Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spokes breaking repetitively

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spokes breaking repetitively

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 09:42 PM
dmusicant

Bikes: Miyata road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
As I said in my post. I filed each side of the screwdriver blade until there was only a thin/narrow bit left that was small enough to fit inside the spoke nipple. The I filed that thin section until it'd release once the screwdriver turned the spoke nipple 4 times. What happens is that after 4 turns of the spoke nipple the spoke inside the nipple pushes the screwdriver/nipple driver out of the slot in the spoke nipple head. The other screwdriver/nipple drivers have different lengths of the narrow part that fits inside the spoke nipple. By varying those lengths I can control how many turns that driver makes before letting go. It makes it so easy to bring the wheel build to the final tensioning/trueing phase.

Cheers
OK, I think I maybe understand this. A shape like this:

--|_|--

The center portion is pushed up by the spoke nipple after 4 turns and the outside gets no further purchase on the nipple to make it turn. Is this right?
Old 09-26-19, 09:51 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by dmusicant
OK, I think I maybe understand this. A shape like this:

--|_|--

The center portion is pushed up by the spoke nipple after 4 turns and the outside gets no further purchase on the nipple to make it turn. Is this right?
Correct. It sure makes getting the spokes into the wheel and up to first tension really easy.

Cheers
Old 09-27-19, 07:43 AM
dmusicant

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Correct. It sure makes getting the spokes into the wheel and up to first tension really easy.

Cheers
I presume this only works if your rim is pretty circular to begin with, not "out of whack." I don't see offhand why this would be better than just counting turns, say 4.
Old 09-27-19, 08:19 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

I presume this only works if your rim is pretty circular to begin with, not "out of whack." I don't see offhand why this would be better than just counting turns, say 4.
I use them for building new wheels or if I'm rebuilding a wheel. Having the nipple driver disengage from the spoke after 4 turns or 8 turns or how many turns thetool is made for means I DON'T have to count the number of turns. That makes it so much easier when dealing with 32 or 36 spokes. I don't have to worry about loosing count.

Cheers
Old 12-13-19, 09:48 AM
dmusicant

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried using the old wheel with SS spokes but when removing the quick release I found that the bearing races were pretty badly pitted. I suppose I can get new parts for it (races and bearings). I continued to roll on the old wheel and a couple weeks ago had two more broken spokes, as usual on the freewheel side of the wheel. Had a nasty time replacing those two spokes (with used spokes I have) and decided to order that cheap Wheel Master single wall (but stainless steel spoked) rear quick release off Amazon and received it a few days ago. Mostly good reviews, but everyone says it typically comes with the cones cinched up too tight and usually with not enough bearing grease. I opened it up, put in around a cubic centimeter more bearing grease in each side and adjusted it to where to me it seems perfect. Haven't installed it yet, will over the next couple days using my old freewheel and chain.

I've been having a very tough time getting the rear wheel to sit centered for the last couple years. My bike mechanic, when I brought it to him, said the rear axle was broken, he replaced it, and I suppose that fixed it, but the other day if I got the tire in the middle between the chain stays, the tire would rub against the starboard brake pad (single pivot side-pull caliper brake). Finally got it working, but still, on top by the brake mechanism the tire is too far to the left (starboard). Have always had this problem with this bike. Maybe with the new wheel it won't be like that. Maybe I need spacer(s) where the wheel sits?

Last edited by dmusicant; 12-13-19 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-13-19, 12:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Try the new wheel?
Old 12-13-19, 12:53 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
I tried using the old wheel with SS spokes but when removing the quick release I found that the bearing races were pretty badly pitted. I suppose I can get new parts for it (races and bearings). I continued to roll on the old wheel and a couple weeks ago had two more broken spokes, as usual on the freewheel side of the wheel. Had a nasty time replacing those two spokes (with used spokes I have) and decided to order that cheap Wheel Master single wall (but stainless steel spoked) rear quick release off Amazon and received it a few days ago. Mostly good reviews, but everyone says it typically comes with the cones cinched up too tight and usually with not enough bearing grease. I opened it up, put in around a cubic centimeter more bearing grease in each side and adjusted it to where to me it seems perfect. Haven't installed it yet, will over the next couple days using my old freewheel and chain.

I've been having a very tough time getting the rear wheel to sit centered for the last couple years. My bike mechanic, when I brought it to him, said the rear axle was broken, he replaced it, and I suppose that fixed it, but the other day if I got the tire in the middle between the chain stays, the tire would rub against the starboard brake pad (single pivot side-pull caliper brake). Finally got it working, but still, on top by the brake mechanism the tire is too far to the left (starboard). Have always had this problem with this bike. Maybe with the new wheel it won't be like that. Maybe I need spacer(s) where the wheel sits?
How far to the left (starboard) in mm? Eventually you may need to adjust the position of the caliper.
Old 12-13-19, 12:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

You don't need a chain wear gage - you only need a 12" ruler. Measure from the centre of one pin on the bottom run of chain to the centre of the pin closest to 12" along. If the chain is more than ~1/16" 'stretched' over 12" then it is likely worn to the point that a new chain will not mesh properly with your old cogs.
+1 But don't measure center to center. Yes, that is the number you want but it is much easier to measure from right edge of pin to right edge of pin (or left to left).

What you car about is how far the pins of the stretched chain are apart. Your teeth wear to that dimension, Poor chain gauges measure that AND the slop in the rollers which matters zero to tooth wear. (All the rollers of the links on a cog or chainring flop the same direction. How much doesn't matter.)

Steel tape measures work really well, cost $12, are available anywhere and have all kinds of other uses.

Ben
Old 12-13-19, 04:41 PM
Miele Man

Is your tire centered between both the chain stays and the seat stays?

It's quite common for a single pivot brake caliper to go a bit out of alignment. You can use a tool similar to a cone wrench to center a single pivot brake if it has flats on it. If the caliper does not have flats then you can center it by tapping one of the coils of the brake spring using a flat punch, a long bolt or even a screw driver and a small hammer or mallet.

Or you can read this old thread and try some of the hints in it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-calipers.html

Cheers
Old 12-19-19, 06:49 PM
dmusicant

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Few days ago I installed that new Wheel Master single wall SS spoked QR rear wheel using my old freewheel and chain (cleaning them during the swap). Fantastic so far. Great thing about this is that it fit perfectly... my last wheel AFAIK never did fit right, I'd have a tough time getting the wheel to clear the brake pads. Even more exciting, my indexed shifting is working now whereas the last 1/2 year or so it would skip a cog or not change at all. Had to add some grease and adjust the bearings, not a big deal, before installing. Haven't checked the spoke tensions (I AM CURIOUS!), but I don't see much wobble to start with.