Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wincing every time a car passes...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Wincing every time a car passes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 07:36 PM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Would you care to share the location of the street and the school? I like to take an ariel look at things.
btw - Yes, I'm waiting for the flame. I have thick skin and I was hoping to lighten this thread a little.
Old 10-24-12, 07:41 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
And if you ride like you know what you're doing, they'll act accordingly. Hold your line, make eye contact, maybe smile and wave, but don't let them bully you.
On the two lane road where I ride there is not a LOT of traffic, but what is there is very fast and usually the same bunch of people. I take the lane, wave, smile and hold my ground. I have, lately, been getting the same people that pass me reguarly, smile and wave (not a Queen Parade Wave, maybe just a finger off the steering wheel) as they come the other way. It's a friendly acknowledgement that I DO exist.

In the last month only ONE car has not moved all the way into the oncomming lane......they did straddle the white line giving me pleanty of room. I think they were a stranger------hadn't seen them before.

I wonder what expression would replace the smiles and "finger lifts" had I used a device that scratched their vehicles as they passed rather than several blinkies and orange shirts to make sure that I was seen.

No one wants to hit you.......do YOUR job and make sure that they can see you so that they don't.
Old 10-24-12, 08:01 PM
gregjones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You don't have to ride in the gutter but you can't ride 2' out into the lane either.
I am new to this but, I use 2' in the lane as a bare minimum ride in the lane. I use blinkies, orange shirts or vests and assert my position when crossing highways and even riding on 55 MPH four lane highways. I've never had a car fail to change lanes or honk.

When I come back from the grocery store I have to cross a busy National Highway with a median. There can be a half dozen vehicles waiting to cross. I might be one of them.......about two feet off the CENTER yellow line. I'm not going to be forced off the road by someone trying to squeeze by. I have NEVER had the first problem and have had people nod to let me know it's my turn to go.....when it IS my turn.
Old 10-24-12, 08:02 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chgurlsng
Originally Posted by steve0257
Not knowing how experienced you are I would recommend working on increasing your comfort level. Most riders have a comfort level for traffic and don't like going beyond that traffic volume/speed. Start with roads where you are comfortable and keep looking for roads that are a little faster or have more traffic until you get to where you start feeling uncomfortable about the traffic. Stay at that level for a couple of weeks and you should start getting comfortable with it and then move to a busier/faster road and repeat.
I think this is the best advice! Thank you.

There is another girl that takes this same route around the same time that I'd have to leave to get to my MWF class. She uses the sidewalk.

I commuted via this route for two weeks and this week I've been driving. The road is very busy so taking the lane as far as some have suggested would be quite rude. When I'm driving on it, I can see just how hard it is to pass a bike. There's almost always another car coming in the opposite direction. It's a very busy street. I think I will drive the other route tomorrow and see how it looks as far as the crime. I might just end up riding it although it will add an extra mile.

Oh and for clarification, the two-lane road in the OP doesn't have a curb or even a line on the right, and no one parks on this road (they would be in the grass if they even tried).
Taking the lane is not rude. What is rude is people trying to make cyclists think that taking the lane canon anyway "rude."

Sadly, what has happened in this country is a shift in thinking. And that shift is that the roads are made for cars not people. The roads are in fact made for people NOT cars.

But, thanks to the influence of the auto industry, people erroneously have come to think that roads are made for cars.

The following link explains it well:

https://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2012/06/10/lets-choose-possibility/

Riding with a partner isn't a bad idea. See how many others are going in the same directions and form a group.
Old 10-24-12, 08:05 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
How are bright lights "over the top?" On my bike I have five headlights. Four mounted to the bike, and one on my helmet. The ones on my bike are set to blink.

I also have four taillights three that are mounted on my bike and the fourth is mounted on my helmet.

Six out of the seven are on whenever I'm out riding. The one on my helmet is used at night.

