Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 09:57 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I keep it really simple. I use 3M Fastak trim adhesive. Put the tire on the rim. Inflate slightly. Remove a small section of tire and squirt the glue on the rim. Replace tire section. Work around the wheel in that manner. Inflate the tire. Center and adjust tire. Let dry for 45 minutes. Go ride.

I have noticed the Fastak is somewhat short lived. After a few months I reglue the tires. It kinda completely evaporates. But since my riding season is about three or four months, its a refresh in Spring kinda thing.
Old 07-31-19, 09:07 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I keep it really simple. I use 3M Fastak trim adhesive. Put the tire on the rim. Inflate slightly. Remove a small section of tire and squirt the glue on the rim. Replace tire section. Work around the wheel in that manner. Inflate the tire. Center and adjust tire. Let dry for 45 minutes. Go ride.

I have noticed the Fastak is somewhat short lived. After a few months I reglue the tires. It kinda completely evaporates. But since my riding season is about three or four months, its a refresh in Spring kinda thing.
I cannot find 3PM Fastak anywhere … do you guys mean yellow weatherstrip adhesive?

Fun fact - when I used to work on the stock car racing team, that's the stuff we used to glue the lug nuts to the rims with to make live pit stops faster. Same stuff they use at the highest levels of NASCAR.
Old 07-31-19, 09:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
I've said it before, that is one gorgeous bike!
Thank you, Eric. It's possible the back pain is caused by my position on the bike. Maybe the reach is longer than I'm used to. I've ridden the bike more since then, and I've gotten used to the tires again. It was an adjustment after riding 32mm clinchers at 50 psi.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-31-19, 10:05 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Tubular curious
Old 08-01-19, 11:07 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@daviddavieboy, you don't find the Sprinters to ride harshly? Perhaps my problem is either 1. I'm not used to narrow tires any more, or 2. my bike is the harsh thing. It could be both, primarily number 2.
Conti Sprinters ride harshly?
Was pumping my 22mm Sprinters yesterday, not paying attention much, when suddenly the eyes refocused on the pressure gauge - whoops 130psi. Let some air out to 115. Then I checked the sidewall and these Sprinters are rated to 12bar = 174psi. As are some other Conti models. So I assume the material/construction to be stronger/stiffer on Conti's, especially in the sidewall area.

Other brands (that I roll) max at 10bar - for a comparable tire width.
Old 08-01-19, 11:11 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Continentals don't impress me. The don't stretch well for mounting, and just never seem as supple as others like Vittoria.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-01-19, 02:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Thanks, @Wildwood. But just because the tire can take 12 bar doesn't mean it's a good pressure for me!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-01-19, 03:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Continentals don't impress me. The don't stretch well for mounting, and just never seem as supple as others like Vittoria.
Admittedly, my favorites are VeloFlex 25&28mm tires (Roubaix, Arenberg + Vlaanderen) and Spec Turbo 24mm.
My Conti experience is limited to 22mm Sprinters on 2 bikes and 23mm Giros on 1. The Giros were already mounted on a wheelset I purchased.

Totally agree they are less supple, but I haven't purchased Conti's more expensive models.

No experience with Vittoria's upper level tubies, only clincher. And I like the new G+ tire coupled with latex tubes VERY much - but only tested on 1 bike.

edit: The Schwalbe G1 tubie at 30mm is my off pavement roadie (also NOT supple), and their Racing Ralph has been on 2 of my bikes for 33mm knobbie needs.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-01-19 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 03:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by noglider
Thanks, @Wildwood. But just because the tire can take 12 bar doesn't mean it's a good pressure for me!
Understood!

Nor I, but the point is maybe the higher pressure would necessitate a stiffer sidewall??, thereby explaining the harsher ride.

For me, on a relatively smooth road 22mm pumped to 120psi makes for a FEELING of quicker accelerations + responsive handling + speed. I would probably not take 22/23s on a ride beyond 40-50mi, I have bikes/wheelsets with fatter for those occasions.
Old 08-02-19, 04:31 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
For me, on a relatively smooth road 22mm pumped to 120psi makes for a FEELING of quicker accelerations + responsive handling + speed. I would probably not take 22/23s on a ride beyond 40-50mi, I have bikes/wheelsets with fatter for those occasions.
When I'm doing a longer ride those quicker accelerations, responsive handling, and speed are exactly what I want (and I don't believe it is just "feel" since I know what cadences and gears I run).
Old 08-02-19, 06:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
I haven't been able to ride as much as I'd like this season. However yesterday I met up with three buddies from church and we drove to Burlington, VT to do the "Three Ferries Tour." It is a 40 mile jaunt around the northern end of Lake Champlain. Begins with an hour long ferry ride to Port Essex, NY, includes a ferry ride back to Grand Isle in VT, and the final leg is on a gravel/paved rail trail causeway across the Lake. The causeway includes a five or so minute ride on the Bike Ferry to cover the gap where a swing bridge once stood for the railroad.

Anyway--- they rode their modern 11 speed cassettes and compact cranks on carbon fiber Cannondales and a Trek--- with clinchers while I navigated and paced them on my '71 Paramount with classic looking Schwalbe One tubulars. I was grinding away with my nearly 50 year old five speed freewheel and Campagnolo Rally/Record transmission while they were SIS clicking or DI switching on their 105, Ultegra, and DuraAce magic marvels.

