Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Opinion on fatbike studded tires efficiency please.

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-17, 11:13 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I asked my bike mechanic what he thought about fatbikes with studded tires as a commuter in winter. He said they are great on snow,ice and off trail but not when there is a signifigant amount of snow on ice. He said the tires wouldn't chew through the snow but the snow would slip on the ice.

He runs a mountain bike with just about the best studded tires on it.
I respect his opinion a great deal and his opinion reflects what everyone at the bike shop thinks.
But that is just a few opinions and only from one shop.

What is your take on what was said?
Old 12-25-17, 12:07 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
if you want to cut through the snow and get studs into the ice, fat bike tires are the opposite of what you want. in a commuting scenario, assuming you ride where cars have already compacted the snow into basically ice, you might get away with studded fat bike tires.
Old 12-25-17, 07:36 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Yeah, he is right. If there is ice and then snow on top of the snow, the fat tire will try to 'float' on the snow but then will slip on the ice.

The fat bike or fat tire will do better on snowy surface that is soft and would make narrower tires to cut in and get pushed around whatever is underneath. A fat tire will try to roll over it with it's wide footprint. Then on surfaces that are icy a fat tire with studs will help climbing or descending when you need to make a turn or when you need to hit the brakes on a downhill where regular tire will just slip.

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
I asked my bike mechanic what he thought about fatbikes with studded tires as a commuter in winter. He said they are great on snow,ice and off trail but not when there is a signifigant amount of snow on ice. He said the tires wouldn't chew through the snow but the snow would slip on the ice.

I respect his opinion a great deal and his opinion reflects what everyone at the bike shop thinks.

Old 12-25-17, 09:15 PM
PdalPowr

Thanks for the confirmation.
Getting that kind of input makes trusting my bike shop all the easier.

Too bad about the fatbike though.
I was looking at Moose Bike's fat bike 1. She is a beauty.
If I could afford one just for recreation then an impassable road or two doesn't matter.
But I also need it to get to appointments and such.
Old 01-02-18, 01:56 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Fat bike efficiency? Try fun factor. Length of commute and conditions? Do they plow the bike paths? What is your winter like? My studded fat bike tires work pretty good on the ice. Not better than my 29er with 2.1 tires though. Look at what is the best tool for the job for most of the conditions.
Old 01-02-18, 02:02 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Any tire, including studded car winter tires, will encounter snow thick enough that, although the tire might grip the top surface of the snow, it won't penetrate the snow to the ice or hard-pack, slippery snow below it and traction will suffer. It is my opinion though that studded tires are good for winter conditions because when ice or hard-pack slippery snow is encountered, rubber knobbies on the tires won't bite into these surfaces but studs will.
Old 01-10-18, 06:10 PM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The effectiveness of the spikes is directly related to the pressure per square inch (or centimeter) that the tires apply to the ground. Consequently, the thinner the tires, the more effective the spikes are. Can't fight with physics?

Personally I've hit a balance of sorts with Ice Spiker 27.5/2.6 tires that's recently been released by Schwalbe.
Old 01-11-18, 08:39 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I run 45NRTH Dillinger 4 studded tires, they are great on snow, ice, and pavement (however, you need to adjust tire pressure for the conditions). I've ridden these tires on snow over glare ice without issue, once the snow is deep enough, the tires will float and typically the snow will grip the ice enough to keep traction (don't do anything 'crazy').

If you have the choice of studded fatbike versus studded 26er (or studded 700x); I'd recommend the 26er (or 700x) because there are many more tire choices and studded 26er (or 700x) tires are A LOT less money and run a little more efficient (faster) for commuting. Frankly, Dillingers are designed for snowy trails, not clear pavement; they run well on pavement, but not their design focus. And there are lots of studded 26er (or 700x) tires designed for commuters, with the focus on efficiency on pavement with grip for ice.

I ended up getting the Dillingers last year when we had super icy conditions and my old 26er frame broke... so the fatbike was the best bike for icy rides. And I moved to a home office a couple years ago, so winter rides are for fun, not commuting.

For reference, here's a clip of my Dillinger tires on some snow covered ice:

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-11-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-11-18, 10:16 AM
PdalPowr

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I run 45NRTH Dillinger 4 studded tires, they are great on snow, ice, and pavement (however, you need to adjust tire pressure for the conditions). I've ridden these tires on snow over glare ice without issue, once the snow is deep enough, the tires will float and typically the snow will grip the ice enough to keep traction (don't do anything 'crazy').

If you have the choice of studded fatbike versus studded 26er (or studded 700x); I'd recommend the 26er (or 700x) because there are many more tire choices and studded 26er (or 700x) tires are A LOT less money and run a little more efficient (faster) for commuting. Frankly, Dillingers are designed for snowy trails, not clear pavement; they run well on pavement, but not their design focus. And there are lots of studded 26er (or 700x) tires designed for commuters, with the focus on efficiency on pavement with grip for ice.

I ended up getting the Dillingers last year when we had super icy conditions and my old 26er frame broke... so the fatbike was the best bike for icy rides. And I moved to a home office a couple years ago, so winter rides are for fun, not commuting.

For reference, here's a clip of my Dillinger tires on some snow covered ice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ssoT6qmjo
Thanks for sharing the info and that sweet ride.
You must be tough. It looked pretty darn cold.

As for working at home?
You could still commute.
The stairs would even be fun.
Old 01-11-18, 10:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Thanks for sharing the info and that sweet ride.
You must be tough. It looked pretty darn cold.

As for working at home?
You could still commute.
The stairs would even be fun.
Lisa and the dogs would get really PO'd if I rode down the stairs... but I've been known to move my trainer into my office and ride while working

I'd love to think I'm tough... but honestly, this was the most direct route to the tap room to pick up a growler

I'm going to ride a 15-mile race on that lake on Sunday, that'll be tough... we had two days of thaw, now the temps are falling to make sure the ice is totally free of snow & smooth as glass, and race time temps will be around 8F with light snow. This will be my first race on the Dillinger tires and their biggest test! I'll be sure to share a race report and video/photos. Planned race course

26220872_10155378811696925_3833953261504056806_o.jpg

(Sorry, kinda off topic, but not totally off topic)
Old 01-24-18, 03:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I'll be sure to share a race report and video/photos
looking forward to it!
Old 01-25-18, 06:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
looking forward to it!
Dang! I forgot to post an update.

I created a thread for this race: Fatbike race on lake ice... hold my beer & watch this (video)
Old 01-25-18, 07:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Dang! I forgot to post an update.

I created a thread for this race: Fatbike race on lake ice... hold my beer & watch this (video)
oh sorry, I saw that, guess I didn't make the connection. my bad. nice sunny day!
Old 01-25-18, 07:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh sorry, I saw that, guess I didn't make the connection. my bad. nice sunny day!
It's so Minnesotan to say "At least it's sunny" when it's sub-zero