Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with Pinarello gan 105 disc!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 08:17 PM
mgc8915

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys, i'm new to the road bike world, and decided to buy as a first bike a 2021 pinarello gan 105 disc, so i went to a local shop and ask which frame size was good for me, the guy told me i was 54 ( i'm 172 cms and 80 cms inseam) so i went home and order from Playtri the Pinarello gan frame 54 without knowing that pinarellos actually run big!
Right now I'm waiting for the bike to get home, but some friend that have pinarellos told me it was a really big frame for me, that it would not work.

so i don't know what to do now if i have to sell it and buy another (i'm abroad and i've ordered the bike right here) or if that bike would work for me.

Can someone please tell me what are the consecuences of a frame2 sizes bigger than recommended? can i make it work?

thank you guys in advance!
Old 12-26-20, 05:42 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mgc8915
Hello guys, i'm new to the road bike world, and decided to buy as a first bike a 2021 pinarello gan 105 disc, so i went to a local shop and ask which frame size was good for me, the guy told me i was 54 ( i'm 172 cms and 80 cms inseam) so i went home and order from Playtri the Pinarello gan frame 54 without knowing that pinarellos actually run big!
Right now I'm waiting for the bike to get home, but some friend that have pinarellos told me it was a really big frame for me, that it would not work.

so i don't know what to do now if i have to sell it and buy another (i'm abroad and i've ordered the bike right here) or if that bike would work for me.

Can someone please tell me what are the consecuences of a frame2 sizes bigger than recommended? can i make it work?

thank you guys in advance!
that bike is so over price..105 bike should be sub 2k all day.
what u pay.
Old 12-27-20, 11:46 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pinarello sizing runs big. 54 is way, way too big for you.
I would guess you would fit 51.5

Any way to return it unopened for an exchange?
Old 12-27-20, 01:09 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I could have sworn that Pinarello sized their bikes much differently than "normal" too, but it looks like that they changed it...a size 54 has a Stack of 556 and Reach of 384. Sounds like a good starting point for the OP

Here's the geo chart from Pinarello's website:
Old 12-29-20, 11:50 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pinarellos are sized quite differently. I hope the OP can make his work, however i'm going by his measurements stated- 172cm height
Of course everyone is different, but a 54 seems pretty far off the mark
https://www.pinarelloexperience.com/...egra-bike-hire
Old 12-29-20, 10:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
So you went into a shop, wasted their time and bought a bike that is too big for you somewhere else without trying it out first? I would have just rolled the dice from the get go and avoided the local shop or better yet found a local shop that had the bike I was looking for so I could try it. Or you could have paid for a fit which would have been super handy and they could have helped you determine what bike is best and gone over the geometry and such to make sure you made the right purchase and maybe even suggest a local shop to get the bike from so you can get support for it easily.