Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What wind speed does it take to put you on your indoor trainer?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What wind speed does it take to put you on your indoor trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 07:04 AM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Common sense and physics both tell me an out of control car or truck sliding on ice or snow will squish you regardless of what trike you are on.
Old 10-15-19, 04:08 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I ride the wind often and never shy away. Pretty windy in this area fairly often.

The Santa Ana winds are crazy at 40 MPH and gusts up to 65.

I ride the same as any other ride. No doing this or that direction first. I just ride, it builds character. I prefer it that way mainly because when you go do a ride or timed event, you don't get to chose your ride direction.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 10-16-19, 03:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
50 mph gusts predicted for tonight. trees will come down
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-17-19, 09:22 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
50 mph gusts predicted for tonight. trees will come down
I rode indoors today because it was the same here in NYC. I used BigringVR for the first time and did a trip up the fjord in Norway, which was similar to my trip up the fjord for real a year ago. The virtual ride was further up in the fjord than where I was in Balestrand.
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-17-19, 09:34 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
My biggest worry is getting trapped on a local canyon road when the Santa Ana winds are roaring and the risk of fire is great.

Otherwise it would take wind of 30 mph or more, to keep indoors.
Old 10-18-19, 04:18 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Canyons and mountains. Good point. I was once on a ride up GMR with a group of forum members. Wind was blowing about 30 mph gusts. Approached a clearing at the top of a mtn saddle when one rider let go of his hb's with one hand to zip up his windbreaker. Gust got him and slammed him to the ground. Out cold. He was one of the lightweight riders. Good thing about not riding or being a super light.
Old 10-18-19, 04:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
When winds are 25-30 and gusting, that’s when I grab the mountain bike and ride trails.
Old 10-19-19, 12:09 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I rode yesterday 10/18, wind was in the 30s with gusts to 45. When going up hill into the wind, I was glad I had my triple with its granny gear!!!!
Old 10-21-19, 12:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sunday's ride confirmed my general rule for cutting off outdoor rides with wind at 30 mph. Usually I'm concerned about debris being blown around, but I've been trying some semi-aero wheels with 30mm rims. It's just enough different from my old school low profile rims that I can feel the effect of crosswind.

The wind was 20 mph steady with gusts to 30 from the south. But the weather seemed okay otherwise, warm with clear skies. But my phone's weather app warned of a fast developing storm so I cut it short at the 12 mile mark and decided to take a safer eastbound route home.

The strong south wind was buffeting the bike's wheels enough that it was difficult to hold a steady line. I wasn't all over the road, at worst my line deviated maybe 6 inches from my intended line. I've ridden in worse conditions with much harsher gusts. But I noticed that was enough to make vehicles behind me either hesitate to pass, or to pass with a much wider berth than usual. Since this was a two lane access road with little traffic, no big deal. But I'd intended to take a familiar rural farm to market road, two narrow lanes, no shoulder, no way to "share the lane" -- drivers need to cross into the opposite lane to pass safely, and usually that's no problem. Not much traffic there either. But the crosswind effect is worse on that road over open prairie.

I'm not sure the small aero advantage to deep dish high profile wheels is worth the hassle in windy conditions. I see several folks riding those for everyday rides, not just for time trials or to set new personal bests. Doesn't seem practical.

I have a spare wheelset, low profile rims, and may switch back to those for everyday use, especially windy conditions.