Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 03:08 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by alfhasian
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I ended up test riding the Specialized Roubaix, the Trek Domane, the Cannondale Synapse, and the Giant Defy. From my test rides, I felt the latter two bikes did a decent job of smoothing out bumps in the seat area, but after riding over some rough roads I felt my hands go numb relatively quickly. The Roubaix and Domane had a similar feel in terms of comfort, but the Roubaix seemed to be a bit more lively when sprinting. I also liked the way Specialized put all compliance above the frame and kept the frame and fork rigid. Perhaps that what made sprinting on it so much more fun? It was also really hard to go with any other bike after getting used to Di2 during the test ride.

If it isn't obvious by now, I ended up going with the Roubaix in the end. And now for the obligatory new bike photo:

Beautiful bike! Just a note on hands going numb, make sure you are fitted properly and appropriate adjustments are made to the cockpit. For whatever reason, it appears you have too much weight on your hands from your description and how fast it happened.
Old 02-14-19, 01:11 PM
mjkish

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Sport in Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not directly answering your question as I don't know if you would be able to convert the stock wheels to quick release, but in my opinion I honestly feel that would be inferior. I've changed out a front wheel flat on this bike and I didn't think that removing the wheel took any longer than a quick release system. The through axle loosens on the right side using a very common size hex tool (I carry a small bike tool with me and the proper size was on it). I love the "flush" look not having the quick release lever, and I get comfort in knowing that the axle will always be straight and would be pretty difficult to install crooked. Hope that helps!
Huh. I had just automatically thought about converting the wheel to quick-release since that's what I've had for the past 12+ years or so... I haven't actually tried taking the front wheel off yet to see how much time it takes. I'll have to give it a shot for myself (I do the same as you and keep a bike tool in a seat post tool bag). I agree about the "flush look" without the quick release lever.

Thanks for your feedback... I appreciate it!
Old 02-14-19, 01:16 PM
mjkish

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Sport in Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Beautiful bike! Just a note on hands going numb, make sure you are fitted properly and appropriate adjustments are made to the cockpit. For whatever reason, it appears you have too much weight on your hands from your description and how fast it happened.
Agreed with going to a bike shop for a thorough fitting... I did the 7-day AIDS LifeCycle ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles last year on a loaner bike that I wasn't fitted for whatsoever, and I ended up having numb hands for literally 3 months afterwards. The biggest issue was that the loaner bike that I rode was much, MUCH lighter than my own bike, so riding along the coast with all the wind was blowing the bike around and I was gripping for dear life to keep control of the bike... but if I had been fitted properly, it would've been much less of an issue. I ended up having to get a (relatively painful) nerve test done where they send electrical pulses through your arm for about an hour and stick you with needles. NOT fun. Long story short: Spend the hundred dollars or so for a thorough bike fitting for your new bike
Old 02-20-19, 12:01 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 321 Posts
I've changed out a front wheel flat on this bike and I didn't think that removing the wheel took any longer than a quick release system. The through axle loosens on the right side using a very common size hex tool (I carry a small bike tool with me and the proper size was on it).
I assume this means you've never changed a front wheel that didn't have lawyer tabs, meaning you had to open the quick release, then unscrew the skewer. I've ground off those tabs on every bike I've bought since the tabs were introduced. I just open the brakes and the quick release, and the wheel falls out. No tools needed.