Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brakes - stripped bolt

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brakes - stripped bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 11:54 AM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL 2, Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brakes - stripped bolt

I have a Trek 1000. The rear brake has a stripped bolt, I think. It's impossible to fasten the center nut down enough to keep the brakes centered. The brakes squeeze shut, but when they spring back open, it opens completely but crooked. What's involved in replacing that bolt? And, where can I find that part? I live 2 hours from the nearest LBS and leaving the bike there is not an option. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic.
Old 08-16-08, 12:02 PM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe you have to loosen the rear mounting bolt
put the brake on
tighten up
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-16-08, 12:14 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Yeah, the nuts in the picture are not the ones you need to tighten. The one you want is the one around the "back" (actually the forward side). Now if that one is stripped then you've got troubles. If it's the nut then replace it. If it's the bolt then good luck. The center bolts are very specific to the caliper model. And no one has new ones for stuff this old. The guys in the Vintage forum could help and a lot of them are here as well so you'll get an answer hopefully.

If this is a bike you will own for a long time to come I'd suggest that if the bolt is stripped then it's time to treat yourself to an upgrade. A set of newer dual pivot calipers will make you see sunshine on a rainy day from the way they work. I just went through upgrading a couple of my old regulars and can't believe how much nicer it is to have the extra stopping power of the dual pivot calipers.

You'd have to measure up the reach you need but it seems to me that you will need either the regular road style short reach or the medium reach arms. I've got one set each of the two on the link and they both work fantastic.

https://www.tektro.com/02products/10rb-1.php
Old 08-16-08, 01:23 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
It doesn't matter which nut is stripped, just replace it. The outer one can be repalced with an m6 nylock.

If one side doesn't want to move all you have to do is bend the side that is sticking (the spring that is and then reinsert). At some point you may decide if you can' get it right that it's more troulbe than it's worth and get a new caliper.

If there are flats on the caliper section right next to where it meets up with the brake bridge, you can center it like that as well.
Old 08-16-08, 02:52 PM
Sturmcrow

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also a handy dandy tool that interfaces with the spring loops on the back of the caliper to center it. I just got one and haven't had a chance to try it out.

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...tem_id=PA-OBW3
Old 08-16-08, 05:15 PM
BCRider

Originally Posted by Sturmcrow
There is also a handy dandy tool that interfaces with the spring loops on the back of the caliper to center it. I just got one and haven't had a chance to try it out.

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...tem_id=PA-OBW3
I WANT A BIGGER PICTURE! ! ! ! !

Mind you that looks like a tool that a bike mechanic could use but isn't really required for a typical home mechanic that can just hold the caliper while tightening the nut.

.... but being a tool fanatic I could see myself getting one for those rare occasions when it makes me smile to use it.....
Old 08-16-08, 07:14 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
I WANT A BIGGER PICTURE! ! ! ! !

Mind you that looks like a tool that a bike mechanic could use but isn't really required for a typical home mechanic that can just hold the caliper while tightening the nut.

.... but being a tool fanatic I could see myself getting one for those rare occasions when it makes me smile to use it.....
Calipers like that where you would use such a tool are typically low end shyz0r anyways. And a flatblade + hammer, does the same thing after nearly tightening all the way. Or you could just hold it with your hand during tightening.
Old 08-16-08, 08:09 PM
BCRider

Yeah, just holding them with a little side pressure so they sprung back to the right spot is what I did for years before upgrading recently to dual pivot new calipers.

But I'm a tool junkie dammit!