Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

How can NBC improve coverage of the TdF?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 07-30-18, 07:58 AM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now that the 2018 TdF is over, I'm starting this thread in the very distant hope that maybe someone from NBCSN will see it and leverage our thoughts to produce a better product. I thoroughly enjoying watching the TdF each year and generally think the NBCSN coverage is fairly good, but also feel that they are missing a lot of opportunity especially with so much air time to fill.

To get us started, here's a few initial thoughts:
  • If they are going to keep the team of Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen, they've got to rebalance the load. 3 to 4 hours of air time is far too much to fill with stream-of-consciousness commentary from any reporter, much less one like Phil that has occasional lapses.
  • Paul's commentary on the landscapes and sights surrounding the tour are routinely excellent. For some reason the value of these seems lost on Phil; he treats them like a waste of time. Many viewers who are not hard-core cycling fans cite that part of the coverage as a reason that they watch, especially if they haven't personally been to France.
  • Steve Porino? Yeah I've read the separate Forum thread on him and have to laugh at the criticism. Name me one other sports commentator who can juggle multiple technology platforms, source out inside information during the event, report back live without a hint of "uh" or "you know" in his vocabulary, and do all of that on the back of a moving motorcycle? I can't imagine a tougher set of broadcasting circumstances in sports, and he's the only TdF commentator who is actually viewing the event live. My only suggestion for the Porino segments is to lessen the insane focus on tarmac temperatures. Yes, tell us when it's hot and how hot, but reporting back that the tarmac is 110 deg F is misleading (in cycling and any motorsports); they're not laying down on the tarmac they're driving over it.
  • With so much time to fill, where is the analysis? So much of the coverage is commentary on what is happening or what has already happened but there is very little coverage of what might happen ahead or what teams should be doing next. If you watch any other sports coverage there is always analysis of what each individual or team's strength and weakness is, how it matches up against the opponent(s), and how they can win or lose. There's very little of that in NBCSN's coverage...it's all stream-of-consciousness.
  • The smartest guy on the team is Christian Vande Velde and he gets the least air time. If you were paying attention during Stage 19, Vande Velde was the one who called the moment that G. Thomas won the tour as Froome cracked. Liggett missed it entirely, including the giveaway moment when Froome reached down to key his microphone and say something to Team Sky leaders as he dropped back. More Vande Velde would make the product better!
  • Better use of new technology would make segments more interesting. I want to see Vande Velde strap on those goggles and go down one of those frightening descents at full speed. It looks terrifying from the moto, I can only imagine what it must look like on the bike!
  • There are lots of additional topics that they don't delve into but would make for interesting add-ons. Examples:
    • How about a bit of coverage of the equipment? Different bikes, different approaches, etc. Think about how other sports cover this aspect, e.g. swimming skinsuits, Formula 1 technology, motorcycle equipment, etc. Don't tell me that the suppliers will get mad; the exposure is good for them and so is the competition.
    • What about differences in training approaches by the riders and/or teams?
    • What are the riders focusing on while on the bike? We've all heard about Froome's obsession with watts, but what are riders seeing on their Garmin units and how are they using it?
    • What was the impact or difference of disc brakes, used for the first time this year?
    • What would have happened if Froome would not have gone off-course in Stage 1 and lost over 1 minute?

• OK, I love Taylor Phinney for the different approach he brings but for God's sake someone please reduce his Xanax prescription or get him a little bit of PR training. The "california stoner on a bike ride" vibe is getting a bit old, especially when there's no substance to what he's saying and he can't seem to finish a sentence off. Come on Taylor, it's global exposure!
All in all I love watching the TdF despite it's flaws. How about you? How else do you think they could improve their coverage?

Last edited by cj19; 07-30-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 08:30 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 446 Posts
Maybe more commercials?

Originally Posted by cj19
If they are going to keep the team of Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen, they've got to rebalance the load. 3 to 4 hours of air time is far too much to fill with stream-of-consciousness commentary from any reporter, much less one like Phil that has occasional lapses.
Nature of the beast.

Have you heard Ant McCrossan go solo for 5+ hours on one of the demi-Classics without the luxury of the sightseeing book that Paul reads from?

I agree with much of what you are saying, but I think there is a strong under-current of trying to pack too much shiny stuff in. Maybe that would work for broader TV audiences where people have the attention span of a goldfish. It is a two-edged sword. Much like the motos, and the debate about the barriers and the public, and whether there should be more or less time bonuses, and.....Hey look, squirrel!
Old 07-30-18, 08:36 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Not saying it couldn't be improved but I wouldn't hold my breath. I was listening to a podcast a while back with someone who had been involved at one point in NBC's coverage and he said TDF coverage would routinely get trounced in the ratings by things like fishing and hunting shows. Not much incentive for NBC to invest more than they already have, and I'm surprised they've invested even that much.
Old 07-30-18, 08:42 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
In a perfect world, there would be a 45-60 minute summary of highlights on a daily basis. I love le Tour, and think NBC does a great job of covering it, but there are a lot of days I don't want to watch 4 hours, or even FF through 4 hours trying to find the moves, crashes, or other events that proved important.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-30-18, 09:14 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Eurosport (English) have a guy who comes on during a quiet part of each stage to talk about the wine/cheese/cuisine of the region and give a recipe for a local dish. They also have former pro-rider Juan Antonio Fletcha riding his bike up the day's main climb describing what it's like and doing rider interviews, especially in Spanish. Also on the team is the former pro-cyclist and team manager Brian Smith (Scottish accent) and cycling legend Sean Kelly (Irish accent).

