Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Where's best to gravel grind in US?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Where's best to gravel grind in US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 01:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I recall there was a site that tried to document gravel rides in the U.S. Anyone have a link?

Okay, I guess it was gravelmap. Crowd sourced, so not complete. https://gravelmap.com/#@40.764432665...8904,10,hybrid

It doesn't show gravel roads in an area until you do something. Zooming in on an area will make it happen automagically.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-09-19 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 02:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
agreed. Here in Central Pennsylvania, most of the gravel roads are concentrated in the state lands. Although the county south of here is starting to revert more and more paved roads to gravel, so that might change.
Old 09-09-19, 02:47 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I travel extensively for work and in my experience this is not remotely true. Sure you can find a random 1/2 mile gravel road here and there but good gravel riding? A comprehensive route that is fun to ride? You gotta do your research, especially coming from another country.
Fair enough, and I'll defer to your experience. I guess maybe it's more fair to say there can be gravel riding found in places you don't suspect. If you want a gravel ride without ANY paved roads - yeah that's tough. Yesterday I did a 111 mile ride that was half gravel. Of the other half about 90% of it was quiet country roads, and 10% I had to hit some busier roads (but by no means busy) to get from one area to another. It tied together a bunch of New YOrk State forest lands which was where most (but not all) of the gravel roads were. If you go to the Catskills in NY, about an hour and half from me, there are loads of gravel roads - but again not necessarily uninterrupted by paved roads. Same in the Adirondacks, or really most areas of the state until you get closer to NYC.

If you go to Vermont you can find all manner of dirt and gravel riding. Maine has to have a ton of it - the state is practically empty of people!
Old 09-11-19, 04:56 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I'd also recommend the D2R2 which starts in Deerfield, MA and goes into Southern VT. There's several different routes with the longest being up to 180k. Very hilly but beautiful rural gravel roads. If you fly into Boston, it's not very far to drive to the Deerfield area so that could be very convenient for you. Even flying into New York wouldn't have a very long drive although Boston is definitely closer. It runs in August but they have the cue sheets on-line so you could ride on your own if you're so inclined (that's what I've done and pieced together variations of the different routes).
Old 09-11-19, 08:56 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
I'd also recommend the D2R2 which starts in Deerfield, MA and goes into Southern VT. There's several different routes with the longest being up to 180k. Very hilly but beautiful rural gravel roads. If you fly into Boston, it's not very far to drive to the Deerfield area so that could be very convenient for you. Even flying into New York wouldn't have a very long drive although Boston is definitely closer. It runs in August but they have the cue sheets on-line so you could ride on your own if you're so inclined (that's what I've done and pieced together variations of the different routes).
1 hour from Hartford.. even easier.
Old 09-11-19, 09:12 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Agree that Hartford would be the best in terms of driving distance. OP is from the UK so I'm thinking getting flights from the UK to Hartford/Bradley airport would be a pretty big headache and cost much more time in flight transfers than it would save in driving time. But, yeah, driving from Bradley to Deerfield would be a breeze!
Old 09-11-19, 10:31 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Ahh didn't think international. would have to see about flights it would depend i guess. I might try the 160k next year.. done the 115k last 2 years and its pretty sweet.
Likes For Jakedatc: