Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Learning Project bent

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Learning Project bent

Old 06-28-19, 01:30 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Learning Project bent

Here is the 'before' picture of the recumbent I bought last week (actually it is the 'almost before', when it was delivered it had so much dust I could not even see the 'Linear' on the side. I went to work on it immediately.) Guy said it had been in his garage for a long time. It is an old Iowa Linear. I am learning as I go and I dare say it will teach me more than any other bike I've ever had.. So far I removed the rusty chain, cleaned and aired up the tires, and spent literally hours cleaning the dust and muck off of every surface, and about 10+ hours reading various sites including the amazing Park Tool site and the various sites and descriptions and videos of both Iowa Linears and modern day linears. Spent two hours just reading about chains and why they are different from one another and why some can be used for several speeds of bike. I think I'll set aside an entire week to read about shifters. Mine say 'Accushift' and index and friction and I have-not seen anything like them before. I have not put the new chain on yet because some chains are apparently not compatible with some shifters, so I have to know about shifters before the chain goes on.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 06-28-19, 01:56 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
If you have to replace everything, just stick to the correct # of gears, based on how many gears in your rear wheel. Probably 7-speed. It's all standard, although OLD, bike components.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-28-19, 02:42 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

So far, it appears that the rusty chain and the pedals (because I don't like them) may be the only items to replace. The seat is perfect, the tires are good, the brakes are good. The steerer may need handlebar ends. I just have to learn about the shifter system.
Old 06-29-19, 05:22 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@lucille - seen your posts on other forum but this is the first image. It’s a beauty! Brake pads tend to harden over time and don’t grip as well as when new. I would spring for new brake pads.

Install your chain - it will be fine. Can’t wait to see how this turns out. The shifters are simply a particular era of SunTour shifters. I’ve got some similar and they look like you can set to ‘friction’ and just practice shifting.
Likes For Velocivixen:
Old 06-30-19, 08:25 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Here is my other new-to-me recumbent (I fixed the chain, it had just been unloaded from the seller's car).
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 06-30-19, 11:05 PM
Velocivixen

@lucille - Are you certain that you are turning the pedals the correct direction? Stand on one side of the bike (drivetrain side, for example) and say to yourself “back off”. That means you turn that sides pedal toward the back of the bike. What that also means is that when you’re on the left or non drive side of the bike, the pedal is reverse threaded & you turn it clockwise to get it off.

If I’m telling you something you know, then disregard.

I put the pedal wrench on, then use a rubber mallet to hit the end - it sort of breaks the seal, then I can remove pedal by hand.

Both bikes look great.
Likes For Velocivixen:
Old 07-01-19, 05:50 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Thank you, yeas I was turning in the proper direction. I will try the mallet on the pedal wrench when it gets here, the 15mm wrench I have is pretty insubstantial.
Old 07-02-19, 09:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Left pedals have a left-hand thread, which means you turn clockwise to loosen.
Old 07-02-19, 08:02 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Left pedals have a left-hand thread, which means you turn clockwise to loosen.
Waiting for the wrench, am turning in the proper direction, thank you.
Old 07-05-19, 08:52 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
@lucille - seen your posts on other forum but this is the first image. It’s a beauty! Brake pads tend to harden over time and don’t grip as well as when new. I would spring for new brake pads.

Install your chain - it will be fine. Can’t wait to see how this turns out. The shifters are simply a particular era of SunTour shifters. I’ve got some similar and they look like you can set to ‘friction’ and just practice shifting.
Don't like the shifters, decided to sell the Linear and keep the Mach.
Old 07-05-19, 11:14 AM
Velocivixen

Well, you like what you like. Wish I was near you - I’d have bought it. Keep us posted.
Old 07-06-19, 11:23 AM
BlazingPedals

The Mach (I?) is a TourEasy clone built by Andrew Carson in Wisconsin. He'll probably like hearing from you as an owner, especially if you like it.
Old 07-06-19, 02:31 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The Mach (I?) is a TourEasy clone built by Andrew Carson in Wisconsin. He'll probably like hearing from you as an owner, especially if you like it.
It's a Mach II. We've messaged one another, I can't say enough good things about him. He is positive, smart, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Last edited by Lucillle; 07-07-19 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 09:20 PM
sckerber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar Linear Project

I picked up a pair of Linear bikes two weeks ago and came to the realization that my first experience riding a recumbent was on a SWB Linear, it felt like I was flying. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert the LWB to SWB? I need to get it assembled in some working order first. I'm thinking just accurately boring the box frame to press in the headset. Would need to get some idea on where in the frame to do that though.
Old 08-09-19, 07:14 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by sckerber
I picked up a pair of Linear bikes two weeks ago and came to the realization that my first experience riding a recumbent was on a SWB Linear, it felt like I was flying. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert the LWB to SWB? I need to get it assembled in some working order first. I'm thinking just accurately boring the box frame to press in the headset. Would need to get some idea on where in the frame to do that though.
If you have to ask, I'm afraid the answer is: it would be impossible to convert your LWB to SWB. I was under the impression, however, that the (some?) Linears were 'convertible'. This to me would mean that the box frame would already be bored and preparations made for headset installation. If you don't see any of that in evidence, then your frame is not convertible and boring it after the fact, and locating a fork with the mounting piece for the USS steering, all but impossible for a novice.
Old 08-10-19, 09:08 AM
sckerber

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess my question is do SWB Iowa Linears have any special tube reinforcement at the headset? Pictures I've seen seem to show the steerer tube is 90 degrees to the main tube, which would make alignment somewhat simpler. The other positioning question would be what wheelbase to use. My '95 Vision is 36" wheelbase, later versions were stretched to 40". I will probably end up checking with AD Carson at Recycled Recumbents, he's not afraid to cut up bikes and doesn't live too far away.
In the meantime I will work with what I have. Picked up new tubes and tires and QR skewers so I can put the wheels on. Missing a couple of ball joint connectors for the seat, but can just bolt them together to get a ride going. Does anyone know where to get 1/4" balls to fit the quick connect sockets on the rods? I've found 10mm for trunk lifts, but those are too big. The ones advertised for carburetor linkages are going to be too small. I'll check with Peter Stull at current Linear shop for those.

Thanks
Old 08-10-19, 06:55 PM
BlazingPedals

I haven't gotten much from them in the past, but people say that www.grainger.com has almost anything mechanical that you could think of.
Old 08-11-19, 01:55 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by sckerber
I guess my question is do SWB Iowa Linears have any special tube reinforcement at the headset? Pictures I've seen seem to show the steerer tube is 90 degrees to the main tube, which would make alignment somewhat simpler. The other positioning question would be what wheelbase to use. My '95 Vision is 36" wheelbase, later versions were stretched to 40".
I will stop just short of swearing to it, but a 90* steerer tube is extremely unlikely. Of course it would make alignment easier if it were so, but that's why my earlier comment. Steer tubes are usually at an angle between 70* and 75*, rarely more and rarely less. And the axis of the angle to the centerline of the frame has to be bored to an accuracy of less than 1* or the bike will not track properly. It really is a job for the trained professionals. A 36" wheelbase sounds unridably twitchy to me. 40" is probably a good middle ground. No one has ever said Visions were docile and well behaved. The wheelbase of my SWB Highracer is exactly 48".
Old 08-25-19, 03:00 AM
BuckyBob
FrankenBikens

Bikes: Cannondale H400 hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
Don't like the shifters, decided to sell the Linear and keep the Mach.
Ah drats. Been jonesing for a Linear forever. Hopefully it went to a good home.