Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Multi Tool

Old 09-11-19, 03:08 AM
itsollyg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Multi Tool

I am thinking of creating a new bike multi-tool. I would like to hear some of your ideas!
Old 09-11-19, 05:49 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I like the Eklind folding hex key set, which is not sold as a bike tool, but is rugged, foolproof, and cheap. Something like that, with the sizes of tools (torx, etc) to fit parts on modern bikes. In fact, being able to select which tools I want for my particular bikes might be an interesting way to offer a tool.
Old 09-11-19, 07:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Make it entirely of plant fibers and single-use only. Once used, have it be an edible energy snack that comes in multiple flavors. Put a blinkie light on it made from phosphorescent plankton.
Old 09-11-19, 07:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
It needs to not bend, not be bulky, and to have the tools I need.
Pretty straight forward.

I would be interested to hear why you want to design a new multi-tool. How did you land on a multi-tool as what you want to redesign? The only reason why someone would want to design a new version of something that has literally hundreds of versions for sale, is if they think their version is better- so what would make yours better? Nicer case? Lighter? Less expensive?

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19
https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/f15

Tough to improve on these two options. So I start here and go from there with your improvements?
All seriousness- an aluminum case would be nice, like what the f15 uses. it would help reduce rusting on the tool, keep it from opening up when stored in a wedge bag, and take up less room when pulling stuff out then packing the wedge bag.
So there you go- make a case that is form fitting to the tool and light. People like colors- so anodize it and soon you too will swim in coins like Scrooge McDuck.
Old 09-11-19, 07:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Design one that can be stowed on a U-lock to save space.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-11-19, 08:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Make it light weight. We don't need plastic covers and metal containers and holsters for it. Just the tools and a piece of aluminum to hold them together.

It would be nice to have a variety of bits which could be removed or added as needed. For example, some bikes need Torx while others do not - add a Torx T25 if needed and remove it from the tool if not needed.

Maybe the tool could be configured to order with just the bits required.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 09-11-19, 10:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
We don't need plastic covers and metal containers and holsters for it.
Yes we do- it was already stated we do. Ugh, read the thread.***
Old 09-11-19, 05:06 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Nesting tools are great. So one half is Allen, the other fancy stuff like chain tools etc. Often the multi tool get in the way of using them with an Allen bolt. I often carry free single Allen keys for the 4mm seat post and brakes.
The Shimano Pro tool is nice and light.

The other "problem" I have is where to put it. Normal is in a bag under seat, and that bag is strapped on and full of other stuff that is a pain to re-pack. I'll often have just an Allen key or two in my jersey.
A tool that snapped onto seat rails or chain stays would be quick and easy to get to. Maybe a Gamin mount snap, you could make it part of the lights - now that would be cool.
Old 09-11-19, 05:30 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
For me the best multi tool available is the Tern tool:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/gear/472/tern-tool

I don't know how you can improve on it. Make it out of
titanium for the weight weenie crowd? Have a chinese
factory copy it and charge less?
Old 09-11-19, 05:32 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Already too many multi-tool versions.
Old 09-12-19, 08:53 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Make it out of mimetic polyalloy that can morph into any tool we want. Just make it so it wouldn't want to stab people. Do not let Cyberdyne make it.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 09-12-19, 10:23 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Doge
Often the multi tool get in the way of using them with an Allen bolt.
I couldn't tighten a rattling bottle cage bolt last night because of this.

Thanks for the reminder as I forgot to do it when I got home.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 09-12-19, 10:30 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Make it light weight. We don't need plastic covers and metal containers and holsters for it. Just the tools and a piece of aluminum to hold them together.

It would be nice to have a variety of bits which could be removed or added as needed. For example, some bikes need Torx while others do not - add a Torx T25 if needed and remove it from the tool if not needed.

Maybe the tool could be configured to order with just the bits required.
I was going to say that pretty much all variations of Multi-Tool already exist, but this is actually a good idea. Not everyone has the same requirements and if you really wanted to be different, being able to tailor the tools to only the ones you need with the option to add/delete as requirements change...is not a bad idea.

I'll take it one step further and since it is configurable, why not enable the ability to take it apart and construct the tool you need with the appropriate length to get at things like Tim's bottle cage that he mentioned.
Old 09-12-19, 10:35 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I couldn't tighten a rattling bottle cage bolt last night because of this.

Thanks for the reminder as I forgot to do it when I got home.

-Tim-
Even some long handle Allen wrenches have too long a handle for some of the "non-standard" bike parts. I have to find short ones. Seat posts are real tough sometimes.
Old 09-12-19, 10:43 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
For me the best multi tool available is the Tern tool:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/gear/472/tern-tool

I don't know how you can improve on it. Make it out of
titanium for the weight weenie crowd? Have a chinese
factory copy it and charge less?
That Tern is nice. Thanks for pointing it out.

