Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How the mighty have fallen

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How the mighty have fallen

Old 10-16-19, 06:28 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
My very hideous, undesirable, unwanted, unloved, low class Colnagos.

Haters will always hate.
i mean 'hideous and garish' as a term of endearment
Likes For Soody:
Old 10-16-19, 06:46 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
This issue is not exclusive to bikes. Remember when owning a BMW or Benz was a big deal? Now they are built by child labour in some forsaken third world country and bought by image conscious boobs everywhere. Where I live, I see 'Masis' riding around everywhere. Of course they have nothing to do with geniune Masis. Globalisation has not led to a renaissance of quality consumer products, quite the opposite in fact.
So much wrong with your post. So much wrong information. No point in arguing with your “facts” and conclusions.
Old 10-16-19, 06:50 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Soody
i mean 'hideous and garish' as a term of endearment
New Zealand and the USA two countries separated by a common language.
Old 10-16-19, 06:55 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,778 Times in 1,405 Posts
God forbid a company stays competitive by selling something not loved by C&V.

They should only make lugged steel, guaranteeing their demise because there is no chance in hell someone from C&V would actually buy a new bike and those wanting a new bike don't want lugged steel. No matter how much C&V crosses their fingers and wishes it so.
Old 10-16-19, 07:47 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by iab
God forbid a company stays competitive by selling something not loved by C&V.

They should only make lugged steel, guaranteeing their demise because there is no chance in hell someone from C&V would actually buy a new bike and those wanting a new bike don't want lugged steel. No matter how much C&V crosses their fingers and wishes it so.
Well spoken/written.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 10-16-19, 09:16 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by notenoughdaylig
i was browsing CL and came across a "Colnago" flat bar road bike with shimano claris. I thought it was someone being cute and rebadging some cheap city bike. I was wrong. One can now obtain a new Colnago with lowly Claris stock. Et tu Brutus?
You're most likely not the primary demographic of any bicycle company at this point. Companies need to revamp their product lines, no matter how storied their past. Without moving forward with technology and preferences, they become insolvent.

TL;DR: #gatekeeping #firstworldproblems #dinosaur
Likes For smoothness:
Old 10-17-19, 12:59 AM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
A Claris bike is a hit to the prestige and exclusivity, which is where most of the brand value of a Colnago is though. There are a few brands that don't sell anything below 105 if I remember correctly.
Old 10-17-19, 02:57 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
A Slippery Slope

Originally Posted by smoothness
You're most likely not the primary demographic of any bicycle company at this point. Companies need to revamp their product lines, no matter how storied their past. Without moving forward with technology and preferences, they become insolvent.

TL;DR: #gatekeeping #firstworldproblems #dinosaur
Raleigh, Phillips and literally thousands of smaller bicycle manufacturers attempted to appeal to a lower spec bike and it destroyed them. BITD all the large to medium sized marques had skunk works that made 'specials' that were for a select few and millions of bikes were sold on the coat tails of these thoroughbreds. Nothing wrong with that but once the management culture of cost driven manufacturing became more entrenched in the industry these 'works specials' became viewed as an expensive indulgence and their demise (and the entire business as well) was inevitable.
My point is that there is nothing wrong with the cheap and cheerful bike, the danger is the mindset of managers who are convinced reducing costs above all else will ensure the business's longevity.
The carcasses of so many massive and prestigious businesses across the US and Europe testifies to the sheer folly of this business model.
Old 10-17-19, 07:05 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
According to my 63 year old memory, Colnago has produced affordable Shimano equipped bicycles since the early 80's. It's probably the main reason they're still in business. Back then you could purchase a Shimano equipped road bike for $ hundreds less than the same Campagnolo equipped bike. I really don't know anything about elite bike snobs that covet Colnago. I'm too busy riding around and having fun.
Old 10-17-19, 02:35 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I really don't know anything about elite bike snobs that covet Colnago. I'm too busy riding around and having fun.
We're just like you, riding around and having fun. We're on bikes, too, you know - the only difference is they're better than what you're riding

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-17-19, 03:07 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
You know, real men don't ride fancy little crybaby Italyeeni bikes. The Duke (John Wayne) drank beer all night and ate the cans for breakfast. Then he got on his Huffy Space Ranger bike and rode to work. He passed all the airplane glue sniffing wimps riding their sissy foreign bikes. The Duke could ride uphill smoking non-filter cigs. and drinking whiskey all day long.
Old 10-17-19, 03:10 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
My very hideous, undesirable, unwanted, unloved, low class Colnagos.

Haters will always hate.

That Master is not that bad.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 10-17-19, 03:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Here's my hideous Super...

...and my garish Mexico:

I apologize to those of you out there now wanting to gouge your eyeballs out of your skulls

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-17-19, 06:42 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I like orange.....
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 10-17-19, 06:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,345 Posts
Hmmm...
Colnago Impact.

https://www.kabucno.com/colnago-impact-bike-p-1771.html

It looks like it has been out for a few years.

