Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shameless Market Research

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 06:46 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts

I have been testing some tubular wheels of late and have gotten annoyed at having to lash a spare tubular to my seat rails with and old Christophe toe strap.

I looked around for a Tubular bag, found a few but they just didn't cut the mustard as far as I was concerned. The Tufo one was probably the closest to what I was looking for but it is HUGE with a capitol HUGE.

I am thinking about developing one here for sale on my website (plug).

Before I go and squander more time and precious resources what would you all find to be useful features in a tubular bag?

My thoughts, thus far, are:

1. It should be small and hold 1 spare tubular (Maybe CO2 as well but not 2 tires and a pump).

2. There should be a small side pocket for keys, some ID and a few bucks for ice-cream.

3. It should attach both under the rails and onto the seatpost so the darn thing doesn't flop around when you are climbing or sprinting.

4. It should be not be festooned with logos and come in day-glow colours.

5. Maybe a small strap or some way to attach a blinky light?

Your input would be much appreciated as it is you lot that I feel would be the typical end users.

That is all.

BTW, I have coloured brake hoods now.

Old 08-16-08, 06:54 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Tufo one was probably the closest to what I was looking for but it is HUGE with a capitol HUGE
almost no way around it, can't shrink the tires.

Old 08-16-08, 07:05 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

^^^ yes, that's how I do it now. I'm talking about this bag. TWO tires and a pump? Overkill, non?

I'm thinking slimmer, much slimmer.

Old 08-16-08, 07:09 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It sounds like you've got it licked. I bought the biketiresdirect.com tubular bag which I assume is the same or super similar to the Tufo bag and it is WAY WAY too big. I have a spare tubular, 2 COs carts, my CO2/minpump combo, small multi tool in there and there is a TON more space...I bet you could fit 2 spare tubulars in there (and maybe that is their plan), but even then it is too long. You make something and I will buy one for sure.

Old 08-16-08, 07:14 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
that is a monster.
I thought they made a single?

* Big enough to carry a spare tire, basic tools and sealant.
* Main pocket and two side pockets.
* Volume: 1.2 L, weight: 57g
Old 08-16-08, 07:20 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler
that is a monster.
I thought they made a single?

* Big enough to carry a spare tire, basic tools and sealant.
* Main pocket and two side pockets.
* Volume: 1.2 L, weight: 57g
Yes, this seems like a branded Jannd bag. Great quality but you could smuggle 2 small Chinese children in it.

Old 08-16-08, 07:26 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
one shape I have not seen is a round bag with the tire rolled up in it like a cinnamon roll.
Old 08-16-08, 07:29 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you have it spot on in the OP
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-16-08, 07:36 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler
one shape I have not seen is a round bag with the tire rolled up in it like a cinnamon roll.

Interesting thought but I think it would be pretty wide. I'm pretty sure people I would hit it with the backs of their legs.

Old 08-16-08, 07:48 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Interesting thought but I think it would be pretty wide. I'm pretty sure people I would hit it with the backs of their legs.
no. tucked between the rails from top to bottom, not sideways.
Old 08-16-08, 08:05 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been testing some tubular wheels of late and have gotten annoyed at having to lash a spare tubular to my seat rails with and old Christophe toe strap.

I looked around for a Tubular bag, found a few but they just didn't cut the mustard as far as I was concerned. The Tufo one was probably the closest to what I was looking for but it is HUGE with a capitol HUGE.

I am thinking about developing one here for sale on my website (plug).

Before I go and squander more time and precious resources what would you all find to be useful features in a tubular bag?

My thoughts, thus far, are:

1. It should be small and hold 1 spare tubular (Maybe CO2 as well but not 2 tires and a pump).

2. There should be a small side pocket for keys, some ID and a few bucks for ice-cream.

3. It should attach both under the rails and onto the seatpost so the darn thing doesn't flop around when you are climbing or sprinting.

