Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Gan for $1699 review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 09:03 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...NjQ2F0MTAwMTcx#

I saw a thread asking if this bike was a good deal or not, and thought I'd give my two cents worth.

Complaints...

Only two.

The "aero stem/headset cap" is not very user friendly. The cap is tall and doesn't allow the stem to be as low as I want. The "aero" stem is -6 or so (no specs on it) and I want a -17. So I will lose the clean look of the special stem and cap, and opt for a traditional stem and low profile bearing cap. Warning... The bike comes with a 120mm stem. I am 6'3" and stretched way out on a 57.7cm frame.

I like a forward saddle, so the setback post puts me at the forward stop and wishing I had a way to get a bit more forward. This is a small gripe though, and wont affect most people who ride a traditional position normally.

The good.

I had a Stages Ultegra crank already, so I swapped it out of the box. Weight will be a little lighter than stock here, but not by much. I also swapped Ultegra brakes to match, so keep that in mind.

That said, with the Ultegra bits and HED Jet 6+ wheels, the bike is 18.5 pounds, with cages, pedals, mounts, lights, PM, etc.. So ready to ride, its pretty light for the price.

The bike rides very nice. I've done three rides on it now and the feel and the stiffness are very much to my liking.

The stock saddle is surprisingly good. So good, I may just keep it for a while.

The bike is "areo" shaped. IDK if that actually gives gains, but for the price, I'll take it as a bonus.

The stock wheels and tires are crapola. Why is that a plus? Cause I have an extra set for my trainer.

The 105 shifters are well.. So good they are staying.

The cogs are 11-28 which is a good range for me in my area. I haven't done the 20% grade climb yet, so IDK if I'll be begging for my 32 back or not.

All in all, I feel like this bike is a whole lot of bike for the money, and if you've been eying an aero bike with racing geometry, it's a steal.

Last edited by 69chevy; 08-07-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 10:12 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Good review. Bad link. 404'd.
Old 08-07-17, 12:42 PM
stockae92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The correct link: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...road-bike-2016

Great price for the bike. Losing a pound of so should be easy on this one.
Old 08-08-17, 01:26 PM
draganm
b*r*ly ridi*g

Bikes: Masi Evoluzione

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
seat post specific that that frame (not replaceable with aftermarket)?
Old 08-08-17, 01:58 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Originally Posted by draganm
seat post specific that that frame (not replaceable with aftermarket)?
Yes. I believe the Dogma post is the same, but haven't verified.
Old 08-09-17, 08:39 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Very nice bike.
Old 08-10-17, 07:05 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gan < Gan S < Gan RS < F8 < F10

The Gan range is great. I have the F8 and I can say a harsh ride with a stiff frame and little flex. The Gan shares the amazing handling and geometry as the F8 but soaks up bumps better. At $1700 I would be happy with a Gan purchase with no remorse.

Spending $5000 on an F8 frame, I have some regret.
Old 08-11-17, 07:20 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Originally Posted by Panza
Gan < Gan S < Gan RS < F8 < F10

The Gan range is great. I have the F8 and I can say a harsh ride with a stiff frame and little flex. The Gan shares the amazing handling and geometry as the F8 but soaks up bumps better. At $1700 I would be happy with a Gan purchase with no remorse.

Spending $5000 on an F8 frame, I have some regret.

I have a couple more rides on this bike since I posted. I honestly like the bike so much, I would have paid the buying price for the frame only. There is nothing about it I don't like.
Old 08-12-17, 04:03 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
One of the reviews states that moving from a Tarmac comp to that bike was good for a 1-1.5 MPH increase, so this is a great deal!

/s
Old 08-12-17, 04:20 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
I have a couple more rides on this bike since I posted. I honestly like the bike so much, I would have paid the buying price for the frame only. There is nothing about it I don't like.
Awesome, kudos on the bike!
Old 08-13-17, 08:20 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
That's a great looking ride. I'm hoping to get a new frame next spring, I would consider doing that bike instead. Or finding a deal on a gan frame
Old 08-13-17, 08:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I wonder if the (likely?) Chinese workers who make this frame are chuckling over its name?
Old 08-13-17, 08:58 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Don't understand how a 6'3" guy could possibly be stretched out on a 57.5...Pinarello suggests 59.5 for a guy your size...6'1" to 6'8". I'm 6'1" and run more reach for example....longer top tube + 120mm stem....especially since you say you like your saddle pushed forward.

But agree with you about the bike and honestly since the mold is likely almost identical to the F8, really shows how Pinarello over charges for your F8 as higher modulus carbon doesn't cost them that much more...pure profit for Pinarello for customers who want bragging rights of the venerable F8 which is a wonderful race bike and as noted, only with a stiffer ride some will actually not appreciate...and a handful of grams.

Great value from a top pedigreed brand. Hard to beat. New 105 is very good as well and inclusion of excellent Ultegra crank + Stages is a great performance value as well. Well done.

And bonus: Italian threaded BB. Even though the seat post is proprietary, its two bolt.
Pinarello gets it all the way around including aero cues.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-13-17 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 09:06 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
One of the reviews states that moving from a Tarmac comp to that bike was good for a 1-1.5 MPH increase, so this is a great deal!

/s
And that's baloney FWIW.
Old 08-29-17, 08:43 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Don't understand how a 6'3" guy could possibly be stretched out on a 57.5...Pinarello suggests 59.5 for a guy your size...6'1" to 6'8". I'm 6'1" and run more reach for example....longer top tube + 120mm stem....especially since you say you like your saddle pushed forward.

