Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

why lock front suspension?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 11:25 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I understand that the front suspension on hybrids is intended for rough conditions like unpaved trails.
But what is the big deal about having a remote lock out?
What is the advantage on a paved road of eliminating the damping effect of the fork by locking out the suspension?
Old 06-20-15, 11:36 AM
RickGr4

Bikes: 2016 Giant Fastroad CoMax 2, 2002 Jamis Tangier, Classic Nakamichi 10 speed.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because for every fraction of an inch that your forks "give" or compress, it takes efficiency away from your pedaling power. Many pavement riders don't want to give up the efficiency when riding on hard surfaces. You will be faster on roads if you can lock your fork.

Originally Posted by avidone1
I understand that the front suspension on hybrids is intended for rough conditions like unpaved trails.
But what is the big deal about having a remote lock out?
What is the advantage on a paved road of eliminating the damping effect of the fork by locking out the suspension?
Old 06-20-15, 12:30 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickGr4
Because for every fraction of an inch that your forks "give" or compress, it takes efficiency away from your pedaling power. Many pavement riders don't want to give up the efficiency when riding on hard surfaces. You will be faster on roads if you can lock your fork.
And you will be able to climb better.
Old 06-20-15, 01:19 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was just as skeptical until I got the manual lock-out feature on my 2015 Specialized Expert Disc. Makes all the difference. Bike is way faster and stiffer climbing or on flat fast pavement. If I'm descending and there are going to be significant bumps or seams I just flick the lock-out and activate my suspension. Changes the ride for the better completely. Try it. I bet you will like it.
Old 06-20-15, 03:44 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also keeps the front end from pogo-ing when hitting the brakes going downhill.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-20-15, 06:40 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
On 29ers with rigid forks, front suspension is unnecessary. Wider tires provide all the float one needs. And it doesn't rob one of pedaling energy induced by bobbing motion on an asphalt surface.
Old 06-20-15, 09:15 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Locked off for pavement or road pretty much always.

I'll even lock it off going uphill on dirt/gravel/trails especially if I'm off the seat.
Old 06-21-15, 08:39 AM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pretty much what everybody said.

You want your front suspension locked on roads for efficiency. You will want it unlocked on trails to remove the buzz from the rough surface, make things more comfortable, and keep your front wheel connected to the ground (I.e. remove wheel bouncing).

Do do not buy a dual sport type hybrid without a "lockable" suspension if you plan do do any roads, or you will regret it as some other forum goers did. I initially tried a lower end DS with suspension always open, and the mushy front bouncing while I pedaled - sapping my power was a deal breaker! A hydraulic "on the go lockout" was the sweet spot.

As for different lockout terminology (typically as you go up the range):
- non locking: don't get these!
- mechanical lockout: need to get your weight off the bike to turn a knob on suspension to lock/unlock.
- hydraulic lockout: can reach down and turn a knob on suspension while riding to lock/unlock.
- remote lockout: lever on the handlebar to lock/unlock while riding (no reaching).
Old 06-21-15, 09:10 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve_cay
Pretty much what everybody said.

You want your front suspension locked on roads for efficiency. You will want it unlocked on trails to remove the buzz from the rough surface, make things more comfortable, and keep your front wheel connected to the ground (I.e. remove wheel bouncing).

Do do not buy a dual sport type hybrid without a "lockable" suspension if you plan do do any roads, or you will regret it as some other forum goers did. I initially tried a lower end DS with suspension always open, and the mushy front bouncing while I pedaled - sapping my power was a deal breaker! A hydraulic "on the go lockout" was the sweet spot.

As for different lockout terminology (typically as you go up the range):
- non locking: don't get these!
- mechanical lockout: need to get your weight off the bike to turn a knob on suspension to lock/unlock.
- hydraulic lockout: can reach down and turn a knob on suspension while riding to lock/unlock.
- remote lockout: lever on the handlebar to lock/unlock while riding (no reaching).
Excellent reply....thanks
Old 06-21-15, 10:21 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Lock-out on low-end forks masks the lack of adjustability and valving that higher end forks have. The inability to fine tune spring rate, compression and rebound damping, as well as sag and lack of any type of anti-bob valving means locking-out the pogo stick is the only option you have. My suggestion is that youre better off with a rigid fork than any suspension fork that lacks the adjustments necessary to keep the tire tracking properly
Old 06-21-15, 10:34 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
On 29ers with rigid forks, front suspension is unnecessary.
Now I'm really​ confused....
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 06-21-15, 11:24 AM
dumans24

Bikes: 2016 Trek 8.5 DS, 2010 Felt F4, 1998 Cannondale Silk Path 900, 1975 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
I was just as skeptical until I got the manual lock-out feature on my 2015 Specialized Expert Disc. Makes all the difference. Bike is way faster and stiffer climbing or on flat fast pavement. If I'm descending and there are going to be significant bumps or seams I just flick the lock-out and activate my suspension. Changes the ride for the better completely. Try it. I bet you will like it.
+1 remote lock-out. makes all the difference.
Old 06-22-15, 09:02 AM
Robin Hood

Bikes: 6 (3 electric, 3 folders)+ 1 3hub-geared hybrid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickGr4
Because for every fraction of an inch that your forks "give" or compress, it takes efficiency away from your pedaling power.
That might be a little too technical for some people (including myself) to comprehend. Would a suitable analogy be that of riding with under-inflated tyres?
Old 06-22-15, 09:24 AM
RickGr4

Bikes: 2016 Giant Fastroad CoMax 2, 2002 Jamis Tangier, Classic Nakamichi 10 speed.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was too technical??? Under inflated tires are certainly different but yes, it still falls into the category of muting or taking away power from your pedaling efforts.

Originally Posted by Robin Hood
That might be a little too technical for some people (including myself) to comprehend. Would a suitable analogy be that of riding with under-inflated tyres?