Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I Becoming a Grumpy Old Man?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Am I Becoming a Grumpy Old Man?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 09:26 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
So is this two items?

Or one item since they get weighed together?

Or 8 items, since after all, eight bananas is eight bananas.

Or, does it matter if they're connected together in one bunch? So thirteen bananas in a bunch qualifies as one item and, therefore, is allowed to go through the Express Line. Broken off from the bunch, however, they become thirteen discreet items, thereby disqualifying the shopper from the Express Line.
Old 09-05-18, 04:41 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Welcome to the GOM (Grumpy Old Man) Club!

Old 09-08-18, 02:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Saw some good advice on Facebook. Before you become depressed and think you are a grumpy old man, make sure your are not surrounded by a bunch of mouthy AHs!!!!!
Old 09-09-18, 06:57 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
One rule:
Dang, now we have to have rules.

Old 09-09-18, 08:53 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's been a problem since cell phones were invented. Back then, my opinion was that they were rude self-absorbed people who never learned any manners, and were furthermore doing it to seek attention. Mine was the general attitude towards it then, I haven't changed my opinion since.

Since I was about 20 then, and people have commonly held those sorts in disgust in the intervening years, I'm going to say that your complaint is an objective one based on common courtesy and NOT being a grumpy old man.
Old 09-18-18, 12:38 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
As for the discussion, they should type it on parchment, put it in an envelope, seal it with wax, and affix postage, and send it on its way.
Pigeon post!
Old 09-18-18, 12:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
How's this for a grumpifying moment? I'm in the "12 items or less" lane behind a guy talking on his cellphone. He has another phone along with a pager clipped to his belt. He pays with an EBT card. But what chapped my tushie the most was that he had 15 items.

Originally Posted by dennis336
Or, does it matter if they're connected together in one bunch? So thirteen bananas in a bunch qualifies as one item and, therefore, is allowed to go through the Express Line. Broken off from the bunch, however, they become thirteen discreet items, thereby disqualifying the shopper from the Express Line.
When in such a situation, in which the checkout clerk points to the sign that says "Twelve items or less", I reply that the sign should read "Twelve items or fewer."
Old 09-18-18, 01:17 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Walmart needs a goon with a baseball bat enforcing the 20 items or less policy. 21 items too bad you are going to get it. Only exception is a case of beer with contains 24 cans but since it is contained in a cardboard box it is only one item. A bottle of vitamins containing 100 pills us still 100 items so get out of the line. Dang I’m bored
Old 09-18-18, 01:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
* And very grumpy
Old 09-18-18, 03:51 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
15 of the same item will take less time to process than 12 different items. so I go to the 12 or less isle.
Old 09-20-18, 07:19 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I told someone at work today that there had to be a grouchy old man on our crew, and I've decided to take on the role.
Old 09-21-18, 06:57 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
How incredibly old school ... talking on a cell phone!!
True. Mostly all I see nowadays are the Zombies shambling through the parks and stores, staring with vacant eyes at the little slab throwing cold light onto the waxy skin of their slack faces. AKA, checking their facebook/whatever feeds, and tapping out messages.

Oh, and around here, the "12 items or less" aisles at Wallyworld have mostly disappeared, replaced by self checkout.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 09-21-18 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 08:46 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I AM a grumpy, old man. Can't stand loud music, loud cars or bikes, loud parties or neighbors. I just cringe every time I'm told the grand kids are coming over for the weekend (they're 4 and 5). They are LOUD and disruptive. I try to remember that it's their parents' fault, not theirs, but I still don't like it.
Jon
Old 09-21-18, 08:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I AM a grumpy, old man. Can't stand loud music, loud cars or bikes, loud parties or neighbors. I just cringe every time I'm told the grand kids are coming over for the weekend (they're 4 and 5). They are LOUD and disruptive. I try to remember that it's their parents' fault, not theirs, but I still don't like it.
Jon
That's your karma. Who raised the parents?
Old 09-21-18, 09:13 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Jon
lol!
Old 09-21-18, 01:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Jon
And who raised the parent? Part of you is part of them. So take care on being too critical. In an y event, when they come to visit, you get to set the rules; and kids that age need to be separated from the adults.