But agree with you about the bike and honestly since the mold is likely almost identical to the F8, really shows how Pinarello over charges for your F8 as higher modulus carbon doesn't cost them that much more...pure profit for Pinarello for customers who want bragging rights of the venerable F8 which is a wonderful race bike and as noted, only with a stiffer ride some will actually not appreciate...and a handful of grams.

Great value from a top pedigreed brand. Hard to beat. New 105 is very good as well and inclusion of excellent Ultegra crank + Stages is a great performance value as well. Well done.

And bonus: Italian threaded BB. Even though the seat post is proprietary, its two bolt.
Pinarello gets it all the way around including aero cues.
The stretched out fit is a combination of my body type, the setback post, the long hoods of the shifters, and my preferred position on the bike.
Old 08-30-17, 10:08 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I loked at one for my gf but it came with a standard crank. Didn't want the trouble of changing it out.
Old 08-30-17, 11:12 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Is there much between the Gan and Gan S frame?
Old 10-31-18, 03:01 AM
bing181
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
Is there much between the Gan and Gan S frame?
Old thread I know, but I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone has compared the two (or with Gan RS)
Old 10-31-18, 04:05 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
A ton of money for 105 level stuff
Old 10-31-18, 11:19 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I picked up a GAN S in January (2017 model flushout) for $2399. Full Ultegra, Fulcrum 5 wheels (promptly removed but a nice spare set to have around).

AFAIK the only difference between the GAN, the S and the RS models are the specific carbon they use and the components they hang on the bike. The seat post clamp mechanism is different from the F8 but I think the post is identical. Don't break it, they're freaking $600 new.

I agree with 69chevy that I feel very stretched out (I'm 6'2" and have the 57.5 frame size) to the point that I don't care that the stem isn't slammed. My other main ride is a 58cm Roubaix SL3 and I'm significantly more upright on that bike. My results on the Gan are generally faster than the Roubaix but most of that is probably just a more aggressive position on the bike.

It's coming up on Pinarello blowout season again for those of you interested in a bargain.

They're terrific bikes, I really enjoy mine.

Old 11-01-18, 02:39 AM
bing181
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
AFAIK the only difference between the GAN, the S and the RS models are the specific carbon they use ...
Yes. But the question is, how different those differences are once you get on the bike. Perceptible or not, and if so, how much?
Old 11-01-18, 01:05 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I picked up a GAN S in January (2017 model flushout) for $2399. Full Ultegra, Fulcrum 5 wheels (promptly removed but a nice spare set to have around).

AFAIK the only difference between the GAN, the S and the RS models are the specific carbon they use and the components they hang on the bike. The seat post clamp mechanism is different from the F8 but I think the post is identical. Don't break it, they're freaking $600 new.

I agree with 69chevy that I feel very stretched out (I'm 6'2" and have the 57.5 frame size) to the point that I don't care that the stem isn't slammed. My other main ride is a 58cm Roubaix SL3 and I'm significantly more upright on that bike. My results on the Gan are generally faster than the Roubaix but most of that is probably just a more aggressive position on the bike.

It's coming up on Pinarello blowout season again for those of you interested in a bargain.

They're terrific bikes, I really enjoy mine.

Pretty bike. Have you ridden other carbon modulus Pinarello's to discern any difference in comfort or speed?

Can you share where to watch for what you call end of year Pinarello blow out deals?...who sells such marked down Pinny's?

Thanks and congrats on the bike.
Old 11-01-18, 01:07 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bing181
Yes. But the question is, how different those differences are once you get on the bike. Perceptible or not, and if so, how much?
There maybe a feel difference and maybe even related to 'perception' of speed difference, but many times the biggest difference in carbon modulus is wall thickness/volume required which affects overall frame weight.
Old 11-01-18, 02:52 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Pretty bike. Have you ridden other carbon modulus Pinarello's to discern any difference in comfort or speed?

Can you share where to watch for what you call end of year Pinarello blow out deals?...who sells such marked down Pinny's?

Thanks and congrats on the bike.
I was afraid to try the GAN RS in case I liked it... so no, I do not have any good data. or even opinions. My guess is that it's not going to be terribly discernible but again, I really don't know. For me, blow out worked out to be 2400 on a 4000 MSRP bike.

As for where to get 'um, I know competitive cyclist had a bunch last year, excel sports has (had?) some prior year pinarellos and I got mine from bike bling in escondido, ca. It was a full day excursion for me (2 hours drive down, test ride, hate the saddle, more test ride, meet a friend for a beer type day)

All three of those places will ship pinarellos too, which is nice.
Old 11-01-18, 03:41 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I was afraid to try the GAN RS in case I liked it... so no, I do not have any good data. or even opinions. My guess is that it's not going to be terribly discernible but again, I really don't know. For me, blow out worked out to be 2400 on a 4000 MSRP bike.

As for where to get 'um, I know competitive cyclist had a bunch last year, excel sports has (had?) some prior year pinarellos and I got mine from bike bling in escondido, ca. It was a full day excursion for me (2 hours drive down, test ride, hate the saddle, more test ride, meet a friend for a beer type day)

All three of those places will ship pinarellos too, which is nice.
Thanks TH. Your Pinny is a beaut. Enjoy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.