Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I Becoming a Grumpy Old Man?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Am I Becoming a Grumpy Old Man?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 04:33 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
What's a cell phone?
Old 08-26-18, 04:38 AM
dennis336

I was a Boy Scout back in the mid-60's. The Boy Scout motto is 'Be Prepared'. One of the ways we were advised to live out that motto was to always carry a dime with us so that, in an emergency, we could make a phone call at the nearest pay telephone booth. The beauty of the phone booth (in addition to Clark Kent having a place to change clothes) was that you could talk as loudly as you wanted without disturbing anyone.

Last edited by dennis336; 08-26-18 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 05:17 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I was seriously wondering where this post was going, but the way it circled back directly on topic was quite impressive.
Old 08-26-18, 05:59 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
I was a Boy Scout back in the mid-60's. The Boy Scout motto is 'Be Prepared'. One of the ways we were advised to live out that motto was to always carry a dime with us to that, in an emergency, we could make a phone call at the nearest pay telephone booth. The beauty of the phone booth (in addition to Clark Kent having a place to change clothes) was that you could talk as loudly as you wanted without disturbing anyone.
oh the things the youth of today missed out on.
Old 08-26-18, 06:19 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
oh the things the youth of today missed out on.

Yeah, staying with phones .... our first home phones were party lines. We shared a line with my cousin ... I used to like listening in to his calls when he was talking with his girl friends.
Old 08-26-18, 06:40 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Yeah, staying with phones .... our first home phones were party lines. We shared a line with my cousin ... I used to like listening in to his calls when he was talking with his girl friends.
yep, I remember the party lines. My mom and dad used to get aggrravated when they needed to make a phone call and the neigboors were wind bags.
Old 08-27-18, 07:40 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I suppose the world has become exhibitionist and everything is shared with everyone. Let it all hang out? BTW, I know what company in town I do not want to work for as they were discussing all sorts of employee dirty laundry. Probably should have taken/placed the call from his office.

One other thing, do you tend to talk quieter if someone nearby is on their cell phone, even when in a public space?
Old 08-28-18, 06:47 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Seven Seas
I was on a bus in Nairobi a couple of years back. The guy next to me was arguing loudly on his phone. "No!" he shouted, "It's not W.O.M.B. The spelling is W.O.M.B.A. WOMBA" This went on for a couple of minutes so I finally tapped him on the shoulder and put him straight. "Sorry, your friend is right. The correct spelling is W.O.M.B. Womb."
He turned to me with a look of utter disdain and said, "You don't know what you're talking about man. I bet you've never even HEARD an elephant fart."
The strangest thing is that I have actually heard an elephant fart...I called the cops 🤪

They came. I promptly forgot what I called them about and so I told them to get off my lawn.
Old 08-28-18, 08:59 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
So yes, as I get older I become a bit more "unfiltered".

However, I'd be careful to say anything in public. I've seen too many public brawls on YouTube, and for a lot less than what we're describing here.

Old 08-29-18, 10:20 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I was on a bus in Nairobi a couple of years back. The guy next to me was arguing loudly on his phone. "No!" he shouted, "It's not W.O.M.B. The spelling is W.O.M.B.A. WOMBA" This went on for a couple of minutes so I finally tapped him on the shoulder and put him straight. "Sorry, your friend is right. The correct spelling is W.O.M.B. Womb."
He turned to me with a look of utter disdain and said, "You don't know what you're talking about man. I bet you've never even HEARD an elephant fart."
Classic
Old 08-29-18, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
A decade or so ago a letter was published in the local legal "newspaper." It had been written by a lawyer who was commuting to work on a train and heard another lawyer talking about privileged information concerning a case the latter was handling. The writer pointed out that you never know who might be around you and listening to what you are saying. Opposing counsel could have been in the seat behind and listening to every word. (One time, while I was on train heading to a court hearing, I noticed that opposing counsel in the matter was sitting two rows away from me. The writer also pointed out the state's rules of professional conduct governing lawyers imposes a duty to take steps to keep privileged information confidential. Talking about privileged information openly in public is a violation of that duty. People need to exercise more discretion.
Old 08-29-18, 06:09 PM
moth54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
A decade or so ago a letter was published in the local legal "newspaper." It had been written by a lawyer who was commuting to work on a train and heard another lawyer talking about privileged information concerning a case the latter was handling. The writer pointed out that you never know who might be around you and listening to what you are saying. Opposing counsel could have been in the seat behind and listening to every word. (One time, while I was on train heading to a court hearing, I noticed that opposing counsel in the matter was sitting two rows away from me. The writer also pointed out the state's rules of professional conduct governing lawyers imposes a duty to take steps to keep privileged information confidential. Talking about privileged information openly in public is a violation of that duty. People need to exercise more discretion.
This was my thought, the OP mentions personnel issues were being discussed. I would have thought those involved some need for confidentiality and hence, discretion.

