Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium vs. Steel in 2015?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 12:44 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd like to hear from folks that have owned/ridden both materials.

I'm now somewhat familiar with Reynolds 520 and 853 steel bikes and I'm sold. I dig them. So much so, I'd like to build one that is "mine."

Every time I talk to a bike business about building a custom steel bike, I keep hearing over and over unanimously, "If you like steel, you'll love titanium."

Essentially saying, if you are in the process of building a really nice bike, you should go with titanium over steel.

Of course, there a very few (as in no) opportunities to ride a bunch of titanium bikes to see for myself.

For those that have experience with both (of the modern variety) do you agree? Is titanium just simply better than steel?
Old 07-07-15, 01:02 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tough call, but I can try to help. I had a Lynskey R230 that I loved (had to sell because I needed some funds) and a custom steel bike. I don't know what the steel bike is specifically made from, I didn't ask. I just specified compliant, and narrow tubing (for the look).

Both bikes are of similar geometry, the Ti had an Enve fork, steel a steel fork. Identical components, with the steel being quite a bit heavier as weight wasn't the goal.

So, the ride... honestly, I think the Lynskey rode better, but the steel frame had far more sentimental value, so I sold the Lynskey knowing I could always easily order another. I never actually noticed myself having faster times on either bike more often than the other, and my favorite climb PR was set on the heavier steel. In the end, I do not think you can go wrong, but starting from scratch, I would say I did prefer the ride of Titanium, with Steel as a VERY close second.
Old 07-07-15, 01:21 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I would guess that like most "X vs Y" threads on here, people's personal preference or what they currently are riding will prejudice them too much to be able to give you a subjective reading of the real differences. That and unless you're riding two bikes from the same manufacturer with the same geometry, you're not going to see a valid comparison.

I would suggest that a if you have a good frame designer and builder, you're not going to find that Steel vs Ti is not going to give you a significantly different ride quality. Unlike Aluminum where the frames have to be built stiff to avoid fatigue, the characteristics of Ti and Steel are not staggeringly different. Not to say they aren't different of course, Ti bikes typically have wider tubing for example.

What you will find however is that a custom Ti frame is going to cost you a lot more money than a comparable steel one.

The upside of course is that they are relatively bombproof, don't have corrosion issues like steel can, and if you like that sort of thing, can have that cool unpainted Ti look.

EDIT: Salsa make some bikes in both Steel and Ti (like the Colossal), perhaps test ride of both will give you a better idea?

Last edited by dr_lha; 07-07-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-07-15, 01:33 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Good question and i hear the same thing about titanium over steel as well. Hope to learn from peoples responses.
Old 07-07-15, 01:39 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Every steel frame I have used since I was a teenager has broken, including several Taiwanese frames made from Tange MTB tubing, a custom road bike made from True Temper tubing, and others.

My current mountain bike has a robust (not super light) Ti frame which is the only MTB frame I have ever had last more than two years.

Someone gave me an 853 mtb frame (Nashbar) and I have thus far hesitated to build it up because it is so pretty and I don't want to break it, although on paper a bike made from 853 should be stronger than the other bikes.
Old 07-07-15, 01:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 3,951 Times in 2,569 Posts
The ride difference isn't huge. I now have two ti frames, with a triple and fixed. Both have steel forks. My other bikes and all but one before these were steel with steel forks. The various steel bikes varied quite a lot for handling and comfort on rough roads but all were always ride-able. Both steel and ti have road vibration on rough surfaces. With ti it is less jarring and tiring but it is only a matter of degrees. (But I do have to periodically squelch the urge to ride that really bad pavement just for fun.)

Ti bikes are not all the same for road vibrations. Mine are solid, stiff bikes and transmit a fair amount. The Merlin I took a spin on decades ago, far less. (That bike also had steel forks, that being pre-carbon.)

Ben
Old 07-07-15, 02:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,701 Times in 7,381 Posts
My 2004 IF steel frame has a potentially fatal rust issue. That won't be an issue with my new Engin Ti. That's good enough for me.
Old 07-07-15, 02:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8319 Post(s)
Liked 9,126 Times in 4,509 Posts
The softest, most noodly bike I ever had was steel. The stiffest, most harsh bike I ever had was steel.
I rode (briefly) a ti Moots and it felt like a spring. I own a ti Seven Axiom Race and it is similar to a Cannondale I used to have in terms of stiffness.