4. It should be not be festooned with logos and come in day-glow colours.

5. Maybe a small strap or some way to attach a blinky light?

Your input would be much appreciated as it is you lot that I feel would be the typical end users.

That is all.

BTW, I have coloured brake hoods now.
Dude, this is a project I've had in mind for months now. I already have the entire thing laid out in my head, but the only thing that has stopped me from making it is the fact that I have no experience working with carbon fiber. It is what I would use to shape it the way I want it. The main problem I have with bags is that they are huge, cannot be positioned as I would want them, and do get wet inside when it rains. I ride very early in the morning when all the sprinkles around town are on, so the roads are wet all over. Throwing water and mud tot he tire's glue section ruins the glue job very quickly making it worthless when you do need it. I personally don't care much about fitting most of the things you mentioned, but it can easily be done. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll explain to you what I have in mind. Maybe I can get to test them for you if I get to keep them
Old 08-16-08, 08:13 AM
sounddevisor

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to have it attach to the seatpost, I suggest doing it in such a way that the strap doesn't have exposed velcro that hits your inner thighs. I've pretty much given up on seat bags because they always end up fuzzing up the Lycra of my shorts, and eventually wearing a hole through them.

Maybe a long enough strap to wrap around the post and overlap onto the bag by a few inches, with maybe two inches of the (hook-side) velcro at the end of the strap, and the (loop-side) patch of velcro set back along the side of the bag?
Old 08-16-08, 09:49 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by sounddevisor
If you're going to have it attach to the seatpost, I suggest doing it in such a way that the strap doesn't have exposed velcro that hits your inner thighs. I've pretty much given up on seat bags because they always end up fuzzing up the Lycra of my shorts, and eventually wearing a hole through them.

Maybe a long enough strap to wrap around the post and overlap onto the bag by a few inches, with maybe two inches of the (hook-side) velcro at the end of the strap, and the (loop-side) patch of velcro set back along the side of the bag?
Good point. I have the same problem.

Old 08-16-08, 09:50 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Dude, this is a project I've had in mind for months now. I already have the entire thing laid out in my head, but the only thing that has stopped me from making it is the fact that I have no experience working with carbon fiber. It is what I would use to shape it the way I want it. The main problem I have with bags is that they are huge, cannot be positioned as I would want them, and do get wet inside when it rains. I ride very early in the morning when all the sprinkles around town are on, so the roads are wet all over. Throwing water and mud tot he tire's glue section ruins the glue job very quickly making it worthless when you do need it. I personally don't care much about fitting most of the things you mentioned, but it can easily be done. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll explain to you what I have in mind. Maybe I can get to test them for you if I get to keep them
hadn't thought of carbon. It would make for one expensive bag.

Maybe the deluxe model?

Old 08-16-08, 10:06 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hadn't thought of carbon. It would make for one expensive bag.

Maybe the deluxe model?
Not really. This would actually come out much cheaper than cloth material. Very easy to make once a mold is done, which is very very easy to make for what I have seen on the net at least. What I have in mind would be very easy to mount, easy to carry, easy to put a single tubular tire folded, no issues with velcro (it almost ruined 3 of my assos shorts before I realized it), and much easier to match the bike/components/kits as it can be painted easily in any way YOU want it.
Old 08-16-08, 10:11 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
but you could smuggle 2 small Chinese children in it.
You've actually done this, haven't you Bob?
Old 08-16-08, 10:12 AM
Bop Gun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
one of the guys I know cuts the top off of a water bottle. He stuffs the tire inside the bottle and places it in the water bottle cage. Simple, clean, and elegant. The only problem with this is that you are short one water bottle.