None of the above may suit an American audience however.
Old 07-30-18, 09:19 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
They also have former pro-rider Juan Antonio Fletcha riding his bike up the day's main climb describing what it's like
CVV does that for every stage.
Old 07-30-18, 10:00 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I believe NBC SN is the greatest sports network in North America. They have single-handedly brought back sports like horse racing, Track & Field and others and made them must see events. I cannot wait to see what they do with the Indy 500 next year. They take sporting events that nobody else wants and makes them into winners . They know how to cover a big event like no other network.

Their coverage of the tour is really extensive, it's pretty much on all day long for 21 days straight. There's not much more they can do to get eyes on the TV set than that. No other network would dare take a chance and do that. We'd be lucky to get snippets of the race from the likes of ESPN or CBS Sports.

I really like the crew they have put together to give us the tour and they seemed to pass the microphone around to everyone much more than they ever have. Phil and Paul are the best, they are the Patriarchs of the tour and for me, the voice of the tour. And the rest of the commentators really add some spice to the whole event and I love the fact that they don't hold back and they openly disagree with each other in such an honest way. Bob Roll has a great sense of humor and gives some great insight. And yes I even like Steve Porino!

All-in- all I am thrilled with the coverage we get from NBCSN. It's far better than what we used to get, which was pretty much nothing. Now if they can cover The Monuments this way, then we would really have something!
Old 07-30-18, 10:50 AM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
All in all it was good stuff. To answer your question.
  • Drone work would add some different perspective.
  • On board cameras real time instead of the little snipets after the race.
  • Mic up some riders and have Porino do some live interviews in the race.
  • Access to data. Cadence, power, gear combo, speed etc. on the screen real time would be fascinating! I know the teams would resist thinking it would put them at a disadvantage, but tough,
  • Someone already said this but more behind the scenes stuff. Teams, gear, training, nutrition, race operations, logistics, safety, etc. Way more interesting than some random stone castle. Although, I do enjoy the travel side of the broadcast too.
Someone mentioned Taylor Phinney earlier. He is a Boulder stoner, not a California stoner. So he sounds exactly like he is supposed to sound.
Old 07-30-18, 11:06 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Maybe more commercials?
I suspect NBCSN is going to drop the TdF in a few years. Once the US broadcaster starts cutting off the broadcast with other sports, the writing is on the wall that they don't consider it important enough.

Versus did it, OLN did it...and so on.
Old 07-30-18, 11:13 AM
Nightcap

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I watched it on NBC Gold. Much as I love Phil and Paul, I can’t handle the ads. So I had non-stop stream-of-consciousness from the two Aussies, Matt and Robbie. Not too bad, though they somehow missed the significance of the peloton’s giving Sylvian Chavanel the first ride around the Champs Élysées in tribute to his 18th and final year on Le Tour. Still, it beat the hell out of truck and beer ads ad nauseam.
Old 07-30-18, 11:37 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I suspect NBCSN is going to drop the TdF in a few years. Once the US broadcaster starts cutting off the broadcast with other sports, the writing is on the wall that they don't consider it important enough.

OLN became Versus which became NBCSN...
Old 07-30-18, 11:40 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

Perhaps. Or just further marginalized to internet PPV.

Your precedent is flawed. OLN => Versus => NBCSN is a rebranding thing, not a drop and pick up of the property. Sort of like Leopard Trek to Radioshack to Trek to Trek-Segafredo. At least in the US, there may be some Canadian spawn of OLN that survived. IDK.
Old 07-30-18, 11:50 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by ev780
All in all it was good stuff. To answer your question.
  • Drone work would add some different perspective.
  • On board cameras real time instead of the little snipets after the race.
  • Mic up some riders and have Porino do some live interviews in the race.
  • Access to data. Cadence, power, gear combo, speed etc. on the screen real time would be fascinating! I know the teams would resist thinking it would put them at a disadvantage, but tough,
  • Someone already said this but more behind the scenes stuff. Teams, gear, training, nutrition, race operations, logistics, safety, etc. Way more interesting than some random stone castle. Although, I do enjoy the travel side of the broadcast too.
Someone mentioned Taylor Phinney earlier. He is a Boulder stoner, not a California stoner. So he sounds exactly like he is supposed to sound.
You have some really good suggestions there. I especially like the drone idea and mic ing up the riders for live interviews.