If the cell phone doesn't amplify the listening part of the device sufficiently, this may cause the user to speak more loudly into the speaking end to 'compensate.'
Old 08-29-18, 06:15 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
Three Truths:
Lemmy is God
Angus is Jesus
People that yak on cell phone are butt nuggets
My cousin used to have a Uriah Heep 8 track, and I would ask him to play it, but he always refused.

"Now, what could be bad about them, you're a Christian?" I would ask.

20 years later I realized I liked Black Sabbath a lot better.,
Old 08-29-18, 07:49 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by John00
Well part of growing old for me was loosing my hearing. I've lost well over 50% of my hearing.
You may have also suffered the same loss in your spelling.
Old 08-31-18, 11:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
When telephones first came to Vine Grove KY, my great-grandmother was the “switchboard” operator for the town’s party lines. I am told everyone was exceptionally nice to her, for fear their telephone secrets might become the gossip of the community.

Mama Brown also ran the largest boarding house in town. She was the lady-in-the-know.
Old 08-31-18, 11:26 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You make "Grumpy old man" sound like it's a bad thing.
Old 08-31-18, 01:25 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
You make "Grumpy old man" sound like it's a bad thing.
Only to everyone around you and everyone you meet.

edit: Hi Retro - we had / are having a great cycling summer. Little warm. Did you come?
Old 08-31-18, 01:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Only to everyone around you and everyone you meet.

edit: Hi Retro - we had / are having a great cycling summer. Little warm. Did you come?
1. Not my problem.
2. Yes, but only for a few days. Didn't bring our trikes this trip.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 08-31-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 02:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
This Quote is still making me laugh I’m bored foot in cast from surgery I can’t ride but I can scoot around on my scooter. I took the bell off my fatbike put in on the scooter and now I drive everyone nuts. Good thing it is football season. Womba
Old 08-31-18, 05:28 PM
dennis336

Originally Posted by Wildwood

When telephones first came to Vine Grove KY, my great-grandmother was the “switchboard” operator for the town’s party lines. I am told everyone was exceptionally nice to her, for fear their telephone secrets might become the gossip of the community.
THAT is power
Old 08-31-18, 05:42 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Actually in the past I would see guys with the earset thing talking and gesturing wildly like a crazy person, but lately not so much. At least the younger set seem to mostly be thumbing away in total quiet.

Those of us in the 50+ forum know that real phone numbers are things like SUnset2-nnnn or GReenfield5-yyyy

scott s.
Old 09-02-18, 04:51 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

What's a cell phone?
That's what you make your one phone call from jail with.
Old 09-02-18, 04:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

THAT is power

Yes it is, dearie.

Last edited by Rollfast; 09-02-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-02-18, 06:53 PM
dennis336

Originally Posted by Rollfast
That's what you make your one phone call from jail with.
Took me a minute to get the play on words ... was going reply with something lame like "with my luck my carrier wouldn't have service" ... but then, jail CELL ... I got it
Old 09-02-18, 06:56 PM
dennis336

Originally Posted by scott967
Actually in the past I would see guys with the earset thing talking and gesturing wildly like a crazy person, but lately not so much. At least the younger set seem to mostly be thumbing away in total quiet.

Those of us in the 50+ forum know that real phone numbers are things like SUnset2-nnnn or GReenfield5-yyyy

scott s.
Wow, yeah, brings back a memory ... mine was LUdlowx-xxxx. Funny I remember that ... can't remember what I had for breakfast but I remember that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.