Therefore, it might benefit everyone if they had something to do, and/or occupy their time. Remember, you want them to grow up with fawned memories of visiting grand pa. No memries of dread.
Old 09-21-18, 01:55 PM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I am getting more grumpier by the moment. Broke a bone in my foot. The Dr. said no cycling for at least 2 week probably longer. . Been sitting around the house for 3+ days. You only can read for so long. Follow up Monday. For those of you with more severe injuries or conditions that are preventing you from riding I apologize for my rant. I am bored to death
Old 09-21-18, 02:24 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by justtrying
I am getting more grumpier by the moment. Broke a bone in my foot. The Dr. said no cycling for at least 2 week probably longer. . Been sitting around the house for 3+ days. You only can read for so long. Follow up Monday. For those of you with more severe injuries or conditions that are preventing you from riding I apologize for my rant. I am bored to death
You wimps crying about how grumpy you're getting make me sick. Back in my day we had real grumps. Grumps who'd steal your ball if you hit it in their yard. Grumps who'd turn their hose on to flood the alley so the kids couldn't play there. Grumps that paid dearly, repeatedly, when we reached our semi-delinquent, vandalous, adolescence. Ahhhh, some of my most treasured memories are of the, ahem, pranks we tortured them with. Sigh........
Old 09-21-18, 02:40 PM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
You wimps crying about how grumpy you're getting make me sick. Back in my day we had real grumps. Grumps who'd steal your ball if you hit it in their yard. Grumps who'd turn their hose on to flood the alley so the kids couldn't play there. Grumps that paid dearly, repeatedly, when we reached our semi-delinquent, vandalous, adolescence. Ahhhh, some of my most treasured memories are of the, ahem, pranks we tortured them with. Sigh........
Lol, well you have reached the grumpy old man status. Hopefully some of the kids you are now dealing with are thinking of some pranks to pull on you for their treasured memories. Ah the circle of life.
Old 09-21-18, 05:02 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
And who raised the parent?
My wife was a single parent. I had no hand in raising her daughters. The daughter's BF is a total looser and has spent a goodly amount. of his adult life in the "big house". His mother was a drunk and a druggie and his father was absent. Neither one is any kind of a disciplinarian and if I try to correct them I never hear the end of it.
Jon
Old 09-21-18, 11:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
My wife was a single parent. I had no hand in raising her daughters. The daughter's BF is a total looser and has spent a goodly amount. of his adult life in the "big house". His mother was a drunk and a druggie and his father was absent. Neither one is any kind of a disciplinarian and if I try to correct them I never hear the end of it.
Jon
OK, then. Then again, you can still get to play some part in their "rehabilitation" if you so desire.
Originally Posted by justtrying

Lol, well you have reached the grumpy old man status. Hopefully some of the kids you are now dealing with are thinking of some pranks to pull on you for their treasured memories. Ah the circle of life.
Speaking of circle of life, grumpy for me is when you get upset at the younger generation for doing the same things you did when you were their age.

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-23-18 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 07:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Walmart needs a goon with a baseball bat enforcing the 20 items or less policy. 21 items too bad you are going to get it. Only exception is a case of beer with contains 24 cans but since it is contained in a cardboard box it is only one item. A bottle of vitamins containing 100 pills us still 100 items so get out of the line. Dang I’m bored
You wouldn't DARE mess up beer sales, would you?

Only if it's frou-frou brew.
Old 09-23-18, 07:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Jon
It has to be good loud music, not this jiggy crap they got now, of course.
Old 09-23-18, 08:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
True. Mostly all I see nowadays are the Zombies shambling through the parks and stores, staring with vacant eyes at the little slab throwing cold light onto the waxy skin of their slack faces. AKA, checking their facebook/whatever feeds, and tapping out messages.

Oh, and around here, the "12 items or less" aisles at Wallyworld have mostly disappeared, replaced by self checkout.
Oh no, I'm not bagging my own stuff, pay somebody, and minimum wage here is like $9+ hr and you can't have two party checks because they won't cover two parties anymore.

I came from a state where self-service gas was illegal until recently and I remember smelling like unleaded pumping it all day for people who were happy about it.
Old 10-31-18, 08:32 AM
2 Characters

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, this does not make you a grumpy old men. I'm relatively young (or so I consider myself) however I have been in a similar situation before and it just made me think... some people really have no filter and no concept of the fact that other people are around and may not necessarily want to hear whatever it is you're talking about. If you wouldn't say it to a colleague at work, don't shout it out at the top of your lungs in the supermarket. Simple as that, really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.