Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cyclocomputer interference?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-09-05, 05:56 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Cateye CD300DW (wireless cadence+speed). I used to always use my Polar A5 HRM as well, but now I notice that the HRM goes crazy all the time during my ride and reports my HR as 230 bpm (which is impossible because I've never ever pushed it past 195).

Does anyone have the same issues? I'm suspecting the cyclocomputer is interfering with the watch somehow.
Old 07-09-05, 06:03 PM
MsMittens
Virtulized geek

Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have the same issues? I'm suspecting the cyclocomputer is interfering with the watch somehow.
Not sure but I gave up on my Cateye because of the amount of interference just riding around Toronto. I was getting discrepancies in regards to RPM and mileage (mileage varied from a loss of 1 - 15 KM).
Old 07-09-05, 06:19 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: '00 Jamis Dakar Sport LE: '05 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the CD300DW and a Polar M61 and zero interference issues. You're not going to like the sound of this, but I suspect the lack of a coded HRM transmitter/receiver is the difference. IOW, you may need new HRM.
Old 11-04-05, 05:25 AM
Bichufo

Bikes: JD Alum(56cm) Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a Polar S150 and a Cateye CC-CD3000W and have experienced the same problem. I started wearing the S-150 on my arm and It gave the same HR of 240. I almost had a heart attack looking at the figure! Yes, it seems like these two don't get along well. So what I did was put the Polar S-150 in a back pocket of my jersey and there it works OK. Also tried it strapped on my top tube but it just clanged along all the time so I took it off. But it is always the Polar S-150 that goes haywire, not the Cateye.
Old 11-04-05, 06:09 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be because your in contact with metal on the frame. Maybe touching a unwraped portion of the tops on your bars. Human bodies make great antenas. This would explaintt why it doesnt go bezerk on the bike frame or in your jersey pocket. Frame is painted and the jersey isnt putting the watch/hrm in direct contact with your body.

To test take a peice of clear packing tape and put it on the back of the hrrm and see if it stops going stupid on you.
Old 11-04-05, 06:21 AM
Eyeseeu
Vintage Punk, w/ Damage

Bikes: Giant OCR Limited, Planet-X Carbon TT, 70's Paris Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the Polar 710 for 3 years now and I had interference from the Cateye. I had tried to do both because the wireless on the Polar was so inconsistent and speed and cadence dropped out a lot.

So, being the technogeek that I am, I rewired my Polar Speed and Cadence sensors! They are now mounted on my aerobars and hardwired to contacts in the normal location. Since I have done that, there has been no drops from either one, they work perfectly. Basically you remove the reed switch from the Polar board, solder wires to both sides and run it down to a contact and magnet. I had to drill the case and reseal with Silicone but it is still waterproof.
Old 11-04-05, 11:31 AM
meme
Buddha Khan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyeseeu
So, being the technogeek that I am, I rewired my Polar Speed and Cadence sensors! They are now mounted on my aerobars and hardwired to contacts in the normal location. Since I have done that, there has been no drops from either one, they work perfectly. Basically you remove the reed switch from the Polar board, solder wires to both sides and run it down to a contact and magnet. I had to drill the case and reseal with Silicone but it is still waterproof.
...and the reason you bought wireless was...?
Old 11-04-05, 11:47 AM
Eyeseeu
Vintage Punk, w/ Damage

Bikes: Giant OCR Limited, Planet-X Carbon TT, 70's Paris Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meme
...and the reason you bought wireless was...?
Unfortunately Polar doesn't make hardwired and I wanted the ability to monitor HR, speed, cadence and altitude.
Old 11-04-05, 01:55 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
My Cateye cd300 goes crazy but only in a few locations and for a fairly short amount of time. I am assuming it is either powerline or maybe microwave interferance.