Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I really NEED clipless pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 06:17 PM
RacinGator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Santa just brought me a KHS Flite 300. While it's not a super duper top-of-the-line bike, I absolutely love it. It came with toe-clip pedals,and I already know that they are a pain. I ride about 100 miles a week, and I'm trying to find out is there any need to go out and buy shoes and clipless pedals for the riding I do. I ride on a local bike trail, and on the roads in and around Atlanta. Nothing too difficult, but a moderate pace. I thought about the Power Grip straps for platform pedals, any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 01-06-04, 06:27 PM
SamDaBikinMan
Crank Crushing Redneck

Bikes: Bikes are environmentally damaging

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your efficiencey with clipless pedals will be much better.

I'd do it. As a matter of fact if you decide to use shimano SPD pedals PM me and I can hook you up with a new set really cheap. New ones that came on a recent bike that I will never use since I ride egg beaters.

Since I too live in the Atlanta area we could just hook up for a ride. I am in Conyers and ride at Stone mountain, silver comet, Yellow river, Horse park, Chicopee trails, Blankets creek, Dausett, Oxford, Heritage park, etc... just name a place you like to ride.
Old 01-06-04, 06:30 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I have SPD's on my touring bike, Looks' on my road bike, and Power grips on my hybrid. The touring bike came with traditional toe clips.I hate them..Power grips are ok..Get some traction...Better than toe clips.
Once you get used to riding clipless, you will not go back. The thing about power in the upstroke is no lie. Actually I feel it is easier to get out of SPD's and Looks over the power grips...Just an easy twist and you are out..No wiggling..
Power transfer. No comparsion to clipless. ANother feature I notice...I feel more secure to stand on clipless...Platforms, Iwould never, never stand. Do not feel secure. Clipless, I do..Standing is important...Gives your rear some relief and can apply power better on a really steep grade.
As to toe clips. I find them a total pain..plus, they ruin your shoes.Too bad you could not just try them on for size..
But then, it is true you need to get used to them..You will have problems getting the hang of them and always remember that you are clipped in......But with time, you will... ps- and congratulations...that is a nice bike...
Old 01-06-04, 06:30 PM
TrekRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinGator
Santa just brought me a KHS Flite 300. While it's not a super duper top-of-the-line bike, I absolutely love it. It came with toe-clip pedals,and I already know that they are a pain. I ride about 100 miles a week, and I'm trying to find out is there any need to go out and buy shoes and clipless pedals for the riding I do. I ride on a local bike trail, and on the roads in and around Atlanta. Nothing too difficult, but a moderate pace. I thought about the Power Grip straps for platform pedals, any suggestions would be appreciated
Sam is 100% correct. My cheap-o bike came with platform pedals, which would be fine for riding around the block. I didn't want to go to clipless on a cheap-o, so I went with clips and straps. The increase in effiency was fantastic. If, when I get my new bike and put on my 2004 Dura-Ace pedals I got for Christmas, the efficiency increases a like amount, I will make those hills I ride look like the flats.

So, I would advise taking Sam up on his offer. You won't find a better deal.
Old 01-06-04, 07:27 PM
~LongRider~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Three words:

Yes you do.
Old 01-06-04, 07:50 PM
RacinGator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sam,
I don't know if you got my PM or not, e-mail me about the pedals.
Old 01-06-04, 07:57 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinGator
I'm trying to find out is there any need to go out and buy shoes and clipless pedals for the riding I do.
Do it - you will not regret it!
Old 01-06-04, 08:01 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bac
Do it - you will not regret it!
Really,he's right.You will find that its so much better,you'll ride more.
Old 01-06-04, 08:03 PM
travis200
OTB is imminent

