Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What kind of shoes (and other clothes) are you wearing on your hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-16-16, 01:34 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts

As I was starting to shop around for hybrid clothes, I wasn't really sure what was appropriate. I'm not on a road bike, so full garb didn't seem appropriate. But neither did just regular gym clothes.

Ultimately I decided on padded Lycra shorts (pretty much a requirement so not a lot of wiggle room here) and a plain black undershirt/T-shirt that is somewhat form fitting (not too loose, not to tight). But then I was left wondering what kind of shoes to get, so I started looking around. My running shoes definitely didn't seem appropriate, but neither did all out cycling shoes (I just have flat/normal pedals anyway), nor did some casual Adidas or Pumas or whatever. I just knew I wanted something low profile but sporty, that could be worn into places if I stop somewhere on a ride. After perusing the mall and coming up empty, I actually landed somewhere I never thought I would - indoor soccer shoes. They fit the bill perfectly - low profile, sporty, comfortable (just did a 60 mile ride with no socks), and can be worn anywhere. Best of all, these were only $50, and they are a perfect match to the color scheme on my bike:

All in all with the padded shorts and a somewhat nice fitting T-shirt (and helmet of course), it seems to be the perfect balance for a semi serious hybrid ride. If you are struggling with a shoe choice like I was, might want to check out indoor soccer shoes. In fact I'm so happy with them I might go grab another pair before they are gone and stash them for a couple years down the road when these get gross.

So what do you wear when out on your hybrid for a long ride?
Old 08-16-16, 01:53 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...there are lots of shorts for cycling that are not padded lycra. I have 4 pairs of cycling shorts, two of them are more like cargo shorts that I can wear all day either before or after I've been on my bike...the others are definitely designed more for cycling as they fit more snugly and have longer legs with only two back pockets. As for shirts, you can wear a plain old t-shirt or buy something that will breath a lot better while you're out on your bike, there are a lot of jerseys you can buy that aren't tight fitting with all the advertising. What you want to look for is a longer fit particularly at the back and the ability to wick perspiration, some even come with small pockets for your keys or whatever you want to bring along. One of my shirts actually has a microfiber section to wipe off your glasses. Shoes are a matter of personal choice and taste, everyone has their own preference and there are styles available to suit all of them - you can ones that look like lightweight hikers and you can even get sandals for clip ins...
Old 08-16-16, 02:24 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
normal casual clothes. Shorts and a tshirt, maybe jeans, nothing padded but i did intend to get some cycling shorts just can't bring myself to pay $50 for them. Not sure if those shoes are low profile like these bright red and yellow things you see today. and why no socks? Jogging shoes work fine for me. Not particularly stylish or good, some cheap asics somebody else didn't want.
Old 08-16-16, 03:47 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run flat pedals also , what I like are semi protective , well breathing shoes like these.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...andal/40808140
I also hate when my feet are hot.
For a shirt I like 100% polyester , short sleeve , semi close fitting shirt without collar.
This seems to take away sweat and make me feel cooler as I sweat.
Some manufacturers will state the uv protection of the material , I got a nice back tan before I knew this.
I'm looking at touring shorts (semi baggy) with crotch padding (thin) I've been using black 100% nylon cargo shorts with wide spaced rear patch pockets.
Watch the pocket spacing , as they can chew up your buns pretty bad if they are near your sit bones.
These make my butt sweat someting terrible , but nobody can tell but me when I ride.
Also , when trying on shorts , bend over and see if anything pulls funny in the crotch , a different brand might be better , because of the way it's stitched.
Time and miles separate what works for you and what doesn't.
Good luck , ride much
Mick
Old 08-16-16, 04:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Usually I wear my old Montrail low top hiking shoes for bicycling. Sometimes lightweight, thin-soled deck shoes, which means I have to lower the saddle height just a bit to compensate for the difference in sole thickness. Good enough with my hybrid's wide flat platform pedals.

I switch between Nashbar baggy cycling shorts and a couple of pairs of cargo shorts I already had. The lighter weight cotton and poly or nylon blends are more comfortable in summer.

