Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Rechargeable, and durable electronic insect repellant?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 09:00 AM
AlexanderLS
Ex Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody happen to know of/use a rechargeable, and durable electronic insect repellent?
One that uses AA/AAA batteries would also work as I have a charger for those.

While the chances of getting west nile fever are pretty low, it would really suck to be sick for that long.

EDIT: Please let me know if electronic insect repellents simply do not work. I've never tried one.

Last edited by AlexanderLS; 06-04-18 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 09:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Permethrin.
Old 06-04-18, 10:40 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
If they worked, the big guys would be marketing them. It's not that they can't. It's that they decided not to and the only reason is they can't demonstrate to their satisfaction that they work.
Old 06-04-18, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
with an onshore wind blowing through town, I find a stiff breeze works, well ...

maybe have a fan to keep the air moving?

Or Ride Faster

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-05-18 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 02:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If you are trying to avoid repellent for some reason, this is an option too.
https://www.rei.com/c/mosquito-net-clothing

I have used this sort of thing over shorts and short sleeves in a campsite, where the netting is touching your skin you can get bit but it really works pretty good.

But a headnet gets in the way when you try to sample the food you are cooking.
Old 06-04-18, 05:07 PM
AlexanderLS
Ex Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions.

It's unfortunate electronic repellents don't currently work. Eventually they will figure out a way to do it. I mainly wanted one to avoid putting any chemicals on my skin. I have a few canisters of sport deet bug spray, I'll just use that. It will only be when I'm hiking on Sundays so I doubt once a week usage will cause any harm. I'll probably get something natural when my current supply of bug spray runs out.
Old 06-04-18, 05:41 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I as well dislike repellants.
If I use one it is mostly on my clothing and hat.
Of course you do have some on some of your skin but
you don't use as much.
Old 06-05-18, 07:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
What is the operating principle of this gadget?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-05-18, 09:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Thank you all for the suggestions.

It's unfortunate electronic repellents don't currently work. Eventually they will figure out a way to do it. I mainly wanted one to avoid putting any chemicals on my skin. I have a few canisters of sport deet bug spray, I'll just use that. It will only be when I'm hiking on Sundays so I doubt once a week usage will cause any harm. I'll probably get something natural when my current supply of bug spray runs out.
Permethrin comes from geraniums, you might have some in your garden. It's harmless to mammals except cats, but toxic to mosquitoes. You wash it into your clothes, and then they won't land on you, except the stupid one who goes in for a snack and dies.
Old 06-10-18, 11:17 PM
debade

As a former product manager of OFF! insect repellent, my recommendation is to use the least amount of Deet as possible and reapply as required. 15% deet will likely keep you pest free for 2+ hours. We all have different run times. But, make sure you apply it properly. Leave a spot open, the bugs will find it. Having said that, do not over spray. But rubbing it around, like you would a lotion and washing your hands is the best approach.

As some have said, Permetrhin is a good product, applied to clothes. . But, because it comes from plants does not mean it is not toxic. But, if you have bare skin, you will need a repellent.
Old 06-11-18, 07:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by debade
As a former product manager of OFF! insect repellent, my recommendation is to use the least amount of Deet as possible and reapply as required. 15% deet will likely keep you pest free for 2+ hours. We all have different run times. But, make sure you apply it properly. Leave a spot open, the bugs will find it. Having said that, do not over spray. But rubbing it around, like you would a lotion and washing your hands is the best approach.

As some have said, Permetrhin is a good product, applied to clothes. . But, because it comes from plants does not mean it is not toxic. But, if you have bare skin, you will need a repellent.
Thanks for weighing in, debade. Your logic is good, but are you saying Permethrin is toxic? You don't seem to be saying it is or isn't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-11-18, 07:58 AM
debade

Originally Posted by noglider
Thanks for weighing in, debade. Your logic is good, but are you saying Permethrin is toxic? You don't seem to be saying it is or isn't.
Everything is toxic, including water. You can consume too much water and harm yourself. Everything has an Lethal Dose measurement. Perhaps you can look up the LD50 for each of these products or anything that you are consuming through your mouth, skin, or nose,.

I am not sure that there would not be debate about the comments in this article by those that have deep knowledge but I think it is basically correct for our purposes. https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/su...nd-peremethrin

In my opinion, your goal should be to use as little repellent (and frankly any chemical) as you need. In the case of repellent applying to clothes lessens skin contact. Applying lower concentrations to your skin, lessens the amount that will be absorbed in your body.
Old 06-11-18, 08:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

That's an artful dodge, because you said more with less. Thank you again.

The tick problem is really bad this year in New York State. I'm not in the habit of using repellent, and I think maybe I should this year. I like the idea of applying to clothes because it might be easier to talk my wife into it. She's more afraid of chemicals than I am.

