Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Screen glare on smartphone - anti glare screens?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 03-19-17, 08:53 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to find a good anti glare screen for my phone so I can use maps and gps while riding. I did a google search and haven't come up with user experiences or reviews about effectiveness or problems. Typically I would just use a good screen protector, but still lots of glare. Just replaced a dead Samsung S4 (RIP) with an iPhone.

Am willing to entertain other options than a glare screen but haven't thought of anything yet. I want my cake and eat it too so would like the screen protector to not degrade the sharpness of my screen if possible while giving me glare protection.

Not sure about the bike mount either yet, vacillating on top tube bag with window, Quad Lock, or a more generic phone holder.

Any suggestions how I can visually use maps while riding without stopping to check my phone? Or do I just live with the glare and shade it with my hand when needed?
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-20-17, 09:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I don't have a solution to the glare problem. I suspect a visor will be better than a screen, though making or finding one could be complicated.

I can't speak highly enough of the Quad Lock mount, the one that mounts to the bar with a bolt, not a rubber band or zip ties. I avoided getting it (and the case) because of price, but if I had bought it in the first place, I would have saved a lot of money. I recommend it very strongly.

I've had my phone shut down because of excess heat from direct sunlight, and this is another reason to have a visor. In some cases, a visor ought to shadow the phone and keep it visible to you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-20-17, 10:17 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've had my phone shut down because of excess heat from direct sunlight, and this is another reason to have a visor. In some cases, a visor ought to shadow the phone and keep it visible to you.
I've had that problem when using one on the dash of a semi, shading it with a hat solves the problem. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a simple solution.
Old 03-20-17, 10:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Are you wearing polarized sunglasses?
Old 03-20-17, 10:52 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
if/when glare is a problem, rotate the phone a bit and it will disappear (my phone is mounted on a quadlock, loosely tied to the handlebars with rubber o-rings. Makes it easy to change orientation when needed).
Old 03-20-17, 11:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Are you wearing polarized sunglasses?
That's what I was thinking.

-Tim-
Old 03-20-17, 04:04 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well dang - got me on the polarized sunglasses I just went outside with them to check. Their not helping my cause except when going into the sun with a lot of road glare. I wear prescription sunglasses so not cheap. Also satellite mode has too dark background so must use white map view instead.

Maybe just use a bluetooth earpiece (because I can't hear the phone speaker very well in the top tube bag) and let the phone tell me turn-by-turn when I am off my regular route?
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-20-17, 05:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Stand in the shade where there is less glare. Or hold your hand over the screen, make shade..
Old 03-21-17, 09:43 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that I will probably have to settle for shading my phone when I want to see it, and or using a compass and cue cards for predefined routes. I should be more thankful for having all the bright sunlight.
Old 03-22-17, 09:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Living in Seattle, I can agree that you should be thankful for sunlight.