Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Driver awareness, divine intervention, and anti-lock brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Driver awareness, divine intervention, and anti-lock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 07:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Out for a ride this morning along the roads through my favorite corn fields, thinking deeply about a dear friend I have just lost. I recall seeing a car stop at a cross road about 100 yards up the road, and recall thinking about stopping, but when I got to the intersection I simply kept going without stopping. I recall looking for traffic and noting some about 200 yards to my right and one red truck to my left, and recall thinking of stopping, but for some reason I didn't stop until half way into the intersection after seeing the red truck to my left in a deep nose dive with the anti-lock brakes chirping the front tires.

Popped out of both pedals at the same time, and shrugged as I had no conscious clue the truck was there. The look on the driver's face was one of anger and terror. Thankfully he was aware of what was going on, as clearly I was not. There I was standing in the middle of his lane, looking at the truck coming to a sudden stop, and feeling this force, or hand, or something between the front of the truck and myself. I felt safe for some reason.

Thankfully the driver was aware, the Lord was watching, and someone invented anti-lock brakes.
Wasn't your time to go. I bet a person could spend an entire day, trying in vain to get hit by a car, and fail miserably time after time. I have a feeling that it's much harder to get hit by traffic than it looks. It generally takes a major confluence of events / bad luck for anything really catastrophic to happen on the roads, I suspect.
Old 10-01-19, 07:45 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Wasn't your time to go. I bet a person could spend an entire day, trying in vain to get hit by a car, and fail miserably time after time. I have a feeling that it's much harder to get hit by traffic than it looks. It generally takes a major confluence of events / bad luck for anything really catastrophic to happen on the roads, I suspect.

You'll have to try harder! Place yourself in unexpected places at unexpected times, so an unsuspecting driver is caught by surprise. Extra points if you dress up like a Spanish cardinal!

Seriously, stepping in front of a vehicle without giving the driver time to react is all it takes.
Old 10-01-19, 07:52 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Try intentionally driving your car off the road sometime. You can't do it, your self-preservation reflexes will take over and stop you at the last second.

I think that between the "suicidal" pedestrian's own hesitation, and the driver's reflexes, intentionally getting hit by a car in city traffic would prove very difficult. Though probably not impossible, just difficult.
Old 10-01-19, 08:43 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Try intentionally driving your car off the road sometime. You can't do it, your self-preservation reflexes will take over and stop you at the last second.

I think that between the "suicidal" pedestrian's own hesitation, and the driver's reflexes, intentionally getting hit by a car in city traffic would prove very difficult. Though probably not impossible, just difficult.
You're on. I'm going to go test this out today!
Old 10-01-19, 09:12 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Bikecrate, that is a scary situation to be in. Have not been on the bike since this happened last week. Just not feeling like my situational awareness is where it should be. Need to weed out the preoccupation with my thoughts before I hit the road again. As it is October tomorrow, the ride time is limited for the rest of the year and until spring, so I am good with it.
I have cancelled a few rides when I felt my "head was not in the game". However, don't let it get to you too much. Sometimes the cure is to just get out there and ride again to shake out the jitters.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 10-01-19, 07:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I can be pretty militant with drivers who endanger my life - I will yell, shake my fist, even chase them down to yell a bit. I’m not proud of it, but the adrenaline takes over sometimes. Also, I want them to know that they’ve screwed up.

On the other hand, I’ve also chased down a couple drivers after I have made mistakes that forced them into evasive maneuvers - so that I can apologize. Fair is fair.
Old 10-01-19, 07:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
It certainly doesn't take bad luck or a confluence of events if you're "trying in vain to get hit." I suspect the success rate would be nearly 100%.
Old 10-01-19, 08:52 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Anti-lock brakes are a wonderful innovation.
Old 10-03-19, 12:50 PM
jshap24

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3, Cannondale Synapse 2,1982 Raleigh International MKII, full Campy Nuovo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been the driver in this scenario before. Came to all ways stop sign intersection of 2 one way streets. Stopped and watched traffic go on the other one way street, then my turn came up and I started to go...a bike then appeared out of nowhere coming through the stop sign without stopping. Luckily I was able to stop. Scared the sh*t out of both of us and then he looked at me like I did something wrong. If saving his life for doing something stupid was wrong, I guess I can live with that.
Old 10-04-19, 08:57 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Quick question: Did you blow through a stop sign?
Wrong question.

Was he wearing a helmet?
Old 10-04-19, 08:59 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I, of course, have never, ever been distracted and done something dumb while on a bike.

Well, this week.

Mostly because I haven't been riding (tweaked knee).

Old 10-04-19, 08:35 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
You obviously don't live in Tucson...

I worry about getting hit by a car just walking the dog through the neighborhood.