Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New wheel (very slightly) damaged -- worth saying something?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 12:51 AM
bicibici

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy! So I ordered a new front wheel through my LBS and picked it up this week (Sun CR18 w/Shimano HB-T3000 hub). I didn't give it a close look until I got home and was getting ready to put it on my bike, when I noticed there's a gouge out of one of the hub flanges, and also a few tiny chips/gouges on the rim as well. It's nothing major and it most certainly won't affect my ride, but I'm annoyed to have these defects on the brand new thing I just bought. Disclosure: In my many years of cycling this is actually the first brand new wheel I've ever bought! So someone please tell me: Is this acceptable/expected/pretty standard as far as quality control, or is it worth saying something about it? Am I being overly annoyed? Am I going to get eye-rolled out of my LBS if I take it back to them? Thanks for your thoughts!

[EDIT] I tried to include images, but apparently I'm not allowed to because I don't have enough posts yet :/
Old 07-26-19, 04:15 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
If the structural integrity seems compromised than most certainly yes say something. If the chips and gouges are small enough that you didn’t initially notice them than chances are they won’t be noticeable when mounted and rolling. Eventually more will follow from use.
Old 07-26-19, 06:10 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Always give things a close look in the shop when you pick them up. Visible nicks and gouges should be noted. If you paid for new, then it should look like new.
Since you have them at home already taking them back seems a tad suspicious IMHO. If they seem structurally sound, ride them for all that they are worth.
Old 07-26-19, 07:51 AM
bicibici

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Always give things a close look in the shop when you pick them up. Visible nicks and gouges should be noted. If you paid for new, then it should look like new.
Since you have them at home already taking them back seems a tad suspicious IMHO. If they seem structurally sound, ride them for all that they are worth.
THIS is what's irking me, since it's rare for me to buy something brand new. But I take your point that it would probably look suspect to take it back in at this stage. It's definitely sound, so I guess I'll get over it and go ride.

Lesson learned (or remembered... pretty sure I have "learned" this lesson before...). Thanks for the input!
Old 07-26-19, 08:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've got wheels that I've ridden gravel and road for thousands of miles that with a proper cleaning can still look nearly new. No such dings and gouges as you state for your new wheel.

Sounds to me like either the wheel is actually used OR someone dropped it on concrete or pavement before it got packaged.

Shoot, I've got a 1990's vintage HED trispoke wheel that still looks brand new.

I'd take it back. Don't mount tires on it yet. Just be nice about it.
Old 07-26-19, 01:15 PM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I'd show the damage to the shop where you bought the wheel. If they feel it's not safe to use I don't doubt they'd replace it for you. If you show it to them and they say go ahead and use it but it fails on you down the road, at least they'll have seen it and know you didn't do the damage yourself, and perhaps will compensate you, a discounted replacement or something.
Old 07-26-19, 01:50 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Bring it to the shop and see what they say. Not an expensive wheel, so a few eyes may roll, but don't let it bother you. If it were me, I'd simply ride it. Life is too short to obsess about it. Much bigger things to flood the mind with.
Old 07-27-19, 04:39 PM
bicibici

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Bring it to the shop and see what they say. Not an expensive wheel, so a few eyes may roll, but don't let it bother you. If it were me, I'd simply ride it. Life is too short to obsess about it. Much bigger things to flood the mind with.
Thanks, everyone. Since I'd already taken it home and set it up, I went with the above suggestion and told myself to quit feeling salty about it. Excellent reminder to be more attentive in the future, though.
Old 07-27-19, 06:43 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'd still feel salty about it. How could you not? Lesson learned(again). Be wary of that shop in the future...