I ride tubular tires exclusively. I carry two cans of compressed latex and I don't carry a spare. This will get you out of most any situation. To me it beats having to carry a spare tire.
Old 08-16-08, 10:12 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
send some kit my way, and you'll be spared from shilling personally in the future.

it worked for BD.
Old 08-16-08, 10:38 AM
marengo
# BF-STL-00020

Bikes: Cinelli, Pinarello, Rossin, Gitane, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/sewuptirebag.html
Old 08-16-08, 11:09 AM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bop Gun
one of the guys I know cuts the top off of a water bottle. He stuffs the tire inside the bottle and places it in the water bottle cage. Simple, clean, and elegant. The only problem with this is that you are short one water bottle.

I ride tubular tires exclusively. I carry two cans of compressed latex and I don't carry a spare. This will get you out of most any situation. To me it beats having to carry a spare tire.
Where can we get compressed latex? What if your tubulars tubes are not made of latex (Continentals ) will this compressed latex still work?

Anyway, I do carry a spare but a 19mm one and not a training tire like a Sprinter Giro or a Vittoria Rally. Good Lord, those tires should be used for tractors. Why a skinny tire? because I can fold it to a smaller package and can go in a small seat bag. You also have to fold them the right way!

Crappy pics from my rudimentary phone!

Here it is folded:

On the way in (REALLY BAD PIC)

And look the 45 cu in performance wedge bag is not even that full. I can still add a couple c02 cartridges.

BTW -- I have used this tire a couple times already. One time I rode 86 miles home. The folding hurt it none. I unfold once in a while. Stretch it out and fill it with air every month, make sure the sealant has not dried out.

Those bags from tufo et al look like oversized tighty whiteys! Mine is also cheap $5 from Performance local store.

Later!
Old 08-16-08, 11:14 AM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
However, I am one of those Freds that now use a small Hydrapack. The equivalnet of 2 water bottles, Rain gear, multi-tool, tubular tire and C02, plus food etc!

I roate around 2 road bikes, Fixie and MTB for weekends with kids. Easier than moving the wedge all around. I only use the wedge for OCP rides!
Old 08-16-08, 05:28 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

That's a beautiful bag but a little to retro for what I'm after.

Old 08-16-08, 05:30 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by logdrum
Where can we get compressed latex? What if your tubulars tubes are not made of latex (Continentals ) will this compressed latex still work?

Anyway, I do carry a spare but a 19mm one and not a training tire like a Sprinter Giro or a Vittoria Rally. Good Lord, those tires should be used for tractors. Why a skinny tire? because I can fold it to a smaller package and can go in a small seat bag. You also have to fold them the right way!

Crappy pics from my rudimentary phone!

Here it is folded:

On the way in (REALLY BAD PIC)

And look the 45 cu in performance wedge bag is not even that full. I can still add a couple c02 cartridges.

BTW -- I have used this tire a couple times already. One time I rode 86 miles home. The folding hurt it none. I unfold once in a while. Stretch it out and fill it with air every month, make sure the sealant has not dried out.

Those bags from tufo et al look like oversized tighty whiteys! Mine is also cheap $5 from Performance local store.

Later!
That's definitely the old school way of folding a tubular. It's almost a lost art!

The problem for me, and I imagine others, is that the back of my legs rub on the front of the bag.

We all know what that leads too...

Old 08-16-08, 05:36 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by botto
send some kit my way, and you'll be spared from shilling personally in the future.

it worked for BD.
C'mon, I've raised the bar here. Not only am I shilling, I'm doing market research AND product development all in one post!

The thing is, unlike many sellers, I'm actually and end user as well. I'm trying to develop something I would buy.

I look at it as a public service. I'm just trying to make the world a better place.

Old 08-16-08, 06:27 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Not really. This would actually come out much cheaper than cloth material. Very easy to make once a mold is done, which is very very easy to make for what I have seen on the net at least. What I have in mind would be very easy to mount, easy to carry, easy to put a single tubular tire folded, no issues with velcro (it almost ruined 3 of my assos shorts before I realized it), and much easier to match the bike/components/kits as it can be painted easily in any way YOU want it.
OK. I've thought about it and now I'm curious.

Email me here: timothy@bdopcycling.com and we can talk about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.