Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cervelo Unloved

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 10:09 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
What actually are the current groupset prices? Campagnolo doesn't have any listed MSRPs I can find on their sites, and it's surprisingly hard to find reliable data from online dealers.
Old 09-24-19, 10:10 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
On to my question.....
My short list of bikes contains Cervelo, but reading here, I see references to those being owned by Doctors, Baristas, and various other miscellaneous trades.

So why are Cervelo owners being type cast?
Cervelo owners are typecast because it's true; they are, in fact, all owned by people in miscellaneous trades.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-24-19, 01:28 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Cervelo seems commonplace at all levels.

Now has anyone ever seen a fast young rider on a Serotta?
ahem! I may not be in the 20s, but yeah I've dropped more than a handful of cat3 crit racers in the mountains, on my Meivici!
Old 09-24-19, 04:49 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
What actually are the current groupset prices? Campagnolo doesn't have any listed MSRPs I can find on their sites, and it's surprisingly hard to find reliable data from online dealers.
A Di2 Ultegra groupset, which accomplishes the wishes of cyclists to multi-shift with one push in similar manner that Campy Ultrashift has offered for a while, is a little more expensive than a Chorus groupset (using Merlincycles.com as reference).
Old 09-24-19, 07:12 PM
trainsktg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I have two. A 2008 (I think) P2 with DuraAce mech. (bought used two years ago in Spokane WA off Craigslist for $500) and a 2015 S5 with D12 DuraAce (bought used last year in New Albany OH for many times that). I’m an electrician but trade, although these days I keep a desk in place. The S5 is demonstrably faster that my regular go-to bike, a 2015 Giant TCR (got that one new in Reno).

Keith
Old 09-25-19, 06:14 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The burning question I have is, if someone wants to become a dentist or a lawyer, do they get a Cervelo to speed up the process?
For dental work, its about cosmetic dentistry where its mostly (but not all) an all cash payment(s). That is the motivation for fast service.

For lawyers, depends on specialty. If personal injury (on contingency), its how fast settlements can be reached.

Thus, is Cervelo "cosmetic" or "contingent"? LOL
Old 09-27-19, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
For dental work, its about cosmetic dentistry where its mostly (but not all) an all cash payment(s). That is the motivation for fast service.

For lawyers, depends on specialty. If personal injury (on contingency), its how fast settlements can be reached.

Thus, is Cervelo "cosmetic" or "contingent"? LOL
Well, speaking for my profession, you go with the bike that can draft on the ambulance.
Old 09-28-19, 04:59 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, speaking for my profession, you go with the bike that can draft on the ambulance.
Oh yes, you go with the attorney types that are ambulance chasers!! LOL
Old 09-28-19, 10:01 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I think Cervelo's are great bikes. Still, I think there are several reasons for this company's decline:
1. They were faddish to begin with. They were the "hot" brand about eight years ago, sold for a premium over other brands, had a lot of unique design elements that now look a bit dated (huge logos etc) and were seen as a rich guy's or triathlete's bike. They didn't change with the times and rightly or wrongly, came to be associated with a slightly dated aesthetic. A backlash of some sort was likely inevitable.
2. They lost their key designer and "Steve Jobs" type figure Gerard Vroomen in 2011. The timing of the brand's slow decline in terms of innovation suspiciously started right around then.
3. They've missed a lot of key innovations over the past few years. They didn't have a true gravel bike until recently. They pioneered the aero road bike but quickly fell behind the bigger brands in terms of (the dubious) integration and hyper-clean aesthetics of modern bikes. It's debatable if the integrated/complicated likes of the modern Madone and Venge are truly "better" but the market certainly liked them.
4. They were very visible in the pro peloton ten years ago with prominent teams like CSC, Cervelo Test Team, and Garmin. New they're only an equipment sponsor of Sunweb, one of the most nondescript World Tour teams.
Old 09-28-19, 12:06 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
^^^^^^^
This