Also, we used permethrin heavily a couple of years ago when we got scabies, and she didn't complain about toxicity then. But we had a really serious problem to solve at the time. Scabies are terrible. Permethrin sounds reasonably safe.

Old 06-11-18, 03:54 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
What is the operating principle of this gadget?
I think most of them put out an ultrasonic audio sound which supposedly annoys the insects enough that they stay away from you, kind of like getting rid of annoying people by playing Yoko Ono albums. However, it's not been found that annoying sounds bother bugs like they bother humans, at least they seem to have no effect.
Old 06-12-18, 01:12 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
It sometimes drives me crazy when in certain areas flying insects are buzzing around my face and at times it seems as if they're trying to crawl into my ears

I've used skin so soft from Avon. Very inexpensive and the link is for the one that uses synthesized plant oil.

https://www.avon.com/product/skin-so...30-lotion-7894

Copied from the REI website:

IR3535

Background: Developed in Germany by Merck in early 1980s; registered in U.S. in 1999. Chemical name: 3-[N-Butyl-N-acetyl]-aminopropionic acid, ethyl ester. Derived from the amino acid alanine.

Effectiveness: Potential duration of effectiveness:Up to 8 hours. Refer to product label.

Safety: From the EPA: “IR3535 has been used as an insect repellent in Europe for 20 years with no substantial adverse effects. Toxicity tests show that IR3535 is not harmful when ingested, inhaled, or used on skin.” The American Academy of Pediatrics has made no recommendation on the use of IR3535.

Old 06-12-18, 03:15 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I like the idea of applying to clothes because it might be easier to talk my wife into it. She's more afraid of chemicals than I am.
Yes, I've always tried to apply the repellents to my clothing, especially cap brims and shirt/pants cuffs. Have found DEET to be the most effective so that's what I've continued to use but try to avoid direct contact of it with my skin. In bad areas I've worn a netting face mask. My experience with Avon Skin So Soft was that the mosquitoes seemed to love it - I wasn't as thrilled.
Old 06-12-18, 04:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
DEET or Picaridin for maximum protection.

PMD from lemon eucalyptus (Corymbia citriodora) extract is reportedly very effective. Check concentrations.

Some folks say Picaridin and PMD are more pleasant to use than DEET.

Permethrin is primarily useful for applying to clothing and other materials. It's applied directly to the skin only to kill scabies, chiggers, etc.

The original Avon Skin So Soft had an unwarranted reputation for being an effective insect repellent that was exaggerated over time. Local outdoor theaters and entertainment venues provide it because it's safe, harmless and pretty much useless. But people believe it works and if they don't get bitten the illusion is reinforced. In fact they may have been bitten by mosquitoes but if they take effective antihistamines for allergies they'd probably never notice any reaction anyway. That doesn't mean they didn't get bitten or that the mosquito didn't transmit disease.

Avon now makes a version of Skin So Soft with Picaridin, which is reportedly moderately effective when applied carefully and renewed every hour or so.

I usually carry small bottles or Mylar packets of combined sun screen and effective insect repellent. Makes it easier to get it all done at once. Seems to be effective too. I usually choose the sunscreens that contain DEET but this year I may try the Picaridin or eucalyptus derivative just out of curiosity.
Old 06-14-18, 11:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

We are spending the weekend in upstate New York where the tick problem is said to be bad. Friends from Florida are visiting us, and they're scared, so they'll be bringing tick repellent.

Sometimes, my wife and I inspect each other naked to be safe. I'll be telling my guests to do that with each other.

Old 06-14-18, 11:59 AM
angerdan

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For home defense use this:
https://biogents-webshop-usa.myshopify.com/
Mosquito Traps To Protect Your Home Or Business | Mosquito Magnet®
Old 06-14-18, 01:42 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
It sometimes drives me crazy when in certain areas flying insects are buzzing around my face and at times it seems as if they're trying to crawl into my ears

I've used skin so soft from Avon. Very inexpensive and the link is for the one that uses synthesized plant oil.

https://www.avon.com/product/skin-so...30-lotion-7894

This is almost at comic joke status here in Minnesota where we refer to the mosquito as the state bird. I swear this just help tell them where you are.
Old 06-14-18, 01:43 PM
JohnJ80

[QUOTE=noglider;20394065]Sometimes, my wife and I inspect each other naked to be safe./QUOTE]

Good one. I'm going to give that a shot tonight and see how far I get with it.
Old 06-14-18, 01:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Good one. I'm going to give that a shot tonight and see how far I get with it.
She asked me to check her out!

Old 06-14-18, 04:34 PM
JohnJ80

She asked me to check her out!
my wife is a former 7th grade teacher. About once every 10 years she falls for one of my lines like that. But I’m thinking “Hmmm. We live in a known tick hot spot and she really hates ‘em. Worth a shot.”

This definitely has potential.
Old 06-15-18, 12:35 PM
angerdan

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
thermacell.com offers Portable Repellers