Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My New Rain Gear is a success!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 09:03 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts

People are always looking for rain gear suggestions. I just sunk a load of cash on new rain gear and thought it might be useful to those of you who wish to cash in the retirement plan and buy rain jackets and pants.

Here's my stuff:

Shower's Pass Jacket

and

Gore-Tex Rain Pants

I've never spent this much on any articles of clothing. I'm wearing this stuff to the next wedding I'm invited to since it's my most expensive suit.

Gotta say after riding in a few intense rain storms since purchasing them I'm amazed at how dry I am when I get to work or get home. Works like a charm.
Old 03-23-10, 09:39 PM
wak9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about options for riding in the rain that don't cost $200 a piece? My track pants are water-resistant and better than most but I still arrive drenched through them, my jeans and underwear.

thanx!
Old 03-23-10, 09:55 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, but what do you do when it's only raining on the ride home?

Do you carry the gear back and forth every day?
Old 03-24-10, 02:01 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well if we have a spring like we did last year that investment is well worth it but with any luck because you laid out all that cash you bought us all a whole bunch of sunny days and I for 1 tip my hat and say thank you. Anyone that was in New England last year completely gets this
Old 03-24-10, 02:37 AM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wak9 - Campmor has a rain cape for $30. That and a pair of fenders will keep you dry - during a really heavy rain, your knees might get a bit damp, but definitely not drenched. (Actually, this happens to me probably because I have a pedal-forward cruiser, and I'm damn tall. If you are of a more usual size, and ride a more usual bike, the rain-cape will probably make you completely impervious to the elements.)
Old 03-24-10, 04:38 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, my rain gear (https://www.rainshield.com/, items 1010 and 1060) is comfortable when it's raining and 34 F out. I'm afraid it won't be comfortable at 70 F, since it doesn't ventilate well. I need to get one of those rain capes eventually, as that looks like what I need in the summer when I'm trying to arrive somewhere and still be dry and dressed in dry clothes.
Old 03-24-10, 05:42 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a great rainsuit that is completely waterproof... problem is it's from both the inside and out. I have yet to find a rain jacket that breathes well enough that I don't overheat while riding and I've tried all manner of Gore-Tex-like breathable fabrics.
Old 03-24-10, 08:08 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
Yeah, but what do you do when it's only raining on the ride home?

Do you carry the gear back and forth every day?
yep. except when I've watched the weather radar and there is no chance of rain that day. In total the jacket and pants probably weigh less than a pound and are very packable- especially the pants, which fold into their own back pocket.

Originally Posted by wak9
What about options for riding in the rain that don't cost $200 a piece? My track pants are water-resistant and better than most but I still arrive drenched through them, my jeans and underwear.

thanx!
I've used cheap rain gear for years- I really resist spending this kind of money on something like this. But basically the waterproof nature of the lesser priced products was extremely unreliable and I ended up soaked a lot of times despite rain jacket and pants.

Originally Posted by RI_Swamp_Yankee
wak9 - Campmor has a rain cape for $30. That and a pair of fenders will keep you dry - during a really heavy rain, your knees might get a bit damp, but definitely not drenched. (Actually, this happens to me probably because I have a pedal-forward cruiser, and I'm damn tall. If you are of a more usual size, and ride a more usual bike, the rain-cape will probably make you completely impervious to the elements.)
I've used bike rain capes in the past and they're okay but frankly I find that they're problematic in the wind and on rides longer than 15 minutes or so. My commute is a little more than 10 miles each way and I've found them to also be unreliable. And I'm tall ( 6"3") and the cape does very little, even with fenders, for the lower body in a downpour.
Old 03-24-10, 08:44 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great for you they work as advertised. I love my Burley W/B jacket and my REI Taku pants.
Got both of them on a sale the pants were marked down to 54.00 last year and I got jacket as a closeout 3 years ago when Burley stopped making clothing
Old 03-24-10, 09:19 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Great for you they work as advertised. I love my Burley W/B jacket and my REI Taku pants.
Got both of them on a sale the pants were marked down to 54.00 last year and I got jacket as a closeout 3 years ago when Burley stopped making clothing
+1 on the Taku pant. I got mine on sale as well and they are great for cycling. 2 winters and no signs of wear. They are well vented, and are totally wind and rain proof.
Old 03-24-10, 10:07 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As much as I like the Taku pants REI really dropped the ball this year by not making the Headwinds pants and jacket. Great windproof and water resistant I've used them alone with temps in the mid 20's and they are fabulous. Wind does not penetrate these pants.I wanted the jacket but alas REI knows how to sell higher end stuff by not making good stuff that cost less available no longer.
Old 03-24-10, 10:43 AM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wak9