I also wear an orange, and reflective safety vest when I ride.
I'll be kind because your sig is way cool... your lights... over the top, my friend. Over the top. You asked. Whatever works for you though, just so you don't think four headlights are necessary. One is plenty enough and two are better, under some circumstances (rain) but for being seen?... safety?... one of each. Just saying.

H
If you think that my setup is "over the top" check out K'tesh's bike.

Also I have just one word for you:

redundancy
Old 10-24-12, 08:09 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would definitely be holding up traffic. This road is in an older part of town and I have a feeling it's not 12' wide just comparing it to another road that just got updated and is a few feet wider. There are plenty of cross streets that I can stop at once in a while (or driveways that I can slow down and pull over onto). I'll have to check the bike laws. Thanks!

Didn't realize the can of worms I was opening with this thread... Now I'll have to post in Advocacy and Safety if I have any similar questions.
You aren't holding up traffic, you are traffic.
That sadly seems to be a concept that too many people have a hard time grasping.
Old 10-24-12, 08:09 PM
gregjones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't want him back there fuming in his pickup because he can't get past.
Do you have any reason to PROFILE the folks who drive pickups as being those who choose to mow bike riders down********************?
Old 10-24-12, 09:16 PM
Box worthy

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Monona,trek 7000 (wife's )

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
Not knowing how experienced you are I would recommend working on increasing your comfort level. Most riders have a comfort level for traffic and don't like going beyond that traffic volume/speed. Start with roads where you are comfortable and keep looking for roads that are a little faster or have more traffic until you get to where you start feeling uncomfortable about the traffic. Stay at that level for a couple of weeks and you should start getting comfortable with it and then move to a busier/faster road and repeat.
Best advice I have read on this thread so far along with having a mirror and lights. I also like the idea of riding with a partner. I just feel that I am more visible when I ride with my wife.
Old 10-24-12, 09:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Unless it has lights and a siren, a motor vehicle doesn't have any greater right to the road than you do.
Old 10-24-12, 09:33 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unless it has lights and a siren, a motor vehicle doesn't have any greater right to the road than you do.
+ 1,000,000
Old 10-25-12, 03:32 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
How do you deal with the constant fear of being hit by a car? My commute to school is only 3 miles. Part of it has a bike lane and a separate MUP if I so choose to use it. I then have to turn onto a busy two lane road that has no shoulder whatsoever. I have to cross a main four lane intersection and go over railroad tracks which gets a little awkward when I'm behind a school bus. At least 3 times per morning, I can just barely reach out and touch a car trying to pass me.

If I use the sidewalk, it takes me 45 minutes to get to school because I have to keep crossing the street using crosswalks since the sidewalk doesn't go the whole way down on both sides.
If there are any cross-streets or drive ways you're a lot more likely to get hit by a car when you're riding in cross-walks and on side-walks because cars are not looking for vehicle speed traffic there especially traveling in the opposite direction (aka "salmoning" like the fish swimming up stream to spawn).
Old 10-25-12, 05:39 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by squegeeboo
And, as terrible as this sounds, when I first started I used headphones, if you can't hear revving it's engine behind you, you can't get scared. I'd of course never suggest it, because at least in NY, you can only legally have headphones in 1 ear while on a motorway. But it helped me a lot.
I understand your motivation here, but please don't do that. You need to be able to hear the cars, trucks, and even other bikes.

Ride safe,
Charles
Old 10-25-12, 05:42 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
If there are any cross-streets or drive ways you're a lot more likely to get hit by a car when you're riding in cross-walks and on side-walks because cars are not looking for vehicle speed traffic there especially traveling in the opposite direction (aka "salmoning" like the fish swimming up stream to spawn).
This. In over 60,000 miles of bicycling starting in the mid 1970s through all kinds of terrain - 3 crashes, two that sent me to the emergency room. All three on a sidewalk. You think I'd learn my lesson lol . . .
Old 10-25-12, 05:43 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi,

You are absolutely right. And you should keep this in mind.

