Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What slows you more, hot or cold weather?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Does extreme heat or cold slow you more
Neither, my speed is the same
1.05%
Extreme heat
30.53%
Extreme cold
56.84%
I’m always slow regardless
15.79%
I don’t ride in either
4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

What slows you more, hot or cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 08:18 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I've found that it's impossible to cover every part of my body to keep it warm when it's cold outside. Even if I can keep my core comfortable, my face, ears, hands and toes will all become unbearably cold.
In the heat, I can always stop somewhere shady, have a good drink from my water bottle, and cool down. Stopping to warm up just isn't an option. You just get colder.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-03-24, 09:11 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I like cold weather. I don't like hot weather. I can acclimate to either, but the cold weather really doesn't require much effort for me to get used to.

That said I am in Tallahassee, but MTB ride at dawn so I am on trails at the coolest part of the day. So despite being in Florida it doesn't get super hot on my rides. I do get plenty of mornings in the 30s F and some in the 20s F. Rarely it even hits the teens F.

If anything I miss the colder weather and the snow from when I lived up north. I did tend to trail run and snowshoe more when I lived up north though.

As far as performance, It was moderately cold for here this morning (34 F) and I did my fastest time for one of my normal trail loop rides by a comfortable margin. When it get colder in the winter I don't slow down at all. When it gets hot I might need to get acclimated to get back up to speed.
Old 01-03-24, 10:45 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
I think there are two aspects to the question, one is general effect of temperature and in my experience the available cold spectrum slows you down more than the heat. But I think the flavor of the question is more about the effect of temps at max performance/effort and so my commuting data is not so interesting. I would agree if you are on a training ride or racing, then the heat will have more of an impact because it will knock you out. Below chart 10 years old I think, but it was 5 years of data from daily year-round commuting. Old man, recumbent, bags, lights, fenders, laptop, tools, etc. I love the heat and never had a problem, even about 100°F but it was only an hour each way on average. No correction for wind but you can see the huge variation.
Old 01-03-24, 02:13 PM
mharri24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
+1 for slowing down in the cold! I'd much rather take off layers and need extra liquids than pile on the layers and have iced-out boogies.
Old 01-03-24, 03:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't really care how extreme heat or extreme cold affects performance or how uncomfortable it may feel. Weather won't prevent me from getting outdoors and riding. Completing a hard ride in sub-optimal conditions always feels great afterwards, far better and more enjoyable than any Zwift or indoor session.
Old 01-03-24, 04:09 PM
2Mins2Midnight

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Epic Evo, and Carve

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Living in Texas and being a bit cold-blooded, I've always preferred riding in hot weather over cold. After racing every Thursday night during the hottest summer on record (temps were usually 96+ degrees at start) this past year, however, my tune may have changed a bit. It took me several weeks to figure out nutrition because short track racing in that kind of heat is really hard on the body and my gut was always in knots after each race. I finally had things figured out by the end of the summer, but this was the first time where the heat has really had such a strong effect on me. But I still hate riding in the cold!
Old 01-03-24, 07:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
What slows me the most is a brewery serving ‘cold ones’ on a sweltering hot day.

Last edited by rsbob; 01-03-24 at 11:16 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-03-24, 09:21 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
I think there are two aspects to the question, one is general effect of temperature and in my experience the available cold spectrum slows you down more than the heat. But I think the flavor of the question is more about the effect of temps at max performance/effort and so my commuting data is not so interesting. I would agree if you are on a training ride or racing, then the heat will have more of an impact because it will knock you out. Below chart 10 years old I think, but it was 5 years of data from daily year-round commuting. Old man, recumbent, bags, lights, fenders, laptop, tools, etc. I love the heat and never had a problem, even about 100°F but it was only an hour each way on average. No correction for wind but you can see the huge variation.
This is pretty definitive and puts the question to bed as far as I'm concerned. I was arguing for heat being worse but data is data. End of story.

Quite surprising that you don't hit peak speed until above 80F. For me that would be well into the discomfort zone. I guess discomfort sensation does not exactly reflect power output.
Old 01-03-24, 09:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Since you didn't say the poll was for just roadies, I voted slow regardless. "Heat" here is different from what most of you experience; we hit 75F three or four days last August so we had several windows open. Not hot enough to slow me down; not hot enough to slow anyone down. Cold (invariably with 70%+ humidity) does slow me down, just because of all the layers. Not being a roadie, and definitely being a weather weenie, under 32F I don't ride.
Old 01-03-24, 10:45 PM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Extreme cold weather, or cold weather; it's not even close. I rode my bike quite a few times in extreme cold weather that numbed the fingers of my hands and legs with two pairs of winter gloves on and two pairs of socks on, one upon another.

I also rode my bike in extreme heat in a country (not US) where it is quite normal for people to die in summer as a result of heat stroke. Extreme heat there did not make me as much uncomfortable as extreme cold in the US did. I also think the heat in the US summer is never extreme, at least to me, having experienced the extreme heat of the summers outside the US.

I hate US winters, the months from December to March, in general, and look forward to the months from April to November, so that I can get out and do some outdoor activities like biking, hiking, running, or even walking.

Last edited by Eyes Roll; 01-03-24 at 11:20 PM.
Likes For Eyes Roll:
Old 01-04-24, 07:36 AM
Wilbur Bud

Originally Posted by Yan
This is pretty definitive and puts the question to bed as far as I'm concerned. I was arguing for heat being worse but data is data. End of story.