I own a Trek and don't care what the Italian bike owners say.
And since I don’t speak Italian, I also don’t understand what Italian bike owners say.....
Old 09-28-19, 12:46 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think Cervelo's are great bikes. Still, I think there are several reasons for this company's decline:
1. They were faddish to begin with. They were the "hot" brand about eight years ago, sold for a premium over other brands, had a lot of unique design elements that now look a bit dated (huge logos etc) and were seen as a rich guy's or triathlete's bike. They didn't change with the times and rightly or wrongly, came to be associated with a slightly dated aesthetic. A backlash of some sort was likely inevitable.
2. They lost their key designer and "Steve Jobs" type figure Gerard Vroomen in 2011. The timing of the brand's slow decline in terms of innovation suspiciously started right around then.
3. They've missed a lot of key innovations over the past few years. They didn't have a true gravel bike until recently. They pioneered the aero road bike but quickly fell behind the bigger brands in terms of (the dubious) integration and hyper-clean aesthetics of modern bikes. It's debatable if the integrated/complicated likes of the modern Madone and Venge are truly "better" but the market certainly liked them.
4. They were very visible in the pro peloton ten years ago with prominent teams like CSC, Cervelo Test Team, and Garmin. New they're only an equipment sponsor of Sunweb, one of the most nondescript World Tour teams.
The above basically has it covered. They were used by the top pro cycling teams and individuals on those teams, so they got a lot of attention. Back on the homefront: It was not unusual to see someone who was a very average rider show up for a group ride with a brand new Cervelo and wax on about how much faster they were gonna be from now on. The eye rolls and guffahs were plenty from those who had to put up with that fantasy banter.
Old 09-28-19, 06:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I bet majority of Cervelo owners also play golf, buy overpriced health foods at Whole Foods and own a Tesla or some other exotic luxury automobile.
Old 09-28-19, 07:01 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts

This thread is funny
Old 09-29-19, 12:37 PM
trainsktg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I bet majority of Cervelo owners also play golf, buy overpriced health foods at Whole Foods and own a Tesla or some other exotic luxury automobile.
That would be an interesting poll. Me, I can’t stand pasture pool, shop at Kroger and own among other rides two 4-dr pickups and a 4.0 Wrangler.

Keith
Old 09-29-19, 09:27 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I didn't even know Cervelo as a brand had "declined" or been passed up in trendiness by others. I just thought they made good bikes like all the other higher end brands.
Old 09-30-19, 07:48 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's debatable if the integrated/complicated likes of the modern Madone and Venge are truly "better" but the market certainly liked them.
I would add that it's also just a lot easier to find Trek and Specialized dealers in most parts of the country. I don't think Cervelo has much of a LBS footprint.
Old 09-30-19, 08:34 AM
sheddle

I mainly figured they had transitioned towards the triathlete market since those guys still love them some Cervelos, especially the UCI-illegal models.

I always find it kind of fun about whether or not a pro tour team affects a bike's reputation. Generally with the exception of TT bikes, I figure that most pro team road bikes are roughly equal in quality- it's very rare that you actually hear complaints about one (the last one I remembered was AG2R's "Eddy Merckx" bikes which were changed to rebadged Ridleys after the team complained, and Aqua Blue's attempt to run SRAM 1x on a pro team).

As someone who likes Bianchis, it was nice to see one of them win a Grand Tour, and the very traditional-geometry Argon 18 Gallium is one of my favorite looking bikes currently used by a pro team.

Last edited by sheddle; 09-30-19 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 08:56 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
As someone who likes Bianchis, it was nice to see one of them win a Grand Tour, and the very traditional-geometry Argon 18 Gallium is one of my favorite looking bikes currently used by a pro team.
As a Canadian, I was happy to see Argon 18 bikes on the pro tour. My very firs road bike was an Argon 18. I remember riding the bike around my city and hardly seeing any other Argon bikes. Now? I seem to see them everywhere. I don't know if their presence on the Tour has helped broaden their appeal or if it just's the overall growth of cycling.
Old 09-30-19, 08:59 AM
sheddle

Hah, from your profile, you've got a BH too. I had a hankering to get one of those simply because I have literally never seen one here, and also because the Basque are cool.