Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

20 more lbs to go

Old 10-25-13, 11:21 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
20 more lbs to go

I'm looking at the mirror and I think I can lose about 20 more lbs. Any more of that and I think I'd be too low. My wife already thinks I'm low enough but it's more that she is used to seeing me heavy. If I lost 20lbs more I'll still be a clyde though just by 10lbs (210).

However..... as I get closer I may reevaluate and see that I can get below 200lbs. I don't want to do that for a number goal but only if that is what a healthier body dictates.
Old 10-25-13, 12:09 PM
ckFoxTrot

Bikes: Scwinn 754; CAAD 8 5 (61cm)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take it you must have lost a decent amount of weight so far by your statements, which is great! You'll probably shed that next 20lbs before you know it.

How much have you lost so far? Also, how tall are you? Height gives a starting point for determining a healthy weight range (though it really depends on a number of factors). It might be worth measuring and tracking your body fat (not BMI) along your weight loss journey, if you haven't been doing so already. Most importantly, get to where you are healthy (re: fitness) and happy! Good luck!
Old 10-25-13, 12:34 PM
WonderMonkey

Thanks! I started at 300lbs (scale only goes that high but it wasn't much more) at Thanksgiving of 2013. I've lost 70-75lbs so far. I am 6' 2".

I could lose it faster if I wanted to but my goal was to embark upon a sustainable trend towards better health so I didn't want to force anything and then lose focus.
Old 10-25-13, 12:36 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Way to go, keep setting goals for yourself! Ride another 100 miles and you may lose that remaining 20 pounds quicker than you thought!
Old 10-25-13, 12:51 PM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal is to lose enough weight so that my man boobs don't jiggle
Old 10-25-13, 01:02 PM
LabRat2k3

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Xperience

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must be a great feeling getting that close to your goal. I haven't lost anywhere near as much weight as you have, only 33 pounds, but I can already see that watching the number on the scale get smaller is kind of addictive. I don't know anything about you really so I can't say if being under 200 pounds is going to be too thin or not. Having said that I would encourage you to be honest with yourself about why you want to get there. If it is because you will be healthier at that weight then by all means, keep on trucking my friend. Even if it is just for the challenge of seeing how low you can go, I don't guess it would really hurt anything, and if you don't feel or look good at that weight, it is always easy to put a little weight back on.
Old 10-25-13, 01:17 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by MikeRides
Way to go, keep setting goals for yourself! Ride another 100 miles and you may lose that remaining 20 pounds quicker than you thought!
By laying in the ditch trying to gain enough strength to throw my bike away? Seriously though riding my bike certainly did contribute.
Old 10-25-13, 01:21 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by LabRat2k3
Must be a great feeling getting that close to your goal. I haven't lost anywhere near as much weight as you have, only 33 pounds, but I can already see that watching the number on the scale get smaller is kind of addictive. I don't know anything about you really so I can't say if being under 200 pounds is going to be too thin or not. Having said that I would encourage you to be honest with yourself about why you want to get there. If it is because you will be healthier at that weight then by all means, keep on trucking my friend. Even if it is just for the challenge of seeing how low you can go, I don't guess it would really hurt anything, and if you don't feel or look good at that weight, it is always easy to put a little weight back on.
Chasing a number can tempting and since weight is what we usually talk about it's an easy trap. I generally let the mirror guide me but if the mirror every lies hopefully how I'm feeling will clue me in. I can't really rely on my doctor because the vast majority have no clue on what you should weight based on your body type, etc. And it's not that they have no clue it is that they have no ability to know. Most general practitioners are pretty horrible at dietary, etc. It's just not a part of their focus.

So.... I look at the mirror and make sure I don't have to lose muscle to get my weight lower, etc.
Old 11-03-13, 07:13 AM
alaskadude

Bikes: Surly OGRE, Surly LHT Deluxe w/S&S couplers,novara safari, raleigh MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I'm looking at the mirror and I think I can lose about 20 more lbs. Any more of that and I think I'd be too low. My wife already thinks I'm low enough but it's more that she is used to seeing me heavy. If I lost 20lbs more I'll still be a clyde though just by 10lbs (210).

However..... as I get closer I may reevaluate and see that I can get below 200lbs. I don't want to do that for a number goal but only if that is what a healthier body dictates.
You lost 70 pounds? That is amazing! I used to weigh more than 260, then I started cleaning up my diet. That helped, but not much. I got into biking 2 years ago, and this summer rode everywhere (sort of carless all summer) Now I am down to 240. I really want to lose 20 more though. I am afraid it might take 2 more years, though. how long did it take you to lose 70? That is an amazing loss
Old 11-03-13, 09:06 AM
B8888S

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am right there with you. I started out at 275 last February. My wife bought me a bike for my birthday and I started riding every day. I also changed my diet and cut out many things that I used to eat daily. I am now down to 208 and feel great! That is 67lbs. down in just 9 short months.

I also feel like I would like to loose another 20 lbs. My goal weight was originally 210 now I would like to see 185 lbs. I feel great now but would know that loosing another 20 would make climbing on bike soooooo much easier. I was 190lbs. 17 years ago when I got married to my lovely wife. I was running 5-6 miles daily and lifting weights 3 times a week.

