Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring South East Texas?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 11:13 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm checking to see what's between say Beaumont and the DFW area that'd make for a good 4-5 day solo tour. Anybody got must sees or must miss-es from that area?
Old 05-13-13, 02:54 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old, historical stuff in Nacogdoches and trains in Rusk. Lots of pine forest. Nothing really of note 'cept the people to be met along the way and the usual surprise or two.

FWIW, highway 21 from Alto to Nacogdoches is the worse experience cycling a highway I've ever had. No shoulder and lots of traffic, including ore trucks hurdling by. This was several years ago. Not recommended unless a shoulder has been added.

I've never ridden south of Nac.
Old 05-13-13, 09:21 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I would suggest looking at US69 and US175 as a route. The Big Thicket is an interesting area to explore. The Lufkin Zoo is special for a town that size. Rusk has the train Cyclebum mentioned. Jacksonville has great scenic overlooks. Athens has many attractions. When you ride through Seagoville look for the Federal Prison along US175.
Old 05-22-13, 09:00 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That gives me something to work with. Thanks, folks.

This trip may morph into a Texas Revolution tour starting near Houston and including, San Jacinto, Goliad, Gonzalez, Washington on the Brazos and whatever other sites I can work in that I haven't already seen.

Still, I've only ever been to Nacogdoches once and spent no time in the area, so Rusk and Athens and Lufkin sound neat, too.

edit* I accidentally a letter.