Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why am I going 2mph faster?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why am I going 2mph faster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 10:11 AM
BigJeff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inpd
Thanks for the reference. That helps a lot. The mph measurement is over multiple 1.5 - 2.0 hour rides so we are taking about riding 3-4 miles more so its not catching a traffic light or two!
oh?

Traffic lights take 4-8 minutes to cycle, so hitting 2-3 fewer lights would increase your pace by 8-16 minutes.

so, it seems plausible that your speed increase was just two or three more green lights.
Old 05-17-15, 10:28 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i would need to duplicate that test 10-20 more times to even determine whether or not there is any difference at all. maybe more.
Old 05-17-15, 11:44 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
All of the above. When I used to do long fast rides on my carbon single, I ran 23mm tires at 140#. Don't let anyone BS you. On smooth surfaces, high pressure is faster if you have a good frame. There's no question. 120# on 26mm tires would be be the same thing. On chip seal, depends on the size of the chips. Big chips, lower is faster. However, on a POS aluminum frame like my CAAD9, it's impossible to run hard tires.

And it's totally possible to save 20 watts by reducing friction, reducing crr, and reducing aero drag, all at the same time. The faster you're going and the flatter and smoother the course, the greater the reduction. TT bikes really are faster on the flat.
Old 05-17-15, 02:57 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
All of the above. When I used to do long fast rides on my carbon single, I ran 23mm tires at 140#. Don't let anyone BS you. On smooth surfaces, high pressure is faster if you have a good frame..
I don't have a CF frame but would think the higher pressure tires can only improve speed but at the cost of comfort on well sealed roads.
@BigJeff, forgot to mention, I'm in the country areas, no 8 minute red lights. Often I just cycle,through the red lights or at worst slow down. But thanks anyway.
Old 05-17-15, 03:09 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Taking a few days off probably helped and tires can make a big difference.
Old 05-17-15, 03:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't have a CF frame but would think the higher pressure tires can only improve speed but at the cost of comfort on well sealed roads.
@BigJeff, forgot to mention, I'm in the country areas, no 8 minute red lights. Often I just cycle,through the red lights or at worst slow down. But thanks anyway.
Carbon can make a huge difference, but it depends on the frame. Some are quieter than others. What's comfort? Only made a difference to me if it slowed me down. Really sucked descending gravel Forest Service roads, and that's a fact.
Old 05-17-15, 05:05 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,468 Posts
By any chance are you riding in the drops more now with the lower stem?
Old 05-17-15, 06:40 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@RoadTire I've been meaning to ask, what is the 41?
"The Roadbike Forum."

This place is like a gaggle of prepubescent girls, and a whole lot of ... fun. Most of the comments you received in this thread are entirely appropriate, as outlined in the Rules.
Velominati ? The Rules

I think Rule 10 applies to your situation.

Once I got in trouble for misinterpreting Rule 59 - Hold your line. I thought they meant the 6 foot wide black tarmac line between the pretty white lines on each side...
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 05-17-15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 08:20 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
Wow. Based on my w/kg, I'm less than untrained.
Yes, me too.
Old 05-17-15, 10:42 PM
BigJeff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
post your route.
Old 05-18-15, 09:17 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hate to spoil the fun...but did you input the new tire's size into your speedo?

If so...

I had the same thing happen to me last year, too- I just got on the bike one day, and was 1-2MPH faster for a few weeks...

Then returned to my normal tortoise pace.

Recently, for some reason, I've actually LOST .5-1.0 MPH -and ironically, I now have the best bike I've ever owned in my life. (In my case, I think the decrease in speed is due to my body being used to riding now, and thus my fitness stopped building and actually started regressing a little, since I haven't been increasing my distance or speed lately. In your case, it's probably the opposite: Your fitness is improving, and your reaping the benefits!!!!)
Old 05-18-15, 09:34 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
Wow. Based on my w/kg, I'm less than untrained.
Yeah, and at my fittest I bordered on Cat2. Unfortunately my lack of tactics made sure I never got even close....

Old 05-18-15, 10:14 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Hate to spoil the fun...but did you input the new tire's size into your speedo?
Very good point. I calibrate my speedo by comparing it with the GPS on my rides. After a few rides, tweaking just a little, there is enough average speed data the sports can be tossed out and the rest tend to stay withing about 2%. I have no idea why I even think it's important, but that's just me.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 05-19-15, 09:27 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Very good point. I calibrate my speedo by comparing it with the GPS on my rides. After a few rides, tweaking just a little, there is enough average speed data the sports can be tossed out and the rest tend to stay withing about 2%. I have no idea why I even think it's important, but that's just me.
So I thought I addressed this earlier. I use MapMyRide so it uses GPS coordinates to measure speed and distance. Am I missing something with MapMyRide.
Old 05-19-15, 09:47 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So I thought I addressed this earlier. I use MapMyRide so it uses GPS coordinates to measure speed and distance. Am I missing something with MapMyRide.
GPS is often not very accurate when it comes to speed....and add in the possible inaccuracies of GPS in conjunction with a website, and..well..... (Someone on here in another thread recently posted one of these services- It may haver even been MapMyRide- not sure- hich listed a certain hill as being 5-something-percent grade! )

Do you have a simple bike computer? Just a cheapo Sigma or Cateye'll do it...where you input the actual diameter of your tire to the millimeter, and it counts the revolutions of a magnet on your spoke. They're more accurate than anything.
Old 05-19-15, 04:39 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Do you have a simple bike computer? Just a cheapo Sigma or Cateye'll do it...where you input the actual diameter of your tire to the millimeter, and it counts the revolutions of a magnet on your spoke. They're more accurate than anything.
Addendum: I missed the part using the GPS for speed - Stucky is right, that's pretty poor. Accurate distance on the bike computer and time = accurate speed.

If I could just measure the dia accurately... tried rollout, but was way off. Maybe using a cloth tapemeasure and get the circcumference to calc accurate dia?

Agreed: the GPS has a lot of sports in the data, so takes quite a few runs on the same route to get some reliable coorolation. But hey, it was fun to see if I could do it. I didn't have anywhere I could ride back and forth using mileposts to get a good average.

Last edited by RoadTire; 05-19-15 at 04:43 PM.