You should also keep in mind that if there is a collision, regardless of who's fault it is, you lose.

This second comment is not at all meant to suggest that we shouldn't do thinks like take the lane when appropriate (we should because it is safer). But it is something that we should (and almost all of us do) keep in mind.

Cheers,
Charles

p.s. I'm not suggesting that you, Caloso, doesn't understand this. But it is worth stating for those who might not.
Old 10-25-12, 05:48 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
That sadly seems to be a concept that too many people have a hard time grasping.
In high traffic areas, don't ride two (or more) abreast (unless the lane is too narrow to allow safe passage). And ride as far to the right as you safely can. But sometimes, this means that you need to take the whole lane and make people behind you wait until you can move safely to the right.

I try and be easy to predict and ride in such a way that I don't slow down cars more than necessary. And where I am, most cars have no problems with this.

Cheers,
Charles

Last edited by cplager; 10-25-12 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added *unless*
Old 10-25-12, 05:50 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
How do you deal with the constant fear of being hit by a car? My commute to school is only 3 miles. Part of it has a bike lane and a separate MUP if I so choose to use it. I then have to turn onto a busy two lane road that has no shoulder whatsoever. I have to cross a main four lane intersection and go over railroad tracks which gets a little awkward when I'm behind a school bus. At least 3 times per morning, I can just barely reach out and touch a car trying to pass me.

If I use the sidewalk, it takes me 45 minutes to get to school because I have to keep crossing the street using crosswalks since the sidewalk doesn't go the whole way down on both sides. The right side of the road has an OK sidewalk that gets me almost the whole way to school, but the left side is abysmal (pot holes, no ramps, etc). At the main four lane intersection, I have to switch over to the left side of the road because that is where the only crosswalk is, and then the sidewalk ends shortly after the intersection so I have to switch back over to the right side without the use of a crosswalk and the cars are not very friendly when trying to cross here because they're thinking about the green light at the major intersection coming up.

I don't like using the sidewalk because it takes forever, but I also don't like using the road because I don't feel safe. I sat down and played with Google Maps, but the only alternative route that I could figure out still crosses over that busy four lane road, and it would take me into a very shady part of town. I wouldn't be stuck on the busy two lane road for two miles, though.
In addition to what everybody else has said, I recommend getting good mirrors (either helmet or on the bike itself). Knowing what is coming up behind you makes a world of difference.

Cheers,
Charles

p.s. In many places, it is illegal for adults to ride on the sidewalk. If you do, please be extra-careful of the pedestrians there.
Old 10-25-12, 09:40 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Would you care to share the location of the street and the school? I like to take an ariel look at things.
Here you go:
Old 10-25-12, 10:14 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Take the Lane

Use a Mirror

Use a BRIGHT tail light.
that
Old 10-25-12, 10:29 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i will take the lane in any instance where i do not feel that a car can share the lane with me and safely give me 3 feet of passing room. it also helps especially on low visibility one lane roads to let cars know behind you when it is ok to pass. a lot of drivers appreciate that.

i had an incident last week while biking in a downtown area of my neighborhood. i was biking on a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way) and was in the middle of the right lane which was not very wide. a van behind me honked impatiently, turned into the left hand lane and passed me only to stop immediately after at a red light. i pulled up next to the van and politely and calmly asked if there was any issue.

"YEAH, YOU WERE RIDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE"

"Well yes, but you see there are two lanes here. You could always move into the other lane to pass."

"BUT WHAT IF THERE WAS ANOTHER CAR RIGHT THERE?"

"Well then you could, you know, wait?"

