Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Must-have accessories

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Must-have accessories

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 09:29 PM
roadcurious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must-have accessories

So far after buying my hybrid, I have bought the following:

head light
tail light
bibs x2
pedals
bottle cages x2
water bottles x2
phone mount
new saddle
gloves
helmet

still to buy:
bar ends w tape
recessed shoes
jerseys
cadence sensor
bike computer

what are some other must have accessories?
Old 06-03-18, 02:55 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I think you're already above and beyond must-haves with your current list! The only must haves in my opinion are safety-related depending on your situation (like helmet, lights if you ride at night, hydration, etc). After that, it's all about having fun and maximizing your enjoyment. You have a lot of things already that many don't have and don't plan to ever buy (I never wear cycling shoes, cycling clothes, gloves, etc). I like to get on and ride without donning a bunch of kit.

I will add to your list three more items that, like lights, are situational: cargo rack, fenders, and repair items. All of my bikes have cargo racks on them, and I have one trunk bag that works on any of them. Whenever I'm going out on a ride, I put whatever I need with me on the trip into the trunk bag and fasten it to the rack of whichever bike I'm going to ride that day. This might include lunch, snacks, towels, jackets, hats, books, whatever the case may be. I often cycle to the park with my kids and bring a book to read while they play on the playground. So a trunk bag with rack is very much a must-have for my situation. I would say that I don't carry the trunk bag on most trips, but the rack is there on each bike so that I do have that capability if I want it for a longer or specific ride (like to the park where I want to read, bring a computer, etc).

Fenders are useful if you bike in the rain or snow. I would also recommend repair items. I have an SKS Cagebox that goes with me on every ride. It's stocked with various repair items like: tube patches, tire levers, mini pump, extra chain links, etc). I have two water bottle cages on each of my bikes, and the Cagebox goes with me in the seat post cage on any bike I ride. The down tube cage has a 20 oz bottle of water or Gatorade (I use disposable bottles rather than washing plastic bottles). If I need more water on my trip, I bring some in the trunk bag.

Before buying more things, I'd just ride a lot and you'll discern what's important to you. You'll see on this forum that some people like cycling shoes and clip-in. Others ride flat pedals with street shoes. Some like bar ends mounted inboard, some like bar ends mounted outboard (and some don't use bar ends). Some like drop bars, some like flat bars, and some like alternative bars like trekking bars, H bars, etc. Some wear cycling clothes, some wear street clothes. There really are no rights and wrongs...just what works and doesn't work for you.
Old 06-04-18, 07:22 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I haven't done too much. I changed my grips for Ergon GP5's which I love. Best thing I've ever done. I also added a Topeak rack and Trunk bag for my commute. Other than that pretty much everything is stock on my bike. I do have lights and bottle cage and a phone holder but nothing else. I rode it stock for a few weeks to get a feel for it and then added the grips. The rack and trunk bag I added after commuting for a week with a backpack. The only other thing I may consider is to eventually add fenders but for now I ride in good weather only so it hasn't been an issue for me.
Old 06-04-18, 07:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...commuting.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...cessories.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...cessories.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ssentials.html
Old 06-04-18, 07:46 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
You need a small saddle bag with all the stuff to repair a flat (spare tube, patches, tire levers, mini pump, and a multitool would be good to have also)
Old 06-04-18, 09:03 AM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Must haves accessories...outside of making sure your bike is a good fit and comfortable...Water Bottle, Cage, Spare tube, tools, flat kit. Mini pump or CO2, Some handy wipes. Zip ties. Lights depending on when and where you ride. Something to carry all this junk. Comfortable clothing and shoes. Helmet. Eye protection. Sunblock. Energy snacks. I also carry an emergency information card. Something with my name, contacts, blood type, allergies, doctor, etc. I don't carry my everyday wallet. I have a Chums Surfshort wallet with bare necessities. Bank card, ID, insurance, small amount of cash.
Old 06-04-18, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A good lock to keep it.
Old 06-04-18, 04:32 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Kayak mount?