Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame Geometry vs. Handling Characteristics

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frame Geometry vs. Handling Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 09:00 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
If the BB is "forward", lower the seat a snudge, no big deal.
A lower and more aft saddle position changes the implications of a given saddle-to-handlebar position, by closing the thigh-to-torso angle.
Old 10-23-18, 10:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
A few weeks ago I test rode a very nice cargo bike. Front steering was with a linkage.

That thing was just all over the road. I just couldn't get it to track straight.

It felt like the wheel turned faster than the bars. And, it may have, I'm not sure. However, I finally determined that the issue was the thing had these big Texas Longhorn handlebars. And, for me, it is extremely rare to ride a bike that doesn't have drop bars. So, I've likely trained my muscles for drop bars.

So, with these longhorn bars... And a light load, I think I was just over-steering really badly. I've finally realized that I was probably getting too much leverage with the bars (for my riding).

I've started switching bikes & loads a bit on my own bikes. Within a hundred or so miles, I do get used to whatever bike I'm riding. And, I suppose returning to that bike is easier than the first time out.
Old 10-24-18, 07:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've started switching bikes & loads a bit on my own bikes. Within a hundred or so miles, I do get used to whatever bike I'm riding. And, I suppose returning to that bike is easier than the first time out.
Same here. And we're all sounding like experienced cyclists who have tried many bikes, and that's because we are. Weirdly, when I try a new bike, often the cranks feel like they're bent to me. The worst one was the Bianchi Volpe I had for a while. I don't know why. Maybe the Q factor was bigger. But eventually, that illusion went away.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-24-18, 09:18 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Same here. And we're all sounding like experienced cyclists who have tried many bikes, and that's because we are. Weirdly, when I try a new bike, often the cranks feel like they're bent to me. The worst one was the Bianchi Volpe I had for a while. I don't know why. Maybe the Q factor was bigger. But eventually, that illusion went away.
That's really weird. I thought the bent cranks thing was just me. So weird I've never felt comfortable saying anything about it. Worst case scenario - I'm as weird as noglider. I'm OK with that.

OK but it's worth mention that this yellow bike - the cranks have never felt funny. But the other two bikes I pictured here, yes, cranks felt bent. My old 3 speed - nope. I had an old MTB I gave my brother - nope. My old Schwinn Super Sport I sold - nope.
Old 10-24-18, 09:35 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by rhm
That triangle goes out the window when my butt comes off the saddle. That's the point. I need to move my hands around the handlebar so I don't settle into one position, and I need to get my butt off the saddle occasionally to restore circulation .a hill climb is the perfect excuse for that, but I have to do it now and then whether the hills or not.
I think I agree with this. For me, it's pretty easy to find a good seated position regardless of frame size/geometry, and I move around quite a bit. It's been harder for me to find/figure out a good out of saddle position. Maybe it's easier to adapt to the seated position since it comprises the majority of the ride time. I don't even have hills here to speak of so sometimes out of saddle happens on the flats, so pretty often after I've stopped at an intersection I'll stay out of saddle for a while after I get moving again. Circulation is a big deal, at least for me. An hour is a long time to spend on a bike without getting out of the saddle, IME.
Old 10-24-18, 10:27 AM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
A very nice explanation of bike geometry here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycl...cycle_geometry

The discussion on wheel flop and weight distribution changes is very on point.
Old 10-24-18, 10:52 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
.... Worst case scenario - I'm as weird as noglider. I'm OK with that....
Old 10-24-18, 11:02 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
...Imagine two riders who fit the same frame size, but one weighs 150 lbs, the other 225 lbs. If the lighter rider finds a frame to "plane," the other will find it noodly; if the heavier rider finds it "planes," the other rider will find it too stiff..
I think cadence has as much (or more) to do with planing than does rider weight. Actually, I don't think weight is the proper variable at all. A smaller rider may impart more force than a larger rider - although there does tend to be a correlation. The force vectors between pushes and pulls on the cranks, saddle and handlebars are what contribute to planing, so a strong rider who has a very smooth pedal stroke, and who doesn't create leverage forces on the bars to generate their power, is going to have less tendency to plane than a rider who has wide bars, holds them at the hoods or drops, and pulls on them with each pedal stroke. I also think that tire characteristics play a role in the planing phenomenon as well.

I don't have the scientific data to back these notions up, but my rudimentary familiarity with cycling and physics will leave me convinced until data from a properly constructed experiment can persuade me otherwise. I think Newton would be pleased with me.
Old 10-24-18, 11:04 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
...Weirdly, when I try a new bike, often the cranks feel like they're bent to me. ...
Last time that happened to me, the crankarm came off.
Old 10-24-18, 12:01 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Perhaps it should be pointed out that if by handling, we are talking about descending on twisty roads, then the CG is going to be all over the place. At least it will be if you are going fast and using good technique. Butt should be out of the saddle slightly. Shift weight rearward as you approach the apex of a turn, to maximize stopping power. Bike should be rocking beneath you; your legs and arms are the suspension. Weight may shift forward again if you jump out of the corner.