Interesting market placement.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-17-19, 07:06 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 144 Posts
Please, enlighten me as to what is wrong with my opinion. It is based on running an auto detailing shop for twenty years, and seeing the decline in consumer products over that time span. Like most people, you are probably OK with sub-par workmanship and inflated prices.
Old 10-17-19, 08:50 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,176 Times in 1,181 Posts
This issue is not exclusive to bikes. Remember when owning a BMW or Benz was a big deal? Now they are built by child labour in some forsaken third world country and bought by image conscious boobs everywhere. Where I live, I see 'Masis' riding around everywhere. Of course they have nothing to do with geniune Masis. Globalisation has not led to a renaissance of quality consumer products, quite the opposite in fact.
The largest BMW plant is in Spartanburg.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-17-19, 09:11 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Please, enlighten me as to what is wrong with my opinion. It is based on running an auto detailing shop for twenty years, and seeing the decline in consumer products over that time span. Like most people, you are probably OK with sub-par workmanship and inflated prices.
Well since you asked.

What evidence do you have that MBs and BMWs are manufactured by slave child labor in god forsaken countries. Please share whatever credible evidence you have to support your statements.

I have owned and driven Mercedes for over 30 years, starting with a 1967 250SE that I bought used from a guy that bought in Germany and bought to the States. In between I have owned different Benz models from large sedans to estate cars to coupes, both gas and diesels. I now own a CLK 350 cabrio that I intend to keep for a very long time. I am not a Johnny-come-lately to the brand.

Thus my experience with the Benz marque comes from owning and driving them. While there have been many changes over the years and, with the exception of a brief period of time in the late 1990s to early 2000s, I have no seen or experience a degradation in quality. In fact, as much fun as the 250 SE was to drive, my CLK 350 is a far superior car—safer, more reliable, less troublesome and far more powerful.

I suspect that these comments apply equally to BMW and Audi.

I own a 1989 Bottecchia built with Columbus SLX tubing and shod with Campy components. I bought it new in 1989 (actually it was a gift from my Mom who although she was too poor to own or ride a bike while growing up, she wanted me to have a fine Italian steed). I love that Bottecchia, it rides like a dream; barring some unforeseen circumstances, I will own it until the day I die.

As much as I love my Bott, my C59 and C60 are technologically superior bikes. They ride better, are stiffer and allow this old guy to climb faster than I would otherwise be able to climb with the Bott or the Master. The paint job on the C59 and C60 is simply gorgeous. Both bikes are well built. The C59 survived a crash where I broke a finger and a couple of ribs. The C60 survived a rear end collision where an inattentive driver crashed into the back of my car.

So you go on with your wailing and gnashing of teeth about the decline of automotive and cycling technology.

Unless you have hard evidence, not apocryphal, barber shop talk, then your opinion is just that: opinion not supported by hard evidence
Old 10-17-19, 09:11 PM
iab

I recall in 1997, 22 years ago, buying a television, 27" tube, for $300. Today, for $260 that has not been adjusted for inflation, I can get a 4K 50" LCD. My car today is more quiet, safer and gets better mileage than the car I had 20 years ago for pretty much the same price.

While your opinion is not wrong, there is plenty of crap in the world, nothing is forcing you to lower your standard and there is plenty to fulfill that standard.
Likes For iab:
Old 10-17-19, 09:12 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Reynolds
That Master is not that bad.
Is that damning with faint praise?
Old 10-18-19, 03:37 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Is that damning with faint praise?
Had to google that...
I'd say no, more like a BIG understatement.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 10-18-19, 05:52 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 144 Posts
I think you need to read what I typed. I believe that the quality of workmanship of what used to be considered high end, exclusive vehicles has gone by the boards over the past generation. Using water based paints, poor quality materials and sub par fitment are endemic to the marques I mentioned. And no, I don't hang around barber shops being a blowhard, maybe that's what you do. I have owned three Bimmers over the years, so I am not basing my opinions on hearsay. And where did I say 'child slave' labour? Regarding safety, putting a hundred airbags and multiple computer systems into a car do not make them safer, just more complex and prone to failure.
Old 10-18-19, 06:15 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Here's my hideous Super...

...and my garish Mexico:

I apologize to those of you out there now wanting to gouge your eyeballs out of your skulls

DD
I know I've been assaulted with garishness,

but I like it.

A lot.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 10-18-19, 06:46 PM
iab

I think you need to read what I typed. I believe that the quality of workmanship of what used to be considered high end, exclusive vehicles has gone by the boards over the past generation. Using water based paints, poor quality materials and sub par fitment are endemic to the marques I mentioned. And no, I don't hang around barber shops being a blowhard, maybe that's what you do. I have owned three Bimmers over the years, so I am not basing my opinions on hearsay. And where did I say 'child slave' labour? Regarding safety, putting a hundred airbags and multiple computer systems into a car do not make them safer, just more complex and prone to failure.
Except my car today is more reliable, safer and mind the gaps better than any other previous car.

And using paints that aren't toxic to the environment is actually a good thing.
Likes For iab:
Old 10-18-19, 08:01 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Except my car today is more reliable, safer and mind the gaps better than any other previous car.

And using paints that aren't toxic to the environment is actually a good thing.
He's just not getting the "receptive" audience that he thought he was going to get. Cars are safer, more reliable, and last a hell of a lot longer. Bicycles companies have realized that only targeting MAMIL and their ilk is a death sentence. Sports-oriented bicycles are now being targeted to people of all class and creed. E-bikes will become more commonplace with each coming year. Fight me, OP.
Likes For smoothness:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.