Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Riis is the real **** **** in this case

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 12:45 PM
cazzooo

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All you americans care about is Armstrong. Ivan Basso is clean yet slandered. And his coach won't defend him.
Old 06-30-06, 12:59 PM
Ant

Bikes: Trek 1200 : Trek 3700

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you know he's clean though?
Old 06-30-06, 01:02 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
they have no choice. the pro-tour teams all signed an agreement that riders will not be allowed to compete while an investigation is going on. riis has very little say in all this.
Old 06-30-06, 01:03 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Slandered? Certainly. At least at this point. I love the guy and figured the battle between he and Jan would be epic. Clean? Well, I presume innocence, yet, one would have to figure that if the Spanish get this wrong it will cost them many millions of dollars. My guess is that they have been very careful about this. Bjarne is doing all he can. After all, he has to keep sponsors going.

All us Americans caring about Armstrong? Cannot agree with you there. At least, as an American, knowing my opinion as well as the definition of "all," I will have to say with certainty that you are wrong.
Old 06-30-06, 01:08 PM
fruitless
In Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cazzooo
All you americans care about is Armstrong. Ivan Basso is clean yet slandered. And his coach won't defend him.

https://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAFA.html
Old 06-30-06, 01:13 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am American and love The Asassin, I also love The Kaiser, so keep your sweeping generallities. I want to see them race not sitting in a court room. Why cant these idiotic govening bodies get their s**t together and regulate their sport? Cheap bastards and petty pollitics.
Old 06-30-06, 01:20 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Riis is running scared because his lies are coming to a head and he could very well lose CSC and get sued for his actions, along with Basso.

Basso is f-ing guilty. The evidence is so overwhelming that news stories are coming out every hour. What's worse is that Riis is attempting to distance himself. Basso "excelled" when he came to CSC-they spend days, weeks together, does Riis expect us to believe he has no idea that Basso doped? PLEASE. That's as stupid as believing Armstrong beat Ullrich and Basso clean.
The whole protour is a mess.

As of 3pm, Vinokourov is out of the TDF, many, many more to come.

Old 06-30-06, 02:02 PM
LA_Rider

Bikes: Cannondale R5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basso should have gone to Disco when he had the chance. They seem to hide drugs better than CSC - at least so far...
Old 06-30-06, 02:27 PM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We haven't seen the evidence. They have. I don't think the team directors would pull the Tour favorites without a fight unless the evidence they've been given is pretty clear. The teams want a Tour win about as much as the riders do.

SB
Old 06-30-06, 03:53 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They all signed last year.
Old 06-30-06, 04:01 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Americans?

With the exception of Valverde--the remaining group of favorites seem to consist primarily of Americans
06 NYCbikes Single Speed (John Deere Special)
Old 06-30-06, 04:10 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Riis is running scared because his lies are coming to a head and he could very well lose CSC and get sued for his actions, along with Basso.

Basso is f-ing guilty. The evidence is so overwhelming that news stories are coming out every hour. What's worse is that Riis is attempting to distance himself. Basso "excelled" when he came to CSC-they spend days, weeks together, does Riis expect us to believe he has no idea that Basso doped? PLEASE. That's as stupid as believing Armstrong beat Ullrich and Basso clean.

+1

As if the teams didn't know what the riders were using. They also know they got caught and that it's better to pull them now rather than to have to deal with this post-tour.
Old 06-30-06, 07:04 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think everyone cheats..I think Armstrong probably cheated too. That's my opinion...

I'm just pissed because the riders got caught and now we, the spectators can't watch what would have been the best, most wide open tour in recent history... even "non listed" riders who would have done well in the GC are affected, or can't race because of this whole mess...

Guess I'm selfish...lol
Old 06-30-06, 07:35 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Note that T-Mobile suspended Ullrich before CSC suspended Basso. So it's not as if Riis was jumping the gun. (On the other hand, T-Mobile's cycling director - the equivalent of Riis - was suspended as well, so the cases aren't fully comparable.)
Old 06-30-06, 07:51 PM
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless

Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay

+1

I think Riis looks really stupid right about now. Either A) He has no idea what his riders are doing and is therefore a pretty poor manager or B) He's lying. I can't think of another way to look at it.
Old 06-30-06, 09:55 PM
shabbasuraj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riis punked Ivan.

Period.
Old 07-01-06, 07:06 AM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LA_Rider
Basso should have gone to Disco when he had the chance. They seem to hide drugs better than CSC - at least so far...
OOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-06, 03:36 PM
jkoman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trev Doyle
OOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true it seems to have hurt Doyle....Winners are a combination of best rider/doctor/team/cover-up of drug use/team director.

I know there are some clean riders....am losing ability to believe clean winners

LA had his blood test positive for EPO...just because there was no back up sample saved for 8 years to meet the requirements necessary to boot him out doesn't mean the test is false

When all these riders pass the tests and then are shown to have cheated it kinda eliminates the ..." I never tested positive " defense.

Any of these riders could have provided blood to prove it wasn't theirs that was at the good ole doctors office and stayed in the TDF....they chose not to
Old 07-01-06, 04:03 PM
countryrider
in the middle of nowhere

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance enhancing substances will always be used in sport. It's difficult not to cheat when everyone else does. They kept McGwire and Casenco hitting homeruns, it kept Bill Romanowski laying the wood to people on the football field, and it's kept pro riders winning. In this age, where technology has as much to do with success as natural ability, it is only a matter of time before performance enhancers become as natural to the athlete as running the track, lifting weights, or staying on your bike for 6 hours a day. Those who are great are great, but they just become greater when that extra element is added in. I can't say I like doping, I hate it. I have never taken supplements like Creatine or bothered with performance enhancers, but they are becoming so much a part of sport, it is soon going to be impossible to distinguish those who are natural and those who aren't. In fact, soon, there will be no such thing as natural in professional sports, and it move its way down the amateur ranks until you have high school athletes doping. They probably do already, just not on a wide scale. Unfortunately, I see no control or end to this, only an evolution. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing pro groups including cycling, accepting some forms and not others, and instead of banning it, embracing it, but in small doses. At least out in public, behind closed doors, well that's another story.
Old 07-01-06, 04:19 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
All I know is that I've never seen anyone who "looked so much like he was lying" as Riis, during an interview........

These guys obviously need cycling -- they could never sell used cars...........
Old 07-02-06, 09:14 AM
Katrogen
Team BYRDS

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countryrider
Performance enhancing substances will always be used in sport. It's difficult not to cheat when everyone else does. They kept McGwire and Casenco hitting homeruns, it kept Bill Romanowski laying the wood to people on the football field, and it's kept pro riders winning. In this age, where technology has as much to do with success as natural ability, it is only a matter of time before performance enhancers become as natural to the athlete as running the track, lifting weights, or staying on your bike for 6 hours a day. Those who are great are great, but they just become greater when that extra element is added in. I can't say I like doping, I hate it. I have never taken supplements like Creatine or bothered with performance enhancers, but they are becoming so much a part of sport, it is soon going to be impossible to distinguish those who are natural and those who aren't. In fact, soon, there will be no such thing as natural in professional sports, and it move its way down the amateur ranks until you have high school athletes doping. They probably do already, just not on a wide scale. Unfortunately, I see no control or end to this, only an evolution. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing pro groups including cycling, accepting some forms and not others, and instead of banning it, embracing it, but in small doses. At least out in public, behind closed doors, well that's another story.
You are quite correct. Good people but bad habits. Wish I could tell them myself but it isn't my business nor wish to lose riding friends.