Perhaps a bit OT but I'm often shocked by the poor descending/handling skills I see these days. This is stuff that used to be learnt from other more experienced riders in your club/team.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 10-24-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 01:52 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

There is a difference in the way my two current bikes (72/71 and 73/73) track when riding out of saddle, you know, the bike is rocking left to right a little. They don't behave the same, but I can't quantify the difference at the moment. I'll have to pay attention to 73/73 on my ride home and take 72/71 for a spin this evening to check it out and report back.

And again - man, this discussion is great. Thank you all again so much.
Old 10-24-18, 04:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I've read a lot on the discussion, and I feel I still don't have a handle on all the parameters and how they make a bike feel. It's very interesting anyway.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-24-18, 04:10 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
To make comparisons you start by being accurate. I was about to say 650mm front center is beyond believable. Looking again at the photo maybe that yellow bike is that long. But if it is, and has the chainstays too we're headed for 43" of wheelbase. Wow. Both bikes are just really long.

Some measurements come out same reliably and other like front center and fork rake consistently produce odd numbers you have to check and check again.
Old 10-24-18, 04:21 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Ok, so 72/71 takes more effort to start the turn, like a combination of leaning and pushing on the bars, and unless I hold a little pressure on the bar, it wants to come OUT of the turn. If anybody else has ever flown an airplane, it’s a little like having to hold a little rudder through a banking turn, some planes will stay in a coordinated turn and others need a little attention. The 73/73 takes a light touch but mostly just leaning, it enters the turn more quickly and the “tightness” of the turn is controlled mostly by how I shift my weight, my hands don’t do really anything but keep the bars from jumping if I hit a bump or something. It stays turning until I right it.

Out of saddle on 72/71 is weird. I already said this, but rocking side to side is different. It’s harder to do it, like I have to put some effort into sort of turning the bars, whereas on 73/73 I can sort of just throw them back and forth, like dribbling a basketball almost. 72/71 just doesn’t do that, I have to keep a firm grip.

Another difference I noticed both seated and out of saddle is that 72/71 handles differently depending on speed, it sort of gets easier and more predictable the faster the bike is moving. 73/73 to me pretty much feels and handles the same at 10mph as at 20. Very predictable.
Old 10-24-18, 04:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

OK so if frame angles are what determine the difference, then your preference is for the steeper angles. But I'll bet you don't have anywhere close to identical bikes.

Old 10-24-18, 04:41 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

OK so if frame angles are what determine the difference, then your preference is for the steeper angles. But I'll bet you don't have anywhere close to identical bikes.
No, Tom, you’re absolutely right. They are quite different. I’m not 100% convinced it’s all due to the frame angles, either, it’s just an easy way to differentiate between the frames in this context by calling them by the geo.

Angles aside, I like the predictability of the handling of 73/73 while commuting. I place a high value on not having to dedicate a lot of attention to handling the bike. It’s nice that it’s easy and intuitive enough that it pretty much just goes where I want it to without any fuss at whatever speed.

There is probably some context where the 72/71 would perform nicely, but there’s just not enough variety in my riding to figure it out.

Someone a while back in this thread I think nodded to off road or cyclocross geometry. I have no appetite for either of those things, at least at this point in time.

Before I ultimately decide whether or not to give 72/71 the old heave ho, I might try a shorter stem just to see what happens. If it tightens up the handling enough, I may keep it around. It’d be a super candidate for a SS/FG conversion.
Old 10-24-18, 04:55 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I wonder if a longer stem on the 71/72 might be more in order. My Rivendell Clem is little unruly out of the saddle when I'm on the main grips on Albatross bars. If I climb with my hands in front of the brake levers, it's much more like my road bikes. The HTA is 71.5. Might be worth experimenting with longer and shorter stems.

The general steering differences described are typical.
Old 10-24-18, 05:01 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Try the shorter stem, even if it's just 1/2" shorter (British stems are spec'd in inches).

And use a slightly wider bar as well, which in my experience alleviates some of the out-of-saddle steering heave if the stem is still marginally too long for the headtube angle.

My 23" 1973 SuperCourse handles well with a 4-1/2" stem, forward saddle and 42cm handlebars. Good both in and out of the saddle, spirited club riding in the foothills.

No, it's not as lively as bikes with lighter weight, shorter wheelbase and steeper angles, but it handles well with no real issues other than my needing to exert some counter-steering effort to hold the inside line in heavy cornering situations.

Old 10-24-18, 05:13 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I wonder if a longer stem on the 71/72 might be more in order. My Rivendell Clem is little unruly out of the saddle when I'm on the main grips on Albatross bars. If I climb with my hands in front of the brake levers, it's much more like my road bikes. The HTA is 71.5. Might be worth experimenting with longer and shorter stems.