"OH YEAH LIKE I CAN WAIT"

the fact that waiting for maybe 5 seconds was out of the question for this guy is both ridiculous and depressing. i don't recommend confronting drivers though. very rarely can you change their opinions of you.
Old 10-25-12, 10:39 AM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't imagine riding without a mirror. A lot of friends ride without one, but I like seeing what is happening behind.
Old 10-25-12, 10:53 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Take the lane when you have to, but avoid delaying traffic as much as humanly possible. Do that by taking the shoulder when it's wide enough for cars to safely pass you and taking the MUP as much as possible. The sidewalk is out, unless you are willing to walk, nor ride, the bike along it.

Absolutely be high-viz. Multiple taillights (you can buy cheap lots on eBay and build a "large array" of blinkies) dorky neon yellow jacket, the works. None of this is expensive if you shop around.
Old 10-25-12, 11:24 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
In high traffic areas, don't ride two (or more) abreast. And ride as far to the right as you safely can. But sometimes, this means that you need to take the whole lane and make people behind you wait until you can move safely to the right.

I try and be easy to predict and ride in such a way that I don't slow down cars more than necessary. And where I am, most cars have no problems with this.

Cheers,
Charles
Charles,

I hope that I am not reading you correctly, because, if I am it sounds as if you are saying that we cyclists do NOT have the same rights to the road. And that is not true. As the operator of a vehicle, we do in fact have the same rights to be on the road. As, has been said we ARE a part of traffic.

Also, as has been stated before riding two abreast, particularly on roads with substandard width lanes does not negatively effect motorists. If anything, doing do makes it easier for them to pass us.

As we are actually taking up less not more space on the road. Or think about it like this. You're driving down the road in your car. You come upon 50 cyclists, if they're riding single file it's going to take longer to pass them vs. if they were riding two abreast.

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 10-25-12 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-25-12, 11:31 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aquateen
i will take the lane in any instance where i do not feel that a car can share the lane with me and safely give me 3 feet of passing room. it also helps especially on low visibility one lane roads to let cars know behind you when it is ok to pass. a lot of drivers appreciate that.

i had an incident last week while biking in a downtown area of my neighborhood. i was biking on a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way) and was in the middle of the right lane which was not very wide. a van behind me honked impatiently, turned into the left hand lane and passed me only to stop immediately after at a red light. i pulled up next to the van and politely and calmly asked if there was any issue.

"YEAH, YOU WERE RIDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE"

"Well yes, but you see there are two lanes here. You could always move into the other lane to pass."

"BUT WHAT IF THERE WAS ANOTHER CAR RIGHT THERE?"

"Well then you could, you know, wait?"

"OH YEAH LIKE I CAN WAIT"

the fact that waiting for maybe 5 seconds was out of the question for this guy is both ridiculous and depressing. i don't recommend confronting drivers though. very rarely can you change their opinions of you.
I agree, I too have had motorists honk at me on roads with multiple lanes for each direction of travel. The funnest are the ones who are either already in the other lane, or are traveling on the opposite direction.
Old 10-25-12, 11:38 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Take the lane when you have to, but avoid delaying traffic as much as humanly possible. Do that by taking the shoulder when it's wide enough for cars to safely pass you and taking the MUP as much as possible. The sidewalk is out, unless you are willing to walk, nor ride, the bike along it.

Absolutely be high-viz. Multiple taillights (you can buy cheap lots on eBay and build a "large array" of blinkies) dorky neon yellow jacket, the works. None of this is expensive if you shop around.
Again, we are apart of traffic, we do not have to ride as if we do not have the right to be on the road, as you are suggesting. By advising people to ride in the shoulder.

I do agree with your advice on being as visible as possible.
Old 10-25-12, 11:46 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
In high traffic areas, don't ride two (or more) abreast. And ride as far to the right as you safely can. But sometimes, this means that you need to take the whole lane and make people behind you wait until you can move safely to the right.

Cheers,
Charles
Why not? Riding two abreast is legal in a lot of states, usually allowed when lanes are substandard width, and one bike would be commanding the lane anyway. It should have nothing to do with "high traffic", whatever that is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.