Bikes: '06 Trek 5.2, '06 Lemond Poprad, '06 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go clipless you will be happier once you learn how to clip in and out.
Old 01-06-04, 08:58 PM
bman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My switch to clipless was one of the best things I ever did to my road bike. I went with Speedplay X series and I've been super happy!
Old 01-06-04, 11:21 PM
tommasini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep, you do...aside from greater efficiency, etc. the major benefit is that you are more "one with the bike", which makes riding that much more enjoyable. If you go with SPD type or something similar there is really no downside as you can still walk easily...though if you are like most people you will manage to not release in time and fall at least a few times while getting used to the pedals and there will ALWAYS be an audience for these moments.
Old 01-06-04, 11:51 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tommasini
...though if you are like most people you will manage to not release in time and fall at least a few times while getting used to the pedals and there will ALWAYS be an audience for these moments.
I can only confirm that one. I started using clipless yesterday and was happy to come back from my first ride without going horizontal. I guess I was too confident today. Just starting my ride from a high school parking lot I engaged my right foot, launched the bike a bit uphill, but not fast enough, and found myself at a standstill while trying to engage the left foot. I was, of course, leaning to the right side and didn't find a quick enough reflex to disengage from the right pedal. The fall was slow, I didn't fight it and it didn't hurt. Just the embarassement ... Good thing I wasn't at my daughter's high school.
Except for this incident I really like clipless. You really feel the efficiency of the upstroke motion.
I am using Look pedals with a rather wide float angle. I found out it's more difficult to disengage from a pedal if the cleats are pointed too much towards the outside of the foot as a wider ankle movement is needed to get off. If your pedals have a lot of float make sure the cleats are either centered or pointed a bit inward. It should help.
That's my experience so far, it's not extensive but if it can help you avoid some embarrassement...
Old 01-07-04, 06:43 AM
Al.canoe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless has a lot of advantages, but they do trap your feet and cause falls under certain situations. You can eliminate that problem by using the Sh-55 multi-release cleat instead of the SH-51's that come with the pedals. They will release with those instinctive "knee jerks" that one does when he's falling to the side and the foot is already too low to the ground to release the SH-51's. The downside is that you have to go out and buy them and the new line of the more expensive Shimano ATB pedals are not compatible with them. I bought a spare set of M-536 pedals to back up the pairs I just bought for both my road and mountain bikes. They've been out of production for a while, but are still available on the WEB. My favorite pedal so far. They effortlessly clip in and out and they have decent mud clearing capability.

Al
Old 01-07-04, 07:16 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Im going to speak up for toe clips. For my riding, which is fairly low intensity, short-med distance riding, in normal clothes, they work just fine.
Toe clips provide enough security so I can tackle potholes and curbs without slipping off the pedals, and enough efficiency to make riding easier than platforms.
When used lose, with the right shoes, your feet go in and out without any effort. I can remove my feet DURING a slip on wet grass or ice.

I dont need to dress up to ride. I can ride to the pub or movies without wearing special shoes.

Clipless pedals have not made clips obscelete, but they have replaced clips for all sporting use.
Old 01-07-04, 08:24 AM
wlevey

Bikes: Bike 1 - Bianchi 928, Easton carbon stem, bar & seat post, Ultegra 11/23 cassette. Bike 2 - 03 Lemond Buenos Aries. FSA compact crank, Sella Italia FSK sadle and Ultegra 12/27 cassette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By now you know the answer is YES!

Better power transfer and far more efficent use of your muscles!!

Now all you need to do is decide on what to use! I use SPD and am happy with them. It takes some practice clipping in and out, but after a while you will get the hang of it. Set the tension to very easy (turn allen screws counter clockwise) at first. That way you won't get caught in them when you stop!!! Also, get the SILVER cleats!! They are easier to get in and out of than the black ones.

Good luck...Bill
Old 01-07-04, 08:53 AM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many people say: "Once you go clipless, you'll never go back." Well - anyone want to buy a pair of spd shoes? I didn't care for it at all... I like toe clips - and want to try power grips maybe... but I plan on just throwing some toe clips on some nice BIG BMX platform pedals - I like my pedals BIG with lots of surface area for my feet... every clipless I've tried has for one thing just been too small. So this is one person who went clipless and came back. Further, since I commute and casual ride... I prefer my everyday shoes to having to switch shoes... I tried recessed cleats... but its still awkward...

Regular shoes, big pedals and toe clips/power grips...
Old 01-07-04, 11:56 AM
Random
Tour DAY France

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just so you know, you will fall over at least once, but you’ll never go back.
Old 01-07-04, 01:47 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to do any serious riding at all on your road bike, I strongly recommend you get clipless pedals.

It might difficult at first (like the first ride!) but you'll be wondering why you even questioned whether or not you need them after a week They're THAT good.
Old 01-07-04, 02:02 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
If you are doing 100 miles a week get the clipless, if you are riding to the pub keep the toe clips. I have the original toe clip set that came w/ my touring bike circa 1983 but I will not ever put them on again? Toe clips serve a good purpose for to the pup rides and perhaps vintage racers but thats it imho.
Old 01-07-04, 08:53 PM
RacinGator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I will definitely try the clipless pedals. If I don't like them I can always go back I guess.