Have you seen the Fabric 16/8/6 tools?

https://fabric.cc/products/tools/

The 16 is 110 grams. The 16 product page says "Torque" instead of "Torx".
Old 09-12-19, 11:20 AM
SCLee

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Look at Park Tool MTB-7 https://www.parktool.com/product/rescue-tool-mtb-7
Old 09-12-19, 11:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
OP: this is a heavily saturated market. Unless you are already with one of the large bike gear companies (and if are, you would not be doing market research on a forum thread like this...), you are well-advised to find another business opportunity.
Old 09-12-19, 08:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I want something that uses a proper JIS screwdriver. Really if they made a lightweight version of the CrankBros M10 with a JIS screwdriver and ti tools that would be fine by me. Though the tool from Spurcycle is nice (minus the lack of JIS) and is certainly easier to use in tighter to reach bolts. Loosing the small bits would suck and isn't hard to do but I do like the weight and size of it.
Old 02-26-20, 03:57 AM
itsollyg

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not funny

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Make it entirely of plant fibers and single-use only. Once used, have it be an edible energy snack that comes in multiple flavors. Put a blinkie light on it made from phosphorescent plankton.
Damn Bro you got the whole squad laughing!
Old 02-26-20, 06:12 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It needs to not bend, not be bulky, and to have the tools I need.
Pretty straight forward.

I would be interested to hear why you want to design a new multi-tool. How did you land on a multi-tool as what you want to redesign? The only reason why someone would want to design a new version of something that has literally hundreds of versions for sale, is if they think their version is better- so what would make yours better? Nicer case? Lighter? Less expensive?

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19
https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/f15

Tough to improve on these two options. So I start here and go from there with your improvements?
All seriousness- an aluminum case would be nice, like what the f15 uses. it would help reduce rusting on the tool, keep it from opening up when stored in a wedge bag, and take up less room when pulling stuff out then packing the wedge bag.
So there you go- make a case that is form fitting to the tool and light. People like colors- so anodize it and soon you too will swim in coins like Scrooge McDuck.
this 👍
Old 02-26-20, 08:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
A few years ago I found a paneer pack on the side of a bike path and it contained a few odds and ends including a Brooks seat wrench, a chain splitter with a replaceable master link, chain lube,a spare tube, and a Multi tool that was well worn on the handle. I was surprised to see how many tools fit in this thing that is only slightly larger than a folding hex key set. I posted on the local CL lost and found and asked around those that frequent the bike path and I ended up keeping the pack and its contents. The Multi tool looks like it says Advent or something on the side and I carry it instead of my old Swiss Army knife . I am happy to say I have never used it except to help someone with a loose stem bolt. I have seen several variations of these things and the one that really impressed me was the Topeak Alien set, it seemed to have just about everything.
Old 02-27-20, 09:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
The real wisdom in creating a multi tool is to make one that does what you need to do but doesn't have any extras. Added functions tend to make multi tools more bulky which decreases their utility. I remember once realizing there was no way to install a water bottle cage with the folding multi tool I was using because, no matter how I oriented the tool, it hit some part of the water bottle cage.

A job that would have been a cinch with a simple 4mm Allen key was impossible with that folding Allen key set.

I might be interested in a on-the-bike tool that had a set of tire levers, 4,5,6 Allen keys and a tiny needle nose pliers for extracting those tiny steel wires that keep puncturing my tires.
Old 02-27-20, 10:33 AM
PDXCarless

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
The only thing that keeps me from carrying a multi-tool is I can't leave it on my bike as it will get stolen. I carry multiple bags depending on the weather, whether I'm commuting or running errands so the likelihood of me not having my multi-tool in my bag is significant. The only option I have that I'll dependably not forget are inadequate keyring tools. Make a tool that mounts to the outside of a u-lock hoop and can't be removed without opening the u-lock.

The Brompton multi-tool that fits in the folding tube of the Brompton is the best scenario assuming you take the bike inside with you instead of locking it up.
Old 02-27-20, 12:31 PM
aenciso

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDXCarless
I carry multiple bags depending on the weather, whether I'm commuting or running errands
Same here. I use multiple bikes and bags. I ended up creating a 'bike first aid kit' with small lezyne multitool, pump, patch kit and tube that I transfer between bags since I almost always travel with a pannier or backpack.
Old 02-29-20, 09:51 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
A minimal multitool

This is one of those threads that never quits. I carry this simple Park multitool for rides of up to 100 miles:

This has been adequate for 20 years. Were I going cross-country, I might need more, but really, if you maintain your bike at all, how much do you need? A spare tube is much more useful than a multitool for day riding.
Likes For BCDrums:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.