Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is the Domane that good?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is the Domane that good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 04:14 PM
decotriumph

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by blaze96
Is the Trek Domane really that good? I've seen where it is advertise for riding the cobble stones of Belgium but does it make that much of a difference on the majority of roads in the US? Has anybody had any problems with the decoupler especially over the course of a couple of years? I'm seriously considering buying a Domane but I wanted to know if there have been any problems with the system.
I have a 2014 Domane 5.2 (Ultegra 11-speed). I love it. I'm 6'2" and 280 lbs. It's holding up fine so far under my weight.
Old 05-21-14, 07:34 PM
b_t

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a carryover 2013 Domane 4.5 in March for $2100, which was at the high end of my budget. I couldn't find another bike in that price range that was as smooth or comfortable.
I have about 1000 miles on it, and it still rides great.
The only thing that was crap IMHO was the Bontrager race seat which I swapped out.
Old 05-21-14, 07:37 PM
blaze96

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everybody's great points and discussion about the Domane. Went back to the LBS to demo the Domane 4.3, 4.7 and 5.2 with good news and bad news. First the bad news, it appears the Domane 4.3's are all sold out until mid summer when the new 105's 11 speed become available. That narrows the choice to the 4.7 and 5.2. I couldn't believe it, but the 5.2 was a lot smoother on the pavement and had a much better feel compared to the 4.7. I've made an appointment for Friday to take the 5.2 out for a 30-45 minute ride with my pedals and shoes and more of my normal set-up. I'm still struggling to spend this much on a bike even though it will last for many years to come.

Last edited by blaze96; 05-22-14 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 08:25 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
the 5.2 was a lot smoother on the pavement and had a much better feel compared to the 4.7.
It's the integrated carbon seat mast. That's the general consensus from all of our test riders as well, the 5.2 is significantly smoother off the same rough patches than the 4.3/4.7

The shop I work at moves far more 5.2s (both Madone & Domane) to 4.7s. At that price point ($3000+) most of the customers I've helped don't really stress over the few hundred dollar difference of the 4.7 to the 5.2.

Like your justification, it's important to consider it over a longer term than just the 'here & now' when you're dealing with such an expensive purchase.
Old 05-22-14, 12:33 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
The Domanes must sell pretty well here in Denver, though I don't see too many when I am out riding. If they ever go on clearance (5.2 or above) I'd consider picking on up. At $200 off, it isn't happening.
Old 05-22-14, 01:58 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everybody's great points and discussion about the Domane. Went back to the LBS to demo the Domane 4.3, 4.7 and 5.2 with good news and bad news. First the bad news, it appears the Domane 4.3's are all sold out until mid summer when the new 105's 11 speed become available. That narrows the choice to the 4.7 and 5.2. I couldn't believe it, but the 5.2 was a lot smoother on the pavement and had a much better feel compared to the 4.7. I've made an appointment for Friday to take the 5.2 out for a 30-45 minute ride with my pedals and shoes and more of my normal set-up. I'm still struggling to spend this much on a bike even though it will last for many years to come.

You won't care how much you spent on it after you ride some serious distance.
Old 05-22-14, 03:56 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode a Domane 5.9 with Ultegra Di2 for about 260 miles in CA a few weeks ago. Surfaces varied from smooth roads, to beat up pavement (Drum Canyon) to rock and gravel (Figueroa) and terrain included significant climbing (Figueroa, Jalama beach road). Distances ranged from 20 to 75 miles. My favorite bike is my full carbon Torelli Montefalco and I own a titanium gravel/winter bike, and a Kestrel Talon and I've owned a bunch of steel frames over the years. I've also rented Madone 5.2, carbon Giant TCR, two SuperSixes, and a Scott CR-1. I'd rank the Domane somewhere in the middle of that group. I think the combination of the more upright position and the low BB just made it feel sluggish and unresponsive. The IsoSpeed coupler didn't seem to offer any significant improvement over my Torelli which surprised me, especially since the Domane was running 25mm tires and I normally run 23mm Veloflexes. If I were looking for an "Endurance" bike, I'd pick the Scott CR-1 before the Domane.
Old 05-22-14, 03:58 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
The Domanes must sell pretty well here in Denver, though I don't see too many when I am out riding. If they ever go on clearance (5.2 or above) I'd consider picking on up. At $200 off, it isn't happening.
My LBS said that Trek is replacing the Women's Domane with a bike called the Silque. Because of that they sold my gf her Domane 5.2 for $2499.
Old 05-22-14, 04:19 PM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pure joy.
Old 05-22-14, 05:02 PM
blaze96

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a great price on the women's domane! Is Trek also changing the men's model of the Domane?

My goal is to ride a metric century and possibly a century in the latter half of the summer or early fall. I want a bike that will perform but be as comfortable as possible given the events.

Last edited by blaze96; 05-22-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 05:53 PM
bruce19

Wow, what a great price on the women's domane! Is Trek also changing the men's model of the Domane?

