Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how to cut cable housings clean

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

how to cut cable housings clean

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 01:00 PM
Mondoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm happy with the cuts I get with my $15 pricepoint.com cable cutters.
Old 08-19-08, 01:10 PM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike cable cutters I use do a fine job- If it mashes, I cut the mashed bit off, and it ends up fine, I just open up the inner housing with a penknife, or whatever is handy.

Did this today in fact.
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-19-08, 06:51 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04jtb
The bike cable cutters I use do a fine job- If it mashes, I cut the mashed bit off, and it ends up fine, I just open up the inner housing with a penknife, or whatever is handy.

Did this today in fact.
One of the "standard" home made tools you will find in any shop is a defunct spoke that has been sharpened to a point on a bench grinder. Use this to re-round the ends of cables you just cut. With a good cut on a brake cable housing this will slide right into the housing with ease. With derailleur housing it will re-round the hole nicely (but don't push too hard, or you may split the housing). Bend the non-business end of your new tool into the handle of your choice ;-)))
Old 08-20-08, 04:21 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsmithepa
Yeah-yeah, but my argon laser cuts faster then your water jet.
I use my mind powers.
Old 08-21-08, 10:17 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshua A.C. New
I use my mind powers.
oooooooohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...................

then I get my dremel to clean up the edges where my faith fails......
Old 11-18-16, 04:07 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by capwater
Dremel is the ONLY way to go. Plus, if you don't already have one, it's a great opportunity to buy a new tool!
Haha! Now I have a good reason for a great addition to the workshop.

I have this problem with brake cable housing as well. It may be why my rear brake has resistance when in use. It isnt the brake and I have checked almost everything. It could also be the cable guides on the frame.
Old 11-18-16, 04:29 AM
Arny1811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first post

I was told to push the inner cable through so when U make the Cut the outer does not compress and get damaged.
You do not want to file end of outer cable as U are introducing metal that will restrict movement of Inner Cable
Old 11-18-16, 05:47 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Use a good old pair of diagonal cutters and squeeze slightly to get jaws to open up the coils a little and then cut when they fall between the coils. This helps prevent crushes. Follow-up by grinding the burr down on a sharpening stone (old way) or use a Dremel tool (faster). Run the cable through the end a few times to make sure it doesn't snag or grab. Good to go.

The best tool I ever had for this job I broke and that was a pair of Xuron wire cutters. The blades were really thin and got between the coils so well that it left almost no burr. I now use the diagonal cutters though (tougher tool).

Arny1811's post above mine is a good method to but use an old cable and still grind for that burr that is formed. One almost always is.

Last edited by drlogik; 11-18-16 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-18-16, 06:07 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just installed a new set of cables on my bike. I used the park cutters. At first my cuts weren't as straight and clean as I anted, but once I learned to bake sure it was aligned correctly and made a quick clean cut, I only needed to use a flat file on a few of them. I made sure they were well opened and round at the ends with a small punch. An uneven cut is no big deal when it happens. Just use the flat file and a punch to make it about a perfect as it can be. It's really not that big of a deal.
Old 11-18-16, 06:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
A Dremel for the spiral brake housing. So clean and easy. The plastic can melt so something is needed to punch that out.
Old 11-18-16, 07:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
I put a piece of old, discarded cable inside the housing, then cut through both the housing and cable. The cable prevents crushing well enough.

--J
This is a great, old-school mechanic's trick.
Old 11-18-16, 11:52 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
cutting cable

At the Bike exchange we have the park tool and a bench grinder. Cut to length then finish with grinder. At home I use my Side cutters and grind down the ends on my Belt sander. After grinding smooth I rotate the cable at an angle to the grinder to clean smooth the housing which gets a little distorted by the heat of the grinder. Necessary to make the metal ferrule slide on. To open the ends up I use the straight pick from a set of 3 picks I bought at Harbour Freight for about $3. These little tools are a great addition to your bike tool box. Good for cleaning out gunk in tight places and lots of other things you won't realize till you have a problem and realize they are just the tool for the job. Another tool I find invaluable is a pair of electricians wire crimping pliers, the kind with one dished side and pointed on the other. After sliding the ferrule on, a light squeeze with the crimping pliers makes a small dimple in the ferrule. Just a light squeeze- and the ferrule won't slip back off. Also use this tool to crimp the cable ends to the brake and shifter cables.
Old 11-18-16, 12:27 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano Di2 --- LOL

Joe ;o)
Old 11-18-16, 01:40 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
Shimano Di2 --- LOL

Joe ;o)

. . . with hydraulic discs . . .
Old 11-18-16, 02:51 PM
richart
Georgia Traveler

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have any experience with more modern tools, but I can tell you how we did it back in the old days. We kept a roll of soft steel wire (solid-not stranded) on the workbench, stuck the end of the wire into the cable housing, then cut with a pair of good quality 8" linesman pliers. The steel wire kept the helical steel housing from collapsing when making the cut. A quick shake of the cable and the cut-off piece of steel wire would fall out. If working on an inexpensive kid's bike, that is all we did but if it was a quality bike we would make a quick pass of the end of the cable across a bench grinder with a fine stone. Worked well on both the large diameter helical brake cable housing and the smaller diameter gear cable housing. Of course that was in the day before cables had any type of liner.
Old 11-18-16, 06:15 PM
fredstrong

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richart
I don't have any experience with more modern tools, but I can tell you how we did it back in the old days. We kept a roll of soft steel wire (solid-not stranded) on the workbench, stuck the end of the wire into the cable housing, then cut with a pair of good quality 8" linesman pliers. The steel wire kept the helical steel housing from collapsing when making the cut. A quick shake of the cable and the cut-off piece of steel wire would fall out. If working on an inexpensive kid's bike, that is all we did but if it was a quality bike we would make a quick pass of the end of the cable across a bench grinder with a fine stone. Worked well on both the large diameter helical brake cable housing and the smaller diameter gear cable housing. Of course that was in the day before cables had any type of liner.
Only thing I do different is to stick a 4p nail or brad into the housing (something really firm). Lay the pliers on something hard, and !WHACK!, drope the hamer. Mostly clean cut with some bastard-file clean-up. Why eff with so many tools?
Old 11-19-16, 01:43 AM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I use one of these just make sure you set it to stun