Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting & Eating

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting & Eating

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 11:55 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Commuting & Eating

Two things that I enjoy

I have a 20-24 mile roundtrip commute that I do 2-3 times a week and I still for some reason can't eat enough to not bonk on my way home. I have been a roadie for a few years now and 20-30 mile rides on their own are not a problem for but for some reason when I add a workday in the middle I can never eat enough to stay full. I try to eat as much protein as I can during the day, mostly nuts/peanut butter. What's in your lunchbox on commute days?
Old 12-04-12, 12:03 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i ride 30 miles a day 5 days a week.

i have the metabolism of a geriatric tortoise.

i can do a century without eating and not bonk.

when the global food shortage arrives, i'll be the last one standing to bury the rest of you.
Old 12-04-12, 12:04 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bean, cheese, and rice burrito.
Old 12-04-12, 12:13 PM
Forrest74

Bikes: Vaya 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need carbs for energy, not protein. (If I am reading your post correctly)
Old 12-04-12, 12:37 PM
GuyForget

Bikes: 1985 Peugeot PH501

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Forrest74
Yeah, I think eating that protein during the day will be helpful, but I wouldn't use that as bonk-prevention. I use energy gels and/or those honey waffle things for longer rides and they really seem to help. I just snack on them now and then during my ride.
Old 12-04-12, 12:43 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Lunch: cheeseburger & fries, or a couple of pizza slices. Later in the afternoon pop-tarts or trail mix, but not lately, it's the over-eating season you know. I probably load up extra carbs, too many, in the evening.

This may sound picky, but you can't really bonk in 10-12 miles. Feeling low on energy may still be influenced by diet but I'd be broadening my investigation to include conditioning, environmental factors, or other possibilities.
Old 12-04-12, 12:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Lunch: cheeseburger & fries, or a couple of pizza slices. Later in the afternoon pop-tarts or trail mix, but not lately, it's the over-eating season you know. I probably load up extra carbs, too many, in the evening.

This may sound picky, but you can't really bonk in 10-12 miles. Feeling low on energy may still be influenced by diet but I'd be broadening my investigation to include conditioning, environmental factors, or other possibilities.
I agree. Maybe if you were fasting all day and then doing anaerobic intervals on the way home, maybe. But a normal lunch is going to replenish your glycogen and a normal (even hard but steady) commute home isn't going to deplete it. Feeling hungry and sluggish isn't bonking.
Old 12-04-12, 12:58 PM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
part of the problem is that i'm a teacher and eat lunch pretty early (10:30 or 11) and don't bike home until around 3pm. i try to keep a snack for close to then but sometimes i can't wait that long
Old 12-04-12, 12:58 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that consuming protein is best done during the evening meal when the body is best able to relax and restore itself during sleep. Is this true?
Old 12-04-12, 01:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
I think I've read somewhere that consuming protein is best done during the evening meal when the body is best able to relax and restore itself during sleep. Is this true?
There might be a grain of truth to it, but it doesn't matter.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-04-12, 01:04 PM
aquateen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Feeling hungry and sluggish isn't bonking.
true, it was an exaggeration
Old 12-04-12, 01:05 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Forrest74

Not exactly because the body can convert protein into glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Lentils, wheat, avocados, smoothies and fruit leathers

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...fruit_leather/

Last edited by erig007; 12-04-12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 01:29 PM
andrew.ferrell

Bikes: 2006 Windsor 29er, 1983 Lotus Exelle, 1970 Styr Clubman, 1997 Trek 970, 1988 Panasonic MC3500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
I think of it as slopes running in the opposite direction. The morning should consist of the most amount of carbs so that in can be burned off during the day and should taper down by the evening. Your evening meal should have the most amount of protein with lowest amount of carbs (think green veggies or a salad). The idea behing this is that if you don't burn of your carbs quick enough, they will be stored as fat.

