Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Giordana ,Retro Gravel Bike on a Budget

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 06:45 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 329 Posts

A Co Worker asked me if I wanted some bike parts,,"No Thank You I have enough crap already."

A couple of days later he brings me a box full of Gravel bike Parts and a rear wheel. I turned him down to no avail ,as I am not a Gravel Guy. The box went in the back of my truck under protest. The parts sat in my garage floor for over a month when I remembered I had a Giordana frame that I was gifted for nothing. So I had some parts and a frame sitting for quite some time and so I had an idea ..., A Gravel Bike ,and so I started assembling the bike with all the parts I had. The Whittier swap meet added a $20 front wheel and Shimano brifters for $50 ,A 105 front derailleur $5 , Facebook Marketplace got me 2 Tires that I purchased from local bike legend Tinker Juarez for $40 ,,I added some cheap Amazon cables and bar tape . Everything else was sitting in my garage in boxes .

The main issue, The rear tire clearance, I fabbed up a dimpling tool using a C Clamp which worked great for the rear, The front tire had Zero issues ,both tires clear the frame perfectly. I painted the thing and assembled it with all the leftover and obsolete parts i accumulated over the years . The derailleurs shift flawlessly even though they are all mismatched . I did have to make a cable adjuster from an old brake adjuster to take up the cable slack on the rear derailleur . I rode it around the block and was really surprised at the smoothness and ease of riding. I think i might have under $200 in this Bike . I also have a extra single Shimano 105 Crank in the free box with disc brake parts and other gravel stuff . I might install the newer Single crank later.

I rattle canned the frame white with some red and blue panels , added the Decals that I bought about 4 years ago, and went to work to try and not make it look like a Turd.. Note, Do not use a Sharpie to color in Panto, It will run if you clear coat it , Oh Well .LOL . I had a bought a can of 2 part Clear Coat a few years back for a project that never was to be, I used it over the decals and the bike and it worked great, It made the Krylon paint really shine .I was shocked at how Great this stuff worked. I will probably buy more for future use.

Is it perfect NOPE, did I attempt to make a Concourse bike, Absolutely Not. And Anyone that knows me knows I dont care about Pristine flawless bikes ,I just want them to ride and Stop like new. Will it get me around the Grand Canyon and Zion when I go in a few months ,Yes..
All told, under $200 out of pocket in this build and I Am Happy.

Old 12-23-23, 08:49 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 148 Posts
Well done Manny. It turned out great. I'm sure you'll have fun exploring Zion on that bike.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 12-23-23, 08:32 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 163 Posts
I'm still coming to terms with "local bike legend Tinker Juarez." That's like saying "local piano wizard Artur Rubenstein." I get the vague recollection he rode in the '91 Grundig Cup series. One round happened near Traverse City. My club helped out and all I got to show for it was a hat, a couple of T shirts, and a wicked sunburn 'cos one of the organizers parked me at a water station with no sunscreen.
Old 12-24-23, 03:19 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 2,018 Times in 1,114 Posts
I almost went to Tinker Juarez's place to pick up a Trek 620 that he had sittingt for ever on CL at a decent but at the time, not my price. I eventually missed out.
Old 12-24-23, 10:01 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Maybe a well placed Comma would have helped.
Old 12-24-23, 10:02 PM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by Classtime
I almost went to Tinker Juarez's place to pick up a Trek 620 that he had sittingt for ever on CL at a decent but at the time, not my price. I eventually missed out.
Ive crossed paths with him on the San Gabriel river trail many times..The guy is amazingly fast ,,and Friendly .
Old 12-26-23, 04:11 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Cool bike Manny - I look forward to seeing it one of these days!