Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Early 70s Falcon - Love this bike and want to know more.

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 08:24 PM
NickMStl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long time listener, first time caller.

I recently picked this up off CL for $60. I don't really know about it, but fell in love at first sight and needed to have it. I'm hoping you guys can tell me more. I've scoured the internet and haven't found more than maybe 2 in this color combination. I'm guessing its a 73 Olympic or Black Diamond, but again... don't know.

Campagnolo components and Weinmann brakes. All are in fantastic condition. Bike rides and shifts smoothly and quietly, but could probably use a slight adjustment to cable tension and the rear derailleur. I'll probably take care of that if I get the time. Even the brake pads show little to no signs of wear. Tires may be original, but show no signs of dry rot and hold high air pressure. In an effort to not be deceptive, I'll point out that its biggest flaws are 1) its too small for me AND 2) small tears in a couple decals (pictured).

Wheels are 27". Standover height is 31 inches. Measures 54 cm from center of crank to tube top.

Anything you guys can tell me about my cheap new girlfri.. er... bike, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-21-16, 02:32 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Several Falcon bicycles, from the early to mid seventies, have come my way over the years. I believe this one is close to identical to yours...

I would recommended that you change the wheel rims to alloy. If you do so the ride and braking quality will be noticeably improved. Also...

Though the bicycle looks to be in great shape, the grease in the bottom bracket, head set and wheel hubs is, likely, shot. Time and environmental concerns, tends to destroy the lubricating quality of grease.

Other than that, for now, enjoy the bicycle.
Old 08-21-16, 06:18 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Nice find for the money!

Im not an expert on the brand, but I can provide some information. It's a 1960's bike with good quality recreational components and a moderate quality lugged steel frame. It's a bike worthy of a full maintenance including regreasing all the bearings and new cables and housings. I agree with randy that the steel rims are a safety issue, alloy rims improve stopping power significantly.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-21-16, 06:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a mid-1970s Falcon Model 68, while Randy's is a Model 78 from the same period. The readily visible difference are the solid colour forks on the OP's bicycle versus the chrome tips on Randy's forks. The OP's bicycle uses a hi-tensile frame while Randy's should have a Reynolds 531PG main triangle. The Model 68 was also spec'd with some slightly lower grade components such as the sidepull brakes, nutted low flange hubs and saddle, while the Model 78 got centre-pull brakes, high flange hubs with quick release and a better grade saddle.
Old 08-21-16, 09:56 AM
NickMStl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info! Now, is it "worth" the cost of putting alloy rims on, running new cables, and taking the time to regrease everything? Or, if I sold as is, what would I expect to get? I understand "worth" is generally highly subjective - hell to me its "worth" what I paid just to look at it, but I'd like to approach this objectively. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-16, 04:16 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Sell it "as is" or hang it on the wall as art, assuming that the bicycle does not fit you. You won't make much by doing the work mentioned, and it is more likely that you won't even break even.