My goal is to ride a metric century and possibly a century in the latter half of the summer or early fall. I want a bike that will perform but be as comfortable as possible given the events.
That was an LBS deal not a Trek incentive. They only had that one Domane left and I was there when they put a $1000 off sign on it. I offered to give them a deposit on it and they said they'd hold it because "..we know you." Then I had to go home and convince my gf to buy it. Fortunately she took my advice and got it.
Old 05-22-14, 06:00 PM
moppeddler

Bikes: Trek 1.5, Scwinn Sporterra comp, Cannondale Synapse carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b_t
I bought a carryover 2013 Domane 4.5 in March for $2100, which was at the high end of my budget. I couldn't find another bike in that price range that was as smooth or comfortable.
I have about 1000 miles on it, and it still rides great.
The only thing that was crap IMHO was the Bontrager race seat which I swapped out.
Second that. It took me a couple tries to get it right, but that Bontraeger saddle was a torture device.
Old 05-22-14, 06:08 PM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's ironic that they're willing to spend countless hours designing frame sus. for maximum comfort, only to have all of their efforts negated by a house brand saddle.
Old 05-22-14, 06:56 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by roadandmountain
It's ironic that they're willing to spend countless hours designing frame sus. for maximum comfort, only to have all of their efforts negated by a house brand saddle.

Bontrager has a saddle fitting system that has worked for me. My LBS has a saddle demo policy and I'm trying a Bontrager Affinity rated as "yellow" in their system. It is harder yet more comfortable than my Selle SL, Specialized Avatar and Selle Italia Gel Flow. As we all know saddles are very individual things. If they weren't we'd all be riding one saddle.
Old 05-22-14, 07:13 PM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Domane 4.5,I ridden 3200 miles in seven months. I have no regrets and would purchase another Domane without giving it a second thought. I like the bike so much that if I had it to do over again I would spend more and purchase a 5 or 6 series. With the miles I ride the Trek Care Plan works for me. Dealer has already changed the casset and chain
Old 05-22-14, 07:40 PM
roadandmountain
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info, bruce. I have heard about trek's saddle demo policy and it sounds pretty darn cool. I have to say that pretty much every new trek road bike review which mentions the saddle gives the stock saddle negative marks. The impression I've gotten is that the stock bontrager saddles trek specs tend to be on the hard side.

--

On an unrelated note, I wonder what price point 11 speed 105 will come in at. The current domane 4.3 has mostly 105 drivetrain components at $2200. If the new domane 4.3 with 105 11 speed comes in at the same price point, that would be awesome, although I'd be surprised if that happened. Perhaps a $100 price bump?

Last edited by roadandmountain; 05-22-14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 01:46 PM
blaze96

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Domane that good?

Took the Domane 5.2 out for a 60 minute test ride and it was wonderful. I pulled the trigger and purchased the bike and I will send periodic updates if people are interested during the break in period. But in the end, the Domane was THAT GOOD!
Old 05-24-14, 08:14 PM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will throw my opinion out here, of course I am not an expert or elite cyclist by any stretch.

I honestly don't think the Domane and Roubaix are all that similar right off the shelf. I have ridden both recently as I am in need of a more plush ride. Getting older and have congenital narrowing of the spinal column resulting in neck pain with my Tarmac. I have rode both recently plus the Fuji Gran Fondo and the Felt Z4. I think the Roubaix is different from the other three. The Roubaix is very upright vs the others off the rack. I think the reason is that the seat tube is definitely more relaxed and results in a lower seat height vs the other 3. The other 3 are pretty similar as far as geometry and ride quality to me. The Roubaix definitely sits you back and upright. Personally I think the Felt and Gran Fondo are better values when considering components. I think the Domane was the most racey to me and probably had the least upright position. All 4 are very stiff as far as vertical compliance yet all 4 ride very nice, similar but a little better than my Tarmac, which I think is a nice smooth ride, just a very racey position. If the Z4 were more upright, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Great value.

For what I seek, the Roubaix is what I will buy. The fact that my LBS will take my tarmac as trade in for the F4 or Roubaix is a big plus for me. For me its not even close that the Roubaix is much more comfortable for me. might not be like that for everyone. I'd put the Domane in last place for what I need. However, if you want a bike that you can really go fast with as well as get a nice smooth ride, it might be your choice.
Old 05-25-14, 04:53 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
What is it about the Domane that make it climb so much better? (I don't have enough experience with different bikes to make any judgments myself, so this can be educational for me.) 'Sides, I really want a Domane since I learned how to pronounce it.
It's probably a combination of being lighter, stiffer, better wheels and a change in geometry over my last bike. I spent maybe a half hour setting the saddle height and fore/aft points and it's been off to the races ever since. The Domane definitely fits me well, which certainly helps in climbing.
Old 05-25-14, 06:34 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5.9 series here. had it only about 3 months but it's damn nice. lots of chip seal roads around here and it smooths them out nicely.
Old 05-25-14, 06:36 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and as for the saddle, I loved the Affinity that came on mine, but swapped it out for a toupe 155. I need the wider saddle and the Affinity comes in 148 at it's widest.
Old 05-25-14, 08:22 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
no it is not.