I tried to avoid getting too much into cycling apparel, but finally quit fighting things and got a couple of poly cycling jerseys. They're casual fit and style, not obviously bike-y. But the poly mesh fabric is much more comfortable than my cotton pullovers in summer.

And I tried a couple of different pairs of padded cycling shorts but found them unnecessary for my hybrid bike's padded saddle. And during the hottest, muggiest swampbutt part of the summer the padded shorts held too much perspiration and aggravated my heat rash. So last week I switched to Champion tech fabric boxers. Very comfortable. The heat rash cleared up within a couple of days. Turns out I just didn't need the padded shorts with a padded saddle, and the Champion boxer undershorts are made with the same wicking fabric as most active wear shorts and shirts. And they support the boys at least as well as dedicated cycling shorts, so no problems with stuff getting in the way during longer rides.
Old 08-16-16, 04:20 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wear thin sports shorts and cotton tank tops in summer and in winter I wear a thin dainese motorcycle jacket I scored at a thrift shop years ago. I always wear thin motorcycle gloves too. I would wear longer shorts if I thought they would protect my knees in a spill. Perhaps one day they'll market something with a thin kevlar lining. They have motorcycle pants with that so it's not out of the ballpark.
Old 08-16-16, 04:53 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
I have several moisture wicking kind of shirts and shorts to help me keep cool that I bought from either WalMart or Dicks SPorting goods. I do have one padded cycling underwear to use on my longer rides. Absolutely have to have good socks, I hate warm feet during warmer weather, so I use Defeet socks.

I also use GIRO mountain bike shoes for my clipless pedals.

Now in cooler weather, this is different.
Old 08-16-16, 07:31 PM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
In summer, I cannot wear shoes and socks, so when I ride, and it comes to footwear, I wear thongs (flip flops I think the rest of the world calls them ), and on longer rides, sandals.

shorts and a singlet top or a t-shirt, sometimes shirtless, feels nice to have the wind blow on your body, and although I never will? I have often thought about what it would feel like to ride naked.
Old 08-16-16, 08:07 PM
Korax

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Flip flops. No socks. Cargo shorts and a tee. Without exception. But then, I'm in Hawaii.
Old 08-16-16, 09:03 PM
ikaika777

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape 2, 2013 Giant Escape 2, 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I wear Five Ten Freerider shoes, Addidas type shorts, and T-shirts.
Old 08-17-16, 04:43 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Keen sandals till it gets cold, then skateboard shoes. I'm usually in shorts and a T shirt and often just go with that. If I know I'm going long then cycling shorts and wicking T shirt or polo shirt. As it gets colder stretch pants or lightweight nylon pants w or w/o long johns. Pearl Izumi rain jacket for wind, cold, rain and visibility.
Old 08-17-16, 05:06 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I wear baggy cargo shorts and a simple t shirt. Shoes are Nike running shoes.

I don't have any biking specific attire bc I put that $ back into the bike somehow lol
Old 08-17-16, 05:12 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
As always, in response to 'clothing threads': wear what you like.

Me? Cycling-specific stuff, all seasons as appropriate. Jerseys, shorts, tights, jackets + cycling shoes w/clipless pedals. I can't stand riding wearing anything else -- especially anything with cotton in it.
Old 08-17-16, 06:17 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mt bike shorts with liners, not quite as revealing as road shorts. Mt bike jersey or regular jersey. Don't forget gloves and a helmet. I have several pairs of mt bike shoes that now have cleats, I'm learning my clipped in moves. I also find thick socks help me not to get friction burns on the bottom of my feet, but they have to be wool to work well.

For winter riding when it's really cold, I bought the ultimate luxury items - Columbia heated coat, boots, and gloves. They are truly great in temps below about 15 F. Battery life is 1-3 hours, boots up to 6, but I carry a couple of spares on longer rides. Plus wool hat, baclava if really cold. Usually thermal base layer like UA 4.0.
Old 08-17-16, 06:44 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sail
Keen sandals till it gets cold,
Keen , my sandals of choice for long summer rides

