Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Rides and Events Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Potomac Pedalers Back Roads Century 2018

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 11:16 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Potomac Pedalers Back Roads Century 2018

I signed up for this back in June of this year. I signed up for the 52mil. ride(there is the century, metric century, 52/47, and the 25/29). Thinking my arm would not feel up for doing the metric. I had recently started a statin for my blood pressure. I had the GP put me on a different statin. So now my arm feels fine.

Since I signed up for the 52, instead of the metric. Do you think there would be a problem if I did the metric instead?
Old 08-28-18, 03:41 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I did the BRC last year, will be doing it again this year. Not a big deal if you switch rides - they mostly want to know for staffing/stocking of the rest stops and the rest stops for the 50 are shared with the Metric century ride. It is a great ride, scenic routes, well supported.
Old 09-02-18, 10:41 PM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I did the BRC last year, will be doing it again this year. Not a big deal if you switch rides - they mostly want to know for staffing/stocking of the rest stops and the rest stops for the 50 are shared with the Metric century ride. It is a great ride, scenic routes, well supported.
Thanks for responding. I finally got a hold of them by e-mail. They said I could do the Metric instead of the 52.
Old 09-10-18, 04:17 AM
jpescatore

Tried to do the Baltimore Bicycling Club Civil War Century this past Saturday - ran into a deluge at the 33 mile rest stop on the 3 mile ride.

This weekend it looks like Hurricane Florence is heading towards the Back Road Century!
Old 09-10-18, 01:52 PM
mike974

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Salsa Spearfish, Calfee Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried to do the Baltimore Bicycling Club Civil War Century this past Saturday - ran into a deluge at the 33 mile rest stop on the 3 mile ride.

This weekend it looks like Hurricane Florence is heading towards the Back Road Century!
Yep, the weather royally sucked for the CWC. Most of our group ended up taking the bail-out route after the 3rd climb. Still netted a respectable 75 miles and 6,000', but I was rather bummed as I was feeling really strong. But I was also soaked and miserably cold when we finished, so definitely made the right call.

And sadly, yes, it looks like Back Roads is going to be a complete wash-out. If we actually end up getting the amount of rain that they're potentially calling for, I wonder if they'll simply scrap some or all of the routes on account of flooded roads.
Old 09-12-18, 05:39 AM
jpescatore

The Back Roads Century was officially cancelled - the Potomac River has already flooded some roads up there and all the rain had already caused other problems, even in advance of Hurricane Florence. Of course, the track predictions for Flo moved further south immediately after the decision to cancel....

I see the Harrisburg PA club has a ride near Carlisle PA on Sunday, looks like lower chances of rain there. I may give that one a try but it is a 100 mile drive, vs. the 65 mile drive to Sheperdstown for me.
Old 09-14-18, 10:34 PM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The Back Roads Century was officially cancelled - the Potomac River has already flooded some roads up there and all the rain had already caused other problems, even in advance of Hurricane Florence. Of course, the track predictions for Flo moved further south immediately after the decision to cancel....

I see the Harrisburg PA club has a ride near Carlisle PA on Sunday, looks like lower chances of rain there. I may give that one a try but it is a 100 mile drive, vs. the 65 mile drive to Sheperdstown for me.
I saw that on their website today. Maybe I will take the metric map, with its' rest stops, and just do the distances around the county I live in.