Quite surprising that you don't hit peak speed until above 80F. For me that would be well into the discomfort zone. I guess discomfort sensation does not exactly reflect power output.
Well, take care on a couple points with the conclusions.

I think the chart is good for only one basic conclusion, that for normal everyday riding that cold slows you down.

I would avoid validating the peak speed at 80°F remark because this is Excel and so the trendline choices are limited, in this case a linear polynomial, and really my expectation is that with a better model like a rational polynomial then the knee in the curve would be much sharper and lower down, more like 60°F and really I would expect a very slight slope, almost flat, from 60°F upward. When I was first looking at this data 10 years ago my expectation was that the sharp dropoff due to cold would start more around 25°F so I was quite surprised to see it beginning at a much warmer temperature due to I do not really wear anything more than shorts and a jersey until we get down in the mid-to-low 50's.

I think if we could extend the data range in the upper half, say to 120°F or 130°F then yes there would be a huge dropoff/disaster because the body core would overheat at some point. Similarly if the duration of the ride was extended long past my average one-hour commute, say to four or six hours, then again I think the heat would bring a big dropoff or stoppage due to you just cannot take the heat stress forever whereas for cold you can just keep going with appropriate dress.

Lastly, just to restate, the data in this chart are from unmotivated everyday commuting. What makes it fun and interesting is that I could have a lot of data points given it was the same route and distance each day for years. But I still consider that the OP was more interested in higher performance riding, like training or racing, plus there was no definition on bound on the ride duration, and this data is not like that, commuters generally put out moderate to high energy but not peak energy and some days it is more like a recovery ride. In any case, I am happy if you found it interesting as one input of many.
Old 01-04-24, 07:40 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Oh, one thing I didn't mention was that when it is really cold I might get some exercised induced asthma. I can generally get past it with an easy long warmup. Also it is more likely when running than when riding for some reason. I still love getting out in the cold weather and miss the really cold weather and snow since moving south. Mountain biking is more forgiving of the cold weather and getting out trail running or on snowshoes or skis is a nice break from riding when that is not possible/desirable.

Last edited by staehpj1; 01-04-24 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-04-24, 11:02 AM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

I think it is strong and interesting, but with data like this you need to be thinking of confounders. In this case, I wonder about darkness. I'm assuming the cold tracks with winter which means shorter daylight hours. People riding in darkness or limited light tend to ride a bit slower and more carefully. There may be other confounders I haven't considered. That said, it is nice to see so much objective data.
Old 01-04-24, 11:46 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
"Extreme" cold for me on the bike has been around 32F. It may have slowed me down a little, probably because it felt uncomfortable.

"Extreme" heat for me has been up to 120F. That has slowed me down a lot, and sometimes it felt rather dangerous to continue. Weakness, fatigue, muscle cramps, body aches, nausea, headache, dizziness, vomiting.

Nope, there's no comparison. Extreme heat is way worse than cold.

Old 01-04-24, 02:03 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I once rode at night when it was 15F. Due to proper clothing, I was comfortable and managed to stay out (though closer to home) for almost an hour. I had to turn for home when I found the water in my bottles an unpotable, icy slush. They were solid by the time I got inside.

Still, "extreme" being what it is, I'm slower and ride less in extreme heat or cold.
Old 01-05-24, 10:10 AM
Wilbur Bud

Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
I think it is strong and interesting, but with data like this you need to be thinking of confounders. In this case, I wonder about darkness. I'm assuming the cold tracks with winter which means shorter daylight hours. People riding in darkness or limited light tend to ride a bit slower and more carefully. There may be other confounders I haven't considered. That said, it is nice to see so much objective data.
Certainly one confounder I forgot to mention in the recent post is that at some point in winter, I put on the studded tires and they are slooooow compared to more typical road tires, probably a 10% hit, or 6 minutes. Where I live the studded tire season is likely end November to Mid-March if you are being careful, January and February if not. Sure on darkness, as a commuter, about two-thirds of my rides were in the dark.
Old 01-05-24, 10:19 AM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
Certainly one confounder I forgot to mention in the recent post is that at some point in winter, I put on the studded tires and they are slooooow compared to more typical road tires, probably a 10% hit, or 6 minutes. Where I live the studded tire season is likely end November to Mid-March if you are being careful, January and February if not. Sure on darkness, as a commuter, about two-thirds of my rides were in the dark.
I don't live in extreme cold. So I wouldn't have thought of that. So we have at least two confounders. If we had 20 or so more riders with nice data like yours, we could probably draw some general conclusions.
Old 01-07-24, 11:53 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
"Extreme" cold for me on the bike has been around 32F. It may have slowed me down a little, probably because it felt uncomfortable.

"Extreme" heat for me has been up to 120F. That has slowed me down a lot, and sometimes it felt rather dangerous to continue. Weakness, fatigue, muscle cramps, body aches, nausea, headache, dizziness, vomiting.

Nope, there's no comparison. Extreme heat is way worse than cold.
I would concur that 32F is my boundary between “cold but enjoyable” and “why did I not go running indoors instead?”

OTOH, 120F is way, way beyond what I would consider allowable for cycling. About the most I will do is 95F and in that case I’m waiting until at least 4 pm, because at that point most of our trails are in shade.

So, basically, if I think it’s “extreme”, I’m not riding outside, and that’s below 32F or above 95F (possibly lower If humidity is higher.)

Otto