I like the Grid Walk they do in F1 and Indycar before the race starts when the drivers and cars are getting ready to go, the interviewer runs down the grid trying to grab quick snippets and comments from the drivers, team managers, movie stars or whoever they can grab quickly. Its fast-paced and often the comments are quick, honest and interesting. I don't see why cycling couldnt do it to.
Old 07-30-18, 11:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I want to see longer video shots. Like long enough that when you can figure out who they are showing, you can then count the riders, see if so-and-so is there, estimate the time between when they pass and object and the next group does, etc.

Ben
Old 07-30-18, 12:17 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Love the ones about NBC flying drones over the tour and getting live feed from on-board cameras like they owned it.
Old 07-30-18, 01:28 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Love the ones about NBC flying drones over the tour and getting live feed from on-board cameras like they owned it.
Oh, of course NBC doesn't own it. But they'll give ASO one MILLION dollars!

Old 07-30-18, 02:52 PM
njlonghorn

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
The coverage is excellent, and I really look forward to watching the tour each year. I like many of the suggestions on here, and hope MSNBC is listening. In no particular order:

(1) I second 79pmooney's suggestion of longer video segments of a single group of riders. They'll often show the leaders with a chase group in the background, but they don't stick with it long enough to count seconds past a particular shadow / bridge / whatever. It's maddening.

(2) The graphics on top of the screen should show distance to the next relevant point instead of to the end of the stage. When they are climbing an HC, I want to know how many k to the summit, not the finish line.

(3) They need better graphics and more thorough discussions about remaining points for the secondary jerseys. For KOM, for example, it wouldn't be that hard to show how many mountains are left in each category, total points available, etc. They could do the same for the green jersey, but that won't be necessary so long as Peter Sagan remains as dominant as he has been of late.

(4) More overhead views from the helicopters. These can be very telling, especially when the field is scattered on a tough climb. Have the chopper start with the leaders and drift SLOWLY backwards through the entire field, discussing along the way who is in which group.

(5) Don't ignore the Lanterne Rouge!!! I don't think they should overly dramatize it, either, but simply finishing the tour is a great accomplishment and the guys at the back deserve recognition.
Old 07-30-18, 03:58 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by njlonghorn
The coverage is excellent, and I really look forward to watching the tour each year. I like many of the suggestions on here, and hope MSNBC is listening. In no particular order:

(1) I second 79pmooney's suggestion of longer video segments of a single group of riders. They'll often show the leaders with a chase group in the background, but they don't stick with it long enough to count seconds past a particular shadow / bridge / whatever. It's maddening.

NBC don't control the cameras.
Old 07-30-18, 04:09 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
They need to have Lance and George doing the commentating. Their podcast this year was way more entertaining than anything else.

Seriously though. One thing that really annoyed me is they don't make it obvious what group the camera is on when the group is all spit up. When you have the peloton all spaced out and they cut from one group to another, unless the yellow jersey was in it or you happened to recognize someone, you were unsure if that was the front group, a chase group, or a group off the back.

They should have some guest commentary during the race from the GCN guys or other famous youtubers. How bout durianrider anyone? LOL.
More CVV.

Last edited by brianmcg123; 07-30-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 04:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Add the Giro and Vuelta.
Old 07-30-18, 05:14 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Add the Giro and Vuelta.
This!!!

They used to have the Vuelta. Not sure why they lost it though. I don't think anyone shows it now. As for the Giro, I've never seen it! Never been on regular tv as far as I know, just the Italian cable channels.
Old 07-30-18, 05:29 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
This!!!

They used to have the Vuelta. Not sure why they lost it though. I don't think anyone shows it now. As for the Giro, I've never seen it! Never been on regular tv as far as I know, just the Italian cable channels.
Maybe not in the U.S. Eurosport show it, then the Worlds, then Il Lombardia.
Old 07-30-18, 05:42 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
more personal info about the riders. how much money do they make. what do stage wins and other bonuses pay. whats on the menu for the meal after the race. how do the feed bags differ from rider to rider. what kind of tires, group sets, saddles, sunglasses, etc. what happens to all the bottles they throw. anecdotes about the towns they go through

it's good already and I'm going to miss it until next year
Old 07-30-18, 05:56 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Add the Giro and Vuelta.
I'd like that.

And I wish they'd do replays at a decent time on weekends as I seldom get to watch the live coverage.

Overall I think the coverage is pretty good though. Certainly some of the suggestions made above could make it better, but I'm happy to get coverage at all. And I'm not sure how much control they have over some of the camera work as I was under the impression they're using someone else's feed for much of it.
Old 07-30-18, 06:19 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
NBC don't control the cameras.
This. They mentioned it several times on each stage that it isn't NBC's feed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.