Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So I Bought a Touring Bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 08:55 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts

A Devinci Caribou, which has a good reputation as a long distance touring bike, was advertised locally for a ridiculously low price and I couldn't resist. I'm not an experienced long distancer. All the touring I've done has been carrying clothes and a few essentials, eating in restaurants (or food stands, staying in rentals - BnBs, inns etc. I don't think I'll change that much but at least I can take this on the plane without worrying too much that it'll be crushed like one of my carbon bikes. and it has braze ons so I can put panniers on it more easily.

It's first big trip will be to Hokkaido with me in June. We're booked in ryokans (traditional inns) so won't need to pack too much stuff.

I'm thinking of a few mods, Brooks saddle for one. Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 04-29-16, 09:17 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Yea, I do. Tell me about this ridiculously good deal you got! I'm envious.

Touring is the whole reason I got into cycling in the first place. The commuting, the endurance rides ... all of it ... ultimately came from a desire to hop on the bike and ride off into the sunset. But the truth is, the only touring I've done is supported touring and credit card touring ... I've not done the fully self supported variety.

I'd put a comfortable saddle on it and go!

Old 04-29-16, 09:54 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I'm not familiar with that one, but I definitely like touring bikes, even if you're not touring. It just makes so much sense, to be able to mount racks & panniers. Then you can carry all kinds of stuff, without having to carry it yourself. The bike carries it all for you. I just mounted V-brakes and a cheap rack recently, on my old Peugeot, now waiting on decent weather, for a test ride.
Old 04-29-16, 09:54 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
Anybody got any suggestions?
Take me with you?
Old 04-29-16, 10:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Which Brooks saddle? Almost all of my riding is on recumbents now so I've got some better-than-new ones for sale.
Old 04-29-16, 10:50 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Pictures please?
Old 04-29-16, 12:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Be sure the wheels can handle the load. I see a couple of reports by owners a few years ago saying the OEM wheels might not handle heavy touring loads.

I don't do any touring right now, but I just had to replace a rear wheel on my comfy hybrid when the single wall rim warped after popping only one spoke. I don't ride too rough, maybe some gravel trails for about 10% of my rides. But I do carry 30-50 lbs of groceries about once a week on the rear rack, which may have stressed the original wheel. The spoke popped and rim warped on fairly smooth pavement and wasn't under load, so it didn't occur to me right away that I might have over-stressed it gradually over the past several months. I figured my own 165 lb weight didn't contribute too much stress -- I hope!

I just got it back from the shop yesterday, with a new double wall rim and heavier spokes. I didn't want to just replace a spoke and deal with nickel and diming the thing over the next few months, especially since the popped spoke was on the drive side of the hub. Feels the same overall. But I'll worry less now.
Old 04-29-16, 01:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another brand name on a pretty standard design theme just a CDN company.. Devinci Caribou 2 2012 | Cycle Technique

Mutguards Tubus racks How about a Kick-stand they plan around fitting one?

Doesnt have to be a Long distance on any given day .. stop a Lot .. You will probably only be there Once.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-29-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 02:21 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I love road touring bikes, including Caribou, although my conservative aesthetic tastes favor horizontal top tubes and brazed external lugs instead of visible TIG welds. With their high spoke counts and cross-laced patterns, something else I strongly favor, those OEM wheels should serve you well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-29-16, 02:41 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had never heard of the Devinci Caribou, but an initial search produced lots of info on the Canadian made bike. The spec's online showed is suffers the same gearing that my Jamis Aurora Elite did new - Road Gearing vs. Touring Gears. Looks like a very nice bike with lots of opportunity to customize to meet your needs. Congratulations! Enjoy!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-29-16, 03:08 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

get better than Brooks ... I spent a long time researching and was advised on this forum and eventually bought a Gilles Berthout Aravis (with titanium rails) .... a bit more expensive, but comfy straight out of the box, and thicker leather, better waterproof resistance, and very well made. Also get the Berthoud proofhide/wax and his saddle cover for the wet (it's very good quality) ....

also.... if you do decide on the Berhoud Aravis.... keep the angle of the saddle level (no need to tilt it up like the Brooks)