Winter is full on fur inlined coat, thermals, ski gloves, boots with fur inside, face mask, fur inlined head gear that covers the ears and straps at the chin. And damn, winter is coming up
Old 08-17-16, 07:37 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
if you need spandex padded shorts you either don't ride much or don't have a seat that fits you.
Old 08-17-16, 07:50 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I wear Five Ten Freerider shoes, padded bike shorts with light weight running pants on top of the bike shorts. I also wear very bright yellow or green cycling shirts.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...dbnKNoSUuq_6Wl

Old 08-18-16, 10:40 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
if you need spandex padded shorts you either don't ride much or don't have a seat that fits you.
An odd thing to say, IMO. Cycling shorts are more comfortable, which is important the more you ride.
Old 08-18-16, 10:44 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
As I was starting to shop around for hybrid clothes, I wasn't really sure what was appropriate. I'm not on a road bike, so full garb didn't seem appropriate. But neither did just regular gym clothes.

Ultimately I decided on padded Lycra shorts (pretty much a requirement so not a lot of wiggle room here) and a plain black undershirt/T-shirt that is somewhat form fitting (not too loose, not to tight). But then I was left wondering what kind of shoes to get, so I started looking around. My running shoes definitely didn't seem appropriate, but neither did all out cycling shoes (I just have flat/normal pedals anyway), nor did some casual Adidas or Pumas or whatever. I just knew I wanted something low profile but sporty, that could be worn into places if I stop somewhere on a ride. After perusing the mall and coming up empty, I actually landed somewhere I never thought I would - indoor soccer shoes. They fit the bill perfectly - low profile, sporty, comfortable (just did a 60 mile ride with no socks), and can be worn anywhere. Best of all, these were only $50, and they are a perfect match to the color scheme on my bike:

All in all with the padded shorts and a somewhat nice fitting T-shirt (and helmet of course), it seems to be the perfect balance for a semi serious hybrid ride. If you are struggling with a shoe choice like I was, might want to check out indoor soccer shoes. In fact I'm so happy with them I might go grab another pair before they are gone and stash them for a couple years down the road when these get gross.

So what do you wear when out on your hybrid for a long ride?
If you are out on a long ride, you might find cycling kit more comfortable. Technical fabrics, front zipper on the jersey, back pockets to hold essential stuff, and comfortable road, or even mountain biking shorts. And cycling shoes. Try it, you might like it.
Old 08-18-16, 11:29 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
My New Balance 606 hiking shoes are surprisingly comfy on my bike. They have a stiffer sole with tons of tread for my spiky platform pedals, and they breathe like crazy; I don't get a heat rash on top of my feet anymore.

I found these t shirts at Target, $6 each at the end of summer. They're men's but they fit well, and barely get damp, no matter how hard I sweat, and come in hi-vis colors.
Old 08-18-16, 11:36 AM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Mostly I ride with a Black pair of Endura mountain bike shorts with or without a liner. Also have some black and black & white cycling jerseys taht are loose fitting but not baggy. Lastly I wear a pair of black Onitsuka Tiger sneakers or Gray Saucony running sneakers. All very comfortable.
Old 08-18-16, 10:40 PM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sirrus rider my self and have just starting wearing lycra bib shorts and its great. My butt thanks my evry day. Cind of strange the first times, but hey, you dont walk around in it, your on the bike for better fitness. Now I wont wear enything else for longer rides :-)
Old 08-19-16, 05:42 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
An odd thing to say, IMO. Cycling shorts are more comfortable, which is important the more you ride.
Agreed. Wearing some dri-fit shorts is fine, but wearing some quality bibs is a whole nother thing - especially if you have some long uphill spins.
Old 09-06-16, 06:38 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Standard cycling shorts and jerseys. It may look silly to others, but it's by far the most comfortable thing I've found for any kind of riding other than going slow (especially in Shanghai's summer heat) and I'm old enough to not care what other people think of what I'm wearing.

For footwear in the heat of the summer I go with something that I can wear without socks and that allows airflow (sandals or similar), but now that the summer heat has eased off somewhat I've gone back to my clipless cycling shoes as I've got pedals with SPD on one side and platforms on the other.
Old 09-06-16, 07:44 AM
LHawes

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear these shorts, bought 2 pairs, and regular Asics running shoes. T-Sshirt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.