Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How confident are you when you lock your bike up?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 04:22 PM
LosetheBeast

Bikes: Mercier Kilo tt Stripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any horror stories on bike thefts? Do you feel pretty confident when you lock your bike up or are you constanly worrying about your bike?
Old 03-21-10, 05:12 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never can feel confident enough to assure myself that my bike will be right where I locked it. There are simply too many ways of breaking locks to be overconfident. Lucky for me, when I commute, my bike is stored in a room where only a few individual have access to enter at work. I do have to lock my bike in public during a stop on my way home. It is locked where I can see it, otherwise I've never leave it alone out of sight.

I would love to have a very nice commuter such as a Specialized Tricross, but something like that is more appealing to a thieve. Fact is, my original plan was to use my Hardrock as commuter but just the name alone was morre inviting to be stolen than my Schwinn road bike. Ironically, the Schwin cost much more with better component, and lighter weight then the Specialized but look less appealing to would be thieve who are shopping.
Old 03-21-10, 05:44 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I feel pretty comfortable when I've locked my bike to the ring and post on the streets. I use a Kryptonite Fahgeddaboutit (or whatever way it's spelt) with a cable for the frame and front wheel, and a pretty hearty OnGuard cable lock for the rear wheel and frame. So far, so good.
Old 03-21-10, 05:46 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
constantly worrying. I know people whose bikes were stolen because the locks were cut with power tools.
Old 03-21-10, 05:46 PM
LosetheBeast

Bikes: Mercier Kilo tt Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah the kryptonite is the next thing on my list. Those things look bullet proof
Old 03-21-10, 05:49 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pleased with the kryptonite but if I was smarter, I'd have checked the length of the lock first because the one I bought is pretty short. I know the shorter length is harder to pry off but it would've been nice to fit the rear wheel, frame and post in the lock.
Old 03-21-10, 05:59 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lock up with a huge chain and padlock that's mad overkill for the places that I park. My bike is usually the most secured on the rack, and when it isn't it's always cheaper and uglier than other bikes with the same level of lock. So I don't worry about casual or amateur thieves.

Professional, power-tool wielding thieves aren't stopped by anything anyway, so I don't worry about them either.
Old 03-21-10, 06:11 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can only stop the chumps, punks and opportunists. A pro will get what he wants. You may slow the pro down, but they know what they are doing. When I rode motorcycles, I heard stories of pros, in a team of four, picking up a locked, chained Harley in hotel lot and lifting it into a truck and driving off.

OTOH, Most thieves are pucks or opportunists. Locking the bike will stop the opportunist. They grab and ride. A punk may carry bolt cutters, etc, but that's where the super quality lock, chain and cable combo, and a smart locking strategy comes in. https://www.mechbgon.com/lock/index.html

Lock the bike in a very public place. Thieves love inconspicuously stashed stuff. If they are going to take it make them work for and work for it in public.
Old 03-21-10, 06:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Whenever I lock my bike up I am more worried about vandalism then theft.
Old 03-21-10, 06:42 PM
szehui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My work put the bike rack in a pretty heavily trafficked area of our parking garage, so I feel pretty good about leaving it there. The garage is access-limited by our employee badges, and is patrolled regularly by our security guards. In the event I'm at work at off-hours, a beefier gate comes down in front of the normal tollbooth-style gates, so it's hard to get into if you're not an employee. I still use a pretty heavy OnGuard u-lock, but I am pretty confident that if I lock the bike up there in the morning, it will be there when I leave for the day.
Old 03-21-10, 06:56 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Where I work I could leave it unlocked and no one would touch it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-21-10, 07:06 PM
nebuer16

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Cannondale CAADX, Niner EMD, Cinelli SC (1965)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always worry if I lock it in a new spot.

When student teaching at a high school for 4 months with 2,000+ stuents, I locked it up outside with a U-lock. Suprisingly, The bike was never touched.
Old 03-21-10, 07:13 PM
mondaycurse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not worried too much in this town. My biggest worry is an authority cutting my bike locks. A few months ago, I got out of class early to find a college officer about to hack my lock (A sturdy light post is "unauthorized bike parking"), then a few nights ago someone called my bike in as abandoned and a police officer was sent to cut my lock. Yet another time, the mall I work at thought I "abandoned" my bike on the rack during a 10-hour shift.
Old 03-21-10, 07:29 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LosetheBeast
Yeah the kryptonite is the next thing on my list. Those things look bullet proof
They may well be, but unfortunately they're not cordless angle grinder proof. That said, I have a NY lock too and have gone with a non-flashy decorating scheme. You only have to be more secure than the guy next to you.
Old 03-22-10, 03:05 PM
cervelo48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ school I am pretty confident. I use a fahgettabout it and my school is small and in the suburbs. I lock it in the middle of my small campus. I don't think anyone would use power tools in the location that it is usually locked.

Everywhere else I use a fahgettabout chain. Still usually in the suburbs where they aren't many cyclists. I don't think anyone is going to be driving around the areas that I frequent with power tools.
Old 03-22-10, 04:06 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am worried, not so much at work, it's pretty hidden away, but anywhere else I leave it really. I currently use a ulock through rear-tire and frame. I don't have quick release and my saddle is worth nil. But I did think about doubling up by using two ulocks both through the rear wheel/frame. Has to annoy bike thieves at least.
Old 03-22-10, 04:47 PM
Midol_Mohawk