There is a lot more to the ride than the material.
Old 07-07-15, 02:42 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11982 Post(s)
Liked 6,697 Times in 3,503 Posts
I own both a Merlin Ti and a Bridgestone steel and have ridden many steels. I like steel considerably better than Ti. In my experience I would rate the Ti ride similar to a CF ride, just ok, acceptable. The Bridgestone ride is rather fabulous.
Old 07-07-15, 02:44 PM
Wingsprint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The modern high end steel and titanium frames are both simply awesome. You can't go wrong. Made to order custom frame- even better.
Old 07-07-15, 04:13 PM
dnslater

Bikes: 2011 Guru Praemio Ti (Rival), 03 Gary Fisher Franken-hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both steel and Ti can be tuned or designed to be soft and compliant or stiff. Ti has the benefit of corrosion resistance and better fatigue resistance but steel is no slouch with fatigue. I like the look of raw brushed Ti and like the idea of a forever frame, so I chose Ti but considered steel.

When buying used, Ti seems like a great option, no worry about cracks, fatigue or hidden corrosion as with other materials.
Old 07-07-15, 04:31 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I agree with the above post. I've had both including a Seven Ti and a Waterford. Both ride great. I also test rode multiple Ti frames and didn't like them. The same with steel including others I owned. Both materials can be made to ride just about anyway someone wants.
Old 07-07-15, 04:32 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Titanium is prettier than steel; I can tell you that much.
Old 07-07-15, 05:45 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
They're both great materials for bicycle frames and both can be tuned for desired stiffness/flexibility/rider weight and power by choosing appropriate tube diameters, wall thickness, and butting. The stainless steel tubes from Reynolds, Columbus, and KVA virtually eliminate rust as an issue with steel, and for a given size and geometry frame, the weight is a wash.

This 61cm Reynolds 953 polished stainless Waterford RS-22 frame weighs 1650g.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 07-07-15, 06:10 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
They're both great materials for bicycle frames and both can be tuned for desired stiffness/flexibility/rider weight and power by choosing appropriate tube diameters, wall thickness, and butting. The stainless steel tubes from Reynolds, Columbus, and KVA virtually eliminate rust as an issue with steel, and for a given size and geometry frame, the weight is a wash.

I don't know about that "weight is a wash" thing. My Merlin 54 cm Works CR weighs a scant 1,207 g sans fork, of course.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-07-15, 06:24 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I don't know about that "weight is a wash" thing. My Merlin 54 cm Works CR weighs a scant 1,207 g sans fork, of course.
I don't doubt that, but a 61cm frame has more material than a 54cm frame; a better comparison would be 54cm to 54cm or 61cm to 61cm with the same geometry (specifically traditional level top tube or compact, chainstay length, etc.).

my bikes

Old 07-07-15, 06:29 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

I don't doubt that, but a 61cm frame has more material than a 54cm frame; a better comparison would be 54cm to 54cm or 61cm to 61cm with the same geometry (specifically traditional level top tube or compact, chainstay length, etc.).
Sure, but we are talking about a whole pound. As for geometry and frame style, well you have to use the one that you think optimizes you favored material, not the one that justifies your weight concept. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-07-15, 06:32 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Gotta go bamboo, bro. It's a known fact that bamboo is true.
Old 07-07-15, 06:33 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
IMO, the price premium for Ti isn't worth it. The ride is not much (if any) better and modern steels are even pretty competitive from a weight standpoint.
Old 07-07-15, 06:35 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Stainless can still rust.

Via BSNYC:

Bike Snob NYC: Tai A Yellow Jersey Round The Old Oak Chi
Old 07-07-15, 06:37 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by halfspeed
Not enough chromium and nickel...or too much salt or acid. Sweat I bet.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-07-15, 06:39 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Not enough chromium and nickel.
Too much rust.
Old 07-07-15, 06:39 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by halfspeed
Stainless can still rust.
True that, but the resistance to corrosion varies a lot with the specific alloy. This is a 2007 frame with around eight thousand miles on it in all kinds of weather and based about a mile from the Pacific, but hasn't a hint of rust anywhere.

my bikes

Old 07-07-15, 06:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22640 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
Both are viable. If you are looking custom, more choices with steel. If you already have a builder in mind, talk to them directly. I have both custom steel and Ti frames btw.
Old 07-07-15, 08:10 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2

Every time I talk to a bike business about building a custom steel bike, I keep hearing over and over unanimously, "If you like steel, you'll love titanium."
That's because they would LOVE to sell you a custom Ti frame for double or triple the price.

I have both steel and titanium bikes. For ride quality, both are great.

Titanium wins out in weight and longevity. If you want a lighter bike that will last forever, go with titanium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.