https://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
The link above can be used to calculate the types of calories you should be eating each day. It's something fun to play with. I use it when I'm trying to dial in my diet and exercise. It's the holiday season so I'm happily fattening up! It is called an Ittermittent Fasting Calculator but by no means do you have to any wierd diet stuff for the principals of the calculator to work. If you ride that much, you get to do some serious eating!
Also, consider a good multivitamin with iron. I have found that when I don't get enough iron i get really sluggish. Fish oil, CoQ10 is all good stuff too!
Old 12-04-12, 02:15 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by aquateen
true, it was an exaggeration
Reason it could make a difference, bonking is running out of glycogen, impeding the conversion of lipid fat to energy. In that case some fast carbohydrates from sugar or something but if not, something else is dragging you down.
Old 12-04-12, 02:29 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
My commute is roughly twice what yours is. I eat a banana at about the halfway point, coming and going. If I'm hungry before I leave, I eat a yogurt first and then still have a banana at about halfway.
Old 12-04-12, 03:43 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22 miles round trip. If I have a too-light lunch, I'll try to eat an apple about a half hour before the ride home. I usually have one or a banana sitting around on my desk to stave off the Afternoon Peanut M&M monster.
Old 12-04-12, 05:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I recommend a large piece of Pizza with meat,veggies,cheese almost everything you can throw on it. Homemade smoothies/protein shakes made with real milk ( not soy garbage) are also good, throw some almond /peanut butter, bannanas ,oatmeal, fruits into the shake.
Old 12-04-12, 06:17 PM
Alupang

Bikes: 2011 Giant Advanced SL ISP, 2008 Advanced ISP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to get grain out of my diet here. I usually carry dried fruits like prunes and cranberries in my hip pouch. At work I have lots of walnuts and almonds to munch on.
Old 12-04-12, 09:36 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12mi round trip for work.

glass of water when i get up. get to work and it's usually sardines in olive oil, multigrain bread and an apple. a banana and some almonds during the day, then a beer when i get home.
Old 12-04-12, 10:50 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All a man needs to fuel himself for long commutes are alternating cycles of bean, cheese, rice burritos, and a ton of pizza and fruit smoothies.
Old 12-05-12, 09:54 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have the same problem with approximately the same distance commute. now I'll have a snack a half hour before I leave, and that pretty much takes care of it.
Old 12-05-12, 10:08 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe slow down your ride home... 20-something miles isn't enough to bonk, but you can get trashed if you always try to ride it hard...
Old 12-05-12, 10:24 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 26 mile round trip commute 2 to 3 times a week. Usually i have a bowl of Wheaties with skim milk for breakfast. A "cup-o-noodles" for lunch and a piece of fruit or a candy bar for a snack before the ride home. Haven't bonked yet!
Old 12-06-12, 05:07 AM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you eating breakfast? If not, then you're starting on empty and always trying to catch up.

My commute is 29 miles RT. I always eat something at home and like to eat again after arriving at work. I believe this helps me through the day and the ride home.

In the morning, hot cereal and/or fruit. In the first 30 minutes at work; yogurt or fruit, even peanut butter and jam. I prefer to eat real food on commute days, no bars or gels.
Old 12-06-12, 05:24 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
you really need to healthy.

you also need to eat a large volume of kcals ... i would say that 30 miles daily would equate to roughly 1.75-2 hrs of cycling per day ... and roughly 1100 kcals. my gf and I commute together about 1.25h/day each (so we need to come up with an extra 1200kcal/day for both of us)

personally, i would avoid anything processed like frozen pizzas, prepacked salad dressings, pop-tarts, etc ...

i find it useful to cook two large meals on the weekend ... one on Sat and one on Sun and freeze extra food away for during the week.

this weekend we made pumpkin curry with basmati rice (roughly 5L/1.5gal of curry) and about 5L/1.5gal of rice on Sat and a really nice rice/chicken/peach/peanut dish (again about 5L) on Sunday. this way we can eat really well on Sat/Sun and have roughly 8-12 high-density meals left for the week. those 8-12 meals are great for work (we work at the same place and can eat together.)

personally, i think getting enough kcals is really expensive, so i avoid powerbars/prepackaged stuff because it's too expensive and usually buy fresh produce because it's relatively inexpensive by comparison.

for example, a 5kg (11 lbs) bag of really nice Pakistani rice can be had for €15-20. 5kg of rice provides 15000 kcal and the freshly imported stuff tastes great compared to the supermarket crap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.