thanx!
I use a Marmot Mica jacket and Marmot PreCip pants. You can find them discounted at Dick's Sporting Goods sometimes. They're not cycling-specific, but they work pretty well and pack up nice and small for carrying. I suggest looking for the full-leg zipper pants if you have big feet, otherwise you'll have trouble getting the pants on without taking your shoes off.
Old 03-24-10, 04:51 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Summer here is just a damned if you do damned if you don't. It is so hot an humid that rain gear may stop the rain but you will still be soaked with sweat. If I cam make it in without rain and its under 40% chaince in the forcast then I just tough it out. Spring is a crap shoot. When it rains here...It is typically a thunder storm. Twice last year there were lightning caused fires within 1000 ft of my route home. I just don't ride in a thunderstorm.
Old 03-24-10, 04:58 PM
starseeka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got an pair of military surplus rain pants for about 80 bucks at a surplus store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...lothing_System

I don't know what generation they are, but they're made of Gore-Tex.

They're designed to be used with separate thermal layers for warmth, so they work great by themselves in the warm California winters.
Old 03-24-10, 05:48 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck with that!
Originally Posted by buzzman

I've never spent this much on any articles of clothing. I'm wearing this stuff to the next wedding I'm invited to since it's my most expensive suit.

Gotta say after riding in a few intense rain storms since purchasing them I'm amazed at how dry I am when I get to work or get home. Works like a charm.
Old 03-24-10, 07:55 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Rainlegs. They're great.

https://www.wallbike.com/oddsnends/rainlegs.html
Old 03-24-10, 08:38 PM
wak9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Taku pant or the rainshield 3flow pant (9060). For the jacket I'm leaning toward the rainshield 1111 or 1010. I might get the 02 rainwear pants instead of the other ones I mentioned because it specifically says its designed to fit over gear.

Whats the best option for me? I commute by bike in all weather, which here in Toronto means snow and heavy rain as well. I need the rain gear to fit over jeans and a sweatshirt...but not too bulky to be ridiculous when its warm enough to be in shorts and tshirts if not for the rain. Does this mean I need two sets of rain gear? I'm skinny/athletic and am under 6' tall. I wear a backpack that holds my laptop and other stuff. (I'm also in the market for a new biker-friendly backpack that can expand to accommodate some groceries.)

Thanx for all the help so far!

Last edited by wak9; 03-24-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 09:09 PM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it helps, I was too =cold= during a recent nor'easter wearing a raincape, where the one before, I was baked alive inside a "breatheable" rainsuit. This week it rained for three days straight. I wore a rain cape, a polartec fleece hoodie, and some knee-high gaiters, save for one day. The day I forgot the gaiters, my knees and inside shins were =slightly= damp. Less damp than they would be if sweat-soaked by the rain-pants. When I combined the gaiters + cape, I was deadly dry, if a bit too cool.

Serious. I was looking for this answer all winter long... high performance expedition jackets (worthless), work jackets in untreated cotton duck (also worthless), breatheable-brand-name-fabric-rain-suit (worse than useless) - the answer was "Rain Cape, back end clipped to a belt loop rather than the elastic leg-bands."
Old 03-24-10, 09:51 PM
wak9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found the pants for $49.95 here:
RAINSHIELD 02 3FLOW PERFORMANCE SERIES PANTS
https://www.ebikestop.com/o2_rainwear..._sm-AB0105.php

...and the jacket over here for $69.95:

RAINSHIELD O2 3FLOW PERFORMANCE SERIES JACKET
https://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDeta...inwear91119011

I messaged gottaridebikes.com to see if they'll honor their pricematch policy. If they do AND I can apply the 15% discount code for new customers then I'll order right away.

Isn't that a good deal.
Old 03-24-10, 10:51 PM
wak9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update: they will price match OR offer the 15% discount code, can't use both.
Old 03-25-10, 04:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
you ride enough and so you certainly can justify the expense. you never regret buying quality. I was really glad to get a cycling specific rain jacket myself.
Old 03-25-10, 06:17 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still trying to sell a new never worn pair of Showers Pass W/B rainpants (not e-vent) I tried them on and they don't fit. Got them last year. If anyone is interested send me a PM. I'll pay the shipping. they are really nice and as I said never worn outside of the house. I'm short and they are long. You will need to be a pretty slender guy or gal to wear them as the supposedly 34" waist is too small for me.
Old 03-25-10, 09:04 AM
wak9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just placed my order...too bad its going to rain before I get it too.
Old 03-25-10, 07:13 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not in my size, sadly :-(

back to llbean to see what they have...LBSes seem to cater to the zero-pct-body-fat crowd
Old 03-25-10, 08:11 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
J+G stuff is sized for us not so skinny types or at least those of us that may be a little wider than we are tall. Its a royal pain to find pants of any kind on a 29" inseam and a 33" to 36" waist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.