Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

junior looking to get into racing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 10:48 AM
EPICBYTES
Cyclist

Bikes: 1999 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am junior, i want to get into racing. I know i need get license first, but the problem there is no junior races, just cat 5 or 4 races... Can i compete?
Old 03-04-12, 10:19 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yes.

Everyone (well, males) starts off at Cat 5, juniors included. So as long as the race does not have any age restrictions (i.e.: Master's 35+ or 55+ or whatever) or gender restrictions, you're good to go. You just have to race your category and adhere to the Junior gear rollout limitation.

If you're planning on racing at least 6 times or more, it's worth it to get an annual license. Otherwise, pay the unlicensed rider fee (usually $10).
Old 03-04-12, 11:14 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkadam68
and adhere to the Junior gear rollout limitation.
Not OP, but what is this?
Old 03-05-12, 06:35 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maximum allowed top gear for a junior.

α
Old 03-05-12, 06:42 AM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP: while racing at Wells Ave last year (Local Bostonian, weekly sunday crit), I saw a kid probably no older then 15 racing, kid got dropped but he was in Cat 5 all the same, go for it.
Old 03-05-12, 06:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano
maximum allowed top gear for a junior.
Something like 52 x 14 or 15 (depending on age) .... check the rules for the exact gear inches.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-05-12, 07:37 AM
mkadam68

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Before or after the race, juniors line up and walk their bikes backward in a straight line. The crank/pedals have to then rotate backward. The bike has to be in its biggest gear. They continue rolling out until the cranks have made one complete revolution. This rollout can't exceed 25 feet (I think that's the distance).

Juniors can take 3 different strategies to comply with the gear restriction:
  • Get a smaller chainring to go with the rear cluster (I have no idea what the dimensions on this would be: a 46 or 48 maybe?) This may be the most expensive if you have to get a new crank with a smaller OBD.
  • Get a larger smallest cassette to match the chainring teeth (My son rides a 14x25 cassette with a 52x39 crank. He clears rollout by like one inch or so.) I found mine online by searching Google Shopping for junior cassette.
  • Use the rear derailleur limiting screws to "block out" those gears that would exceed rollout. (We used to do this when he first started racing as it was cheapest. Just need a screwdriver. This can't be done in national championship events.) Using this, you're limited to only blocking out 2 maybe 3 gears in back. So, depending on derailleur, if your cluster has an 11-tooth, you may not be able to block out the 11, 12, and 13 to get to the 52x14 combo I said above.

Please note, your tires can effect this rollout. A larger tire increases the rollout distance. So, while my son passes with a 700x23 tire, he might not with a 700x25 or 28. To get the shortest rollout, I have heard of Dad's having their sons sit on the bike during rollout to compress the tires. (Don't know if true--internet based rumor. )

Last edited by mkadam68; 03-05-12 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-05-12, 07:39 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
OP, go to the racing thread and read the post about getting into racing. That will help you a lot.

Secondly, yes, juniors can race in the 5 field. In fact, there are two kids I've been racing against for several years now who are still several years from getting out high school. I don't even think the older one, who is now a Cat 3 on his way to Cat 2, can even drive yet.
Old 03-05-12, 07:43 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Why do they have that rule?
Old 03-05-12, 07:57 AM
mkadam68

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
In the end, it is a good rule to have. As to why? this'll be speculation on my part:
  • Bigger gears take some musculature to use & Juniors may not have that musculature (and we all know juniors do stupid things and wouldn't work well with the honor system: "I promise, I won't shift into my 53x11 for any sprints."
  • If they do, it may be premature muscularity which, more importantly, hasn't allowed their tendons & ligaments to grow enough to support that musculature
  • It also teaches them how to spin at a higher cadence. In racing, when everyone has the same gear, it comes down to who can spin fastest.
Old 03-05-12, 08:12 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Junior talking here. Yes you'll be fine in cat 5/4 races (honestly i like them more than junior races, junior races are boring!) Junior gears is mainly only for junior races, so dont stress out about getting your gears blocked out. I've never been rolledout after a senior race.
Old 03-05-12, 08:14 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkadam68
Before or after the race, juniors line up and walk their bikes backward in a straight line. The crank/pedals have to then rotate backward. The bike has to be in its biggest gear. They continue rolling out until the cranks have made one complete revolution. This rollout can't exceed 25 feet (I think that's the distance).