The general steering differences described are typical.
I’ve had a 130, 100, and a 90mm riser stem on 72/71. I have the stock 100mm on there now. I had to do a lot of stretching off the bike to use the 130, I’m too lazy for that LOL.

Do you mean general steering differences are typical for the frame angles or ... ?
Old 10-24-18, 05:15 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by dddd
Try the shorter stem, even if it's just 1/2" shorter (British stems are spec'd in inches).

And use a slightly wider bar as well, which in my experience alleviates some of the out-of-saddle steering heave if the stem is still marginally too long for the headtube angle.

My 23" 1973 SuperCourse handles well with a 4-1/2" stem, forward saddle and 42cm handlebars. Good both in and out of the saddle, spirited club riding in the foothills.

No, it's not as lively as bikes with lighter weight, shorter wheelbase and steeper angles, but it handles well with no real issues other than my needing to exert some counter-steering effort to hold the inside line in heavy cornering situations.

I was thinking about switching to an 80mm from the stock 100mm that’s on it now. The bar is currently a 44cm, a little too wide for me. I want to change it to a 40 I think but maybe a 42 would be OK.

Edit: also, your Super Course is delicious.

Edit 2: current bar is 42, not 44. So I think I’d go 40. I’ve ridden a 38 and it was a little narrow but OK.

Last edited by Phamilton; 10-24-18 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 05:37 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
A lower and more aft saddle position changes the implications of a given saddle-to-handlebar position, by closing the thigh-to-torso angle.
A couple of degrees? Yes, it is different, and maybe somewhat noticeable, but ride for 30 minutes, and it's all good.

I think the BB to handlebar position is where you feel it the most when riding out of the saddle. That takes more time for the body to adjust, but it does adjust.
Old 10-24-18, 05:48 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I try to get the same triangle, its corners being the seat, handlebar, and crank, on every bike. But the base of that triangle is the relationship between saddle and bottom bracket. Those two will have the same relative position as long as I'm on the saddle. Meanwhile, my hands will move around to different parts of the bar, so the position of the bar, and even it's shape, can vary.

That triangle goes out the window when my butt comes off the saddle. That's the point. I need to move my hands around the handlebar so I don't settle into one position, and I need to get my butt off the saddle occasionally to restore circulation .a hill climb is the perfect excuse for that, but I have to do it now and then whether the hills or not.

I can't say I pay much attention tot where the wheels fall, in relation to that triangle, I know it's important; that may even be the thing that defines the different between the two bikes I mentioned before; but I haven't managed to get control of it, even in theory.
You don't move your butt fore and aft on the saddle? No riding the rivet?

And you are unable to keep your hands in one place when out of the saddle? How long of a stretch do you ride out of the saddle?
Old 10-24-18, 06:19 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
You don't move your butt fore and aft on the saddle? No riding the rivet?

And you are unable to keep your hands in one place when out of the saddle? How long of a stretch do you ride out of the saddle?
Well, I'm still working on my riding style....

Yes, I think I do move around on the saddle; but I don't think I do that very much. At any rate i probably do most of pedaling from the same position, so I try to have the saddle in the most efficient location relative to the pedals. I assume if every bike has the saddle is in the same position relative to the pedals, I'll have the same range of motion around the saddle on each bike.

And I can't estimate how much time I spend out of the saddle. A year ago I would have said "almost none," but I'm learning the benefits of getting out of the saddle and am trying to make a habit of it. Last Saturday I did a ride on my old Fuji Finest on which I was forced to climb out of the saddle for a couple long stretches. It was hard work. Dunno, five or ten minutes? I'll see if I can figure it out from Strava, it's an interesting question.

At the end of May I did a grand brevet around the DC area and after four days my butt was very tender indeed. But on more recent rides I haven't had that problem; the main difference being a conscious effort to get out of the saddle.

With that, I've raised my lowest gear; having a very low gear allows me to sit and spin, but not having such a low gear forces me to stand up more.

As for my hands, I get wicked carpal tunnel pain if I don't move hands around a lot. I don't want there to be any especially comfortable hand position, because that would make me lazy. Hence no brifters for me....
Old 10-24-18, 06:53 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
In lieu of switching to an 8cm stem, perhaps first try riding off of the saddle with hands in different locations on the bars and lever hoods. This should clarify which direction that you might want to go with stem length, and if the steering "heaves" with hands in all three positions then I would investigate whether the headset is turning with zero resistance about center (holding bike off the ground and nudging the bars slowly with one finger).
Old 10-24-18, 08:11 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Different Angles, Different Ride

My favorite ride seems to be the one I was just on...
all are set up very similarity. And I've not been doing high speed technical descents. What I'm finding weird on my newest build is the toe overlap. It's a 93 Serotta Legend CR, and I have rubbed my toe twice, hard, at very slow speed, once doing a uturn, and creeping forward waiting for light to change. Probably has steeper angles and fork rake, than 70s/80s Italians or Ron Cooper. Going to have to change my turning and wobble radius or end up on my side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.