It was a fun ride and I carried in my classic handlebar bag the jar of dill pickles and juice to consume to ward off cramps. All the pickles and most of the juice was gone at the end of the ride

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 08-02-19, 10:05 AM
RVS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still are using tubulars
Old 08-02-19, 10:30 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by jimmuller
When I'm doing a longer ride those quicker accelerations, responsive handling, and speed are exactly what I want (and I don't believe it is just "feel" since I know what cadences and gears I run).
+100

But
Who gets 40+ miles on smooth pavement? At some point for me the 25/28mm cush from nice compliant tubular tires overtakes the need for speed. Not being a mileage man like yourself, that becomes about mile post 40 on my rides.

Life is Goood.
Ride On!
Old 08-02-19, 10:36 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I may need to get a pair of tubular wheels working again. It has been a long time since I've ridden them but they do ride nice.
Old 08-02-19, 12:08 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
My first experience with oversized tubulars has been pretty great. These are some Challenge Strada Bianca 700x30c mounted to Major Tom rims. I haven't taken them on a long ride yet, or over any rough stuff, but my commutes have gotten a lot faster. They're very fast and comfortable, even though I used too much glue on the front tire and didn't mount them perfectly the first try. They still aren't 100% aligned, but I can barely tell.

Old 08-02-19, 12:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by tiredhands
My first experience with oversized tubulars has been pretty great. These are some Challenge Strada Bianca 700x30c mounted to Major Tom rims. I haven't taken them on a long ride yet, or over any rough stuff, but my commutes have gotten a lot faster. They're very fast and comfortable, even though I used too much glue on the front tire and didn't mount them perfectly the first try. They still aren't 100% aligned, but I can barely tell.

You did take the proper precaution to minimize the ill effects of crooked tire mounting - the basket with stuff in it. (Crooked sewups only slow you down if you think about it. So ... they slow you down far less in back, less with fenders on. Hastily mount a spare because you are in a rough part of town and fear for your bike and welfare? That crooked tire won't slow you down at all! Just be careful on corners.)

A little shared wisdom from 70,000 miles of sewups.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-02-19, 01:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
If I wanted to tape a pair of tubulars to a pair of rims that had previously had tires glued to them, presumably I'd need to remove all the old glue first, right? But if I were to simply re-glue them, do I need to remove the old glue?

I've taped but never glued tubulars. Think I'd like to stick with the tape. What say all of you?

I'm thinking of designating one bike a tubular bike, so will perhaps be getting back into tubulars on a small scale. Want to do it right.

DD
Old 08-02-19, 02:06 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
If I wanted to tape a pair of tubulars to a pair of rims that had previously had tires glued to them, presumably I'd need to remove all the old glue first, right? But if I were to simply re-glue them, do I need to remove the old glue?

I've taped but never glued tubulars. Think I'd like to stick with the tape. What say all of you?

I'm thinking of designating one bike a tubular bike, so will perhaps be getting back into tubulars on a small scale. Want to do it right.

DD
FWIW brass brush on a drill gets rid of glue quickly

Old 08-02-19, 02:11 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Tubular curious
I am still really a newbie but what I have learned is

Gluing is not really that big of a deal Taping is easy but not order of magnitudes easier than gluing

the ride is worth it....even tires that have a rep for being not as smooth as other tubuies are still smoother than the equal clincher

At risk of jinxing my self, i have been lucky and not had flats....but my mileage is low

all in all going tubie seems about 1000% less hassle than going tubeless

Old 08-02-19, 02:24 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I used the wire-brush attachment on my angle grinder. Just held it in place with one hand and rotated the wheel in the truing stand in the other. Took the old glue of in maybe 4mins

I am the son of a welder and I have learned the acetelene torch and angle grinder are two tools who are undefeated!
Old 08-02-19, 02:28 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

DD
See my quote above - I have used my angle grinder with a wire brush wheel - works great although I would see why some would caution against using such a tool on nice rims. I am pretty steady with it but would be easy to possibly do some damage. Bonus - if you use the angle grinder/wire brush attachment you can probably skip the sanding stage prior to gluing! +1 to Squirtdad's tape vs. glue question. I have never glued before this pair and it can get messy but not rocket science. Watch some videos. You'll be fine. Hardest part is centering, although I have heard if they're not perfectly centered that's fine, I just have no corroborating evidence for this.
Old 08-02-19, 03:56 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by davei1980
See my quote above - I have used my angle grinder with a wire brush wheel - works great although I would see why some would caution against using such a tool on nice rims. I am pretty steady with it but would be easy to possibly do some damage. Bonus - if you use the angle grinder/wire brush attachment you can probably skip the sanding stage prior to gluing! +1 to Squirtdad's tape vs. glue question. I have never glued before this pair and it can get messy but not rocket science. Watch some videos. You'll be fine. Hardest part is centering, although I have heard if they're not perfectly centered that's fine, I just have no corroborating evidence for this.
Since I have a lot of Dremel experience (!) I will try a wire brush attachment on it and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion!

The tape job I did recently for another Forum member was easy-peasy. Made it super-simple to locate the tire exactly where we wanted it, then you just pull the protective tape off and you're all set. Bob Freeman says tape holds much better, too - tho that can be a bit of a hassle when getting a tub off, I suppose.

DD
Old 08-02-19, 03:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Thanks, I'll give that a shot with the Dremel.

DD
Old 08-02-19, 04:02 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Since I have a lot of Dremel experience (!) I will try a wire brush attachment on it and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion!

The tape job I did recently for another Forum member was easy-peasy. Made it super-simple to locate the tire exactly where we wanted it, then you just pull the protective tape off and you're all set. Bob Freeman says tape holds much better, too - tho that can be a bit of a hassle when getting a tub off, I suppose.

DD
I like it! maybe I'll try tape next time!
Old 08-02-19, 04:16 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by davei1980
brass brush....not steel very important

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.