Juniors can take 3 different strategies to comply with the gear restriction:
  • Get a smaller chainring to go with the rear cluster (I have no idea what the dimensions on this would be: a 46 or 48 maybe?) This may be the most expensive if you have to get a new crank with a smaller OBD.
  • Get a larger smallest cassette to match the chainring teeth (My son rides a 14x25 cassette with a 52x39 crank. He clears rollout by like one inch or so.) I found mine online by searching Google Shopping for junior cassette.
  • Use the rear derailleur limiting screws to "block out" those gears that would exceed rollout. (We used to do this when he first started racing as it was cheapest. Just need a screwdriver. This can't be done in national championship events.) Using this, you're limited to only blocking out 2 maybe 3 gears in back. So, depending on derailleur, if your cluster has an 11-tooth, you may not be able to block out the 11, 12, and 13 to get to the 52x14 combo I said above.

Please note, your tires can effect this rollout. A larger tire increases the rollout distance. So, while my son passes with a 700x23 tire, he might not with a 700x25 or 28. To get the shortest rollout, I have heard of Dad's having their sons sit on the bike during rollout to compress the tires. (Don't know if true--internet based rumor. )
Yeah that would not go over well with the usacycling officials. They would flip out over that!
Old 03-05-12, 08:20 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Here is the USA Cycling website with racing information, rules and on-line application form:

https://www.usacycling.org/

You should check the LBS in your area for any clubs that have racing in their activities, they can help you with training, licensing requirements and race schedules. Good luck!

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-05-12, 08:22 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
There were multiple Juniors in the Cat 5, Cat 4, Cat 3-4, and P123 races yesterday at Bethel.

Age is separate from Category. Everyone has both.

So you can be under 18 but that doesn't stop you from being, say, a male or female. Or a Cat 5 or 4 or 3 or whatever.

A 10 year old placed very highly in a cross race we promoted last year, in the 4s (he might have gotten 8th, I'm not sure). I think he even made a video of his season.
Old 03-05-12, 08:32 AM
carpediemracing 

I should point out that when I started racing I was 15. Even though I trained with "Seniors" I only did Junior races. They are open category usually, so Junior Cat 1-2-3-4 (back then there was no Cat 5).

So one guy that used to race around here was George Hincapie. Another was Frank McCormack. Another Mark McCormack. These guys are really good racers. So the Junior (Cat 1-2-3-4) race was really a national level rider trying to get rid of 20 or 40 or 60 desperate racers trying to hang onto their wheels. The ones that could hang with them for a while were all Cat 1s and 2s, typically domestic pro type riders (Charlie Issendorf comes to mind).

I rarely, rarely, rarely finished a Junior race. I did that for 3 years, suffering like a dog at every race.

The first Senior (i.e. regular Cat whatever race) I entered was a Cat 4 race. I won every one of the 5 or so primes and the race. I got 5th later that day in the Junior race (Frank McCormack won, I think his brother Mark got second). They went on to win everything in the Cat 3 race (they were Cat 3s officially). Later that year he monitored the front of the biggest Cat 1-2 race around, about 40 miles of chasing everything, setting up his Senior teammate for the win. Earlier that day he did the Junior race, lapped us, and averaged some insane speed (all the kids were saying he did 30 mph solo, but that was a stretch, even for a 10 mile race).

The next Senior race I did was a Cat 3-4 race, held in a points format. I won all but the mid-race sprint (there were four I won, I got second or third in the mid-race sprint), and won the race.

Juniors are an excellent but very, very tough arena for racing.

Most Juniors would be better off racing their category, but racing Juniors will probably be the last time you'll regularly race against Cat 1s, 2s, and future pros. If you aren't one of the dominant Juniors you'll be a 3 or 4 pretty quickly (they upgraded me to Cat 3 after one race) and you'll think it's pretty cushy.

If you're a strong Junior then you're looking at being a strong Cat 2 or Cat 1. If you're a dominant Junior, you're looking at being a Frank McCormack or a George Hincapie. Seriously.
Old 03-05-12, 09:26 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
Junior talking here. Yes you'll be fine in cat 5/4 races (honestly i like them more than junior races, junior races are boring!) Junior gears is mainly only for junior races, so dont stress out about getting your gears blocked out. I've never been rolledout after a senior race.
Just because you got away with it, does not mean others will at other races.
Yesterday at Bethel, the officials clearly said the junior rollout would be held immedialtey after the race.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-05-12, 09:38 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Just because you got away with it, does not mean others will at other races.
Yesterday at Bethel, the officials clearly said the junior rollout would be held immedialtey after the race.
They definitely do it at Bethel, and in Connecticut in general. There's also a rule that if you start riding your bike without your helmet on, you're suspended until you pay a $20 fine (to the official). In NY I've never, ever seen that rule enforced, and it's actually a point of contention with the federation (because it voids the insurance policy, and the whole rule started because two Masters riders in two separate races in NJ died while warming up or something). In Connecticut and in New England overall they are very strict about the helmet rule.

I had a teammate once that went to roll out with the then correct gear limit, 53x15. The officials had mistakenly marked off a longer distance and he rolled out a few feet short of the tape. He started experimenting with gears from (Senior) teammates, as did a bunch of other Juniors. They all passed the "rollout" which was a 53x12 or some insane gear like that.

I stayed with the 53x15 because, frankly, that's the thing to do.

After the race the top 15-20 guys didn't show up for rollout. Word got out that one guy failed when the officials used the right distance (there were a bunch of tape marks for the different rollouts, and the officials made two sets of them for some reason, so there were three marks here and three marks there. They were using the furthest of the other side, not the closest.

No one got placed because they didn't have places beyond the top 15 or 20 or so. My teammate was initially placed 7th but disappeared when word started spreading about the failed rollout. I probably got about 30th, one of the very few times I finished that race as a Junior, but it was, officially, a non-result.

Frank McCormack won that race and passed the correct rollout.
Old 03-05-12, 10:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
They enforce Junior roll out in the Senior races here in Florida.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-05-12, 06:30 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EPICBYTES
I am junior, i want to get into racing. I know i need get license first, but the problem there is no junior races, just cat 5 or 4 races... Can i compete?
Hello EPICBYTES, since I just finished being the promoter of record for a race (the first time being the promoter in a number of years), here's what I can tell you. Yes, you can compete in Cat 5 if you are just starting out. As you move up in category you can compete in those races too. Junior Men were 1st and 3rd in our Cat 4 race. A Cat 2 Junior Woman raced with the Cat 1/2/3 Men.

We had a total of 6 Juniors (4 men and 2 women) racing in a mixed Junior race. The older Junior Woman beat 1 of the Junior Men pretty consistently in the omnium.

Regarding this comment:

Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
Our officials, who also officiate the local road races and criteriums, rolled out ALL Junior competitors, regardless of which race in which they were competing. It probably depends on whether or not the officials know if a Junior is competing in a Mens race.

As carpediemracing noted, expect to get dropped in your first few races. If you don't get dropped that's great. If you do, don't give up. Also, try to find a local club that either has a Junior program or at least has some other Junior racers. Good luck and have fun.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 03-05-12, 06:59 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
to all the comments about the rollout. sorry if im leading him astray, i just wanted to give him my experiences.
Old 03-05-12, 07:39 PM
EPICBYTES
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds Awesome, now i just need to find races.
Im curious, what's the average (MPH) of CAT 5 races?
Old 03-05-12, 07:46 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by dnuzzomueller
OP: while racing at Wells Ave last year (Local Bostonian, weekly sunday crit), I saw a kid probably no older then 15 racing, kid got dropped but he was in Cat 5 all the same, go for it.

Wells Ave? I haven't heard that name in years.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-05-12, 07:46 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it doesnt matter. the first thing you'll realize about racing is that speeds are constant. I've been in races that averaged 26+ mph and felt easy aand i've been in races that average 23 and are the hardest thing i've ever done. the hard part about racing is the surges from 20 mph to 30+ mph, not the constant high speed (thats where you recover by sitting in a little).
Old 03-05-12, 07:59 PM
EPICBYTES
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now, I average around 18mph at very hilly route. Is that sufficient for me joining CAT 5 races?
Old 03-05-12, 08:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Sometimes faster than the CAT 2s. The Cat4s passed, well tried to pass, the CAT2 one night in Wompatuck St park and it got a bit ugly until the Official started screaming at them to let us pass.

Look at your LBs for info and try here https://www.usacycling.org/ I doubt Tom Vinson is the Rep up there anymore

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.