After loosing 67 lbs. I know I can loose that last 20 before February of 2014.
Old 11-03-13, 09:57 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by alaskadude
You lost 70 pounds? That is amazing! I used to weigh more than 260, then I started cleaning up my diet. That helped, but not much. I got into biking 2 years ago, and this summer rode everywhere (sort of carless all summer) Now I am down to 240. I really want to lose 20 more though. I am afraid it might take 2 more years, though. how long did it take you to lose 70? That is an amazing loss
From Thanksgiving 2013 until now. I could have lost a bunch more but I coach and I'm always at a ballfield in the summers and it is difficult to do what you should do. I lost 8lbs during the summer when I normally would gain 10-15lbs so that lets me know that even though I only lost a little I what I am doing is right for me.
Old 11-03-13, 10:48 AM
alaskadude

Bikes: Surly OGRE, Surly LHT Deluxe w/S&S couplers,novara safari, raleigh MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so thats what I am asking. what is it I need to do? I cleaned up my diet--lots of fruit and veg, no junk, as little fat and protien as I can handle. I rode 20 miles a day all summer (10 miles to work and back again) and row a raft for a job. salmon, lentils, and raw veg is what I eat.
Its seems like I should lose it faster. It seems like I should have lost 20 this summer instead of 12
Old 11-03-13, 05:42 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B8888S
I am right there with you. I started out at 275 last February. My wife bought me a bike for my birthday and I started riding every day. I also changed my diet and cut out many things that I used to eat daily. I am now down to 208 and feel great! That is 67lbs. down in just 9 short months.

I also feel like I would like to loose another 20 lbs. My goal weight was originally 210 now I would like to see 185 lbs. I feel great now but would know that loosing another 20 would make climbing on bike soooooo much easier. I was 190lbs. 17 years ago when I got married to my lovely wife. I was running 5-6 miles daily and lifting weights 3 times a week.

After loosing 67 lbs. I know I can loose that last 20 before February of 2014.
Great story and awesome success! Very motivational.
Old 11-04-13, 01:53 PM
tjax
Photon-Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA
My goal is to lose enough weight so that my man boobs don't jiggle
HAHAH Yes if I could get my B size moobs to a nice A I would be happy.
Old 11-04-13, 04:31 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tjax
HAHAH Yes if I could get my B size moobs to a nice A I would be happy.
Ha! Lay down on your back. I've finally reached the point where my moobs disappear when I'm laying on my back
Old 11-04-13, 05:04 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm always at a ballfield in the summers and it is difficult to do what you should do. I lost 8lbs during the summer when I normally would gain 10-15lbs so that lets me know that even though I only lost a little I what I am doing is right for me.
The concession stand at the Little League park can be a real food trap. We had a lady running it for a few seasons that was right into haute cuisine. Instead of grease burgers, she served lean pepper steak burgers with your choice of cheeze, bacon, fried fresh mushrooms and fried onions plus lettuce and tomatoes of course. It was a real success.

Rather than struggle to get parent volunteers, she invited good kids to run it under her supervision and paid them minimum wage. The little league association hardly took a cut in revenue. Parents planned to feed their family at the park because the food was so good.

Back to your weight loss! You've done really well! I'm stuck between 246 and 250 and can't be disciplined enough to really cut back like I should.
Old 11-04-13, 06:28 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! 70 pounds lost is a BIG DEAL!!

Keep after it and good luck with losing another 20!
Old 11-10-13, 04:47 PM
leeinmemphis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm alot like you. I was probably 280ish when the first of the year hit. I weighed in a few weeks ago for the first time since May and I was at 231. I'm hoping to get down to the 210 range. We're approaching it the same way. I'm trying to make new healthier habits and not really "diet". One of my biggest habits was drinking diet cokes. I haven't had one in months and I sleep SO much better. I'm hoping next year to ride more miles than this year but I'm pretty proud of riding 2200 miles so far for the year.
Old 11-11-13, 06:04 PM
Solare

Bikes: raleigh venture 4.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job!!! I find that some foods ie peanutbutter and beer are killers for me. So, I avoid them but I seem to have hit a plateau.
Old 11-11-13, 09:36 PM
Short Circuit

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 3, Older Norco 10 speed road bike, Giant ATX 840 Mountain Bike, West Coast Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos to everyone here that has lost weight.
I started out in March 2013 at 256 1/2 lbs and as of Yesterday (Nov 10, 2013) I have lost 68 lbs by eating right and exercising first on a treadmill and then on bikes.
I still eat things that are bad for me but not in a big quantity or very often.
I still am going to lose another 3 - 5 lbs and then decide if that's where I want to stay.
My moobs have pretty well disappeared too

Mark
Old 11-12-13, 09:49 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Losing that last 25, 10, 5 lbs is very hard... especially if you are approaching geezer status. It's not like the first 20 lbs that just falls off with a little discipline. For me, I'm trying to shake up my metabolism by running a couple of 5Ks during the week and 10K on the weekend, on top of my routine exercise. But I think you have to get used to the idea that the last 20 is going to happen slowly over many months, not weeks. If you find a short cut to dropping the last 20 I bet it's going to return with a vengeance.
Old 11-12-13, 08:20 PM
Short Circuit

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 3, Older Norco 10 speed road bike, Giant ATX 840 Mountain Bike, West Coast Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dietician told me that I should shock my system every once and a while with a 5000 calorie day to refire my metabolism.
I told her not a problem !!!!!

Mark
Old 11-13-13, 06:47 AM
evrythngsgngrn
. . .

Bikes: '96 Wheeler 7980, 2013 SuperSix-4, 2013 Felt F75X, 2015 Apollo Giro

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Thanksgiving 2013 until now. I could have lost a bunch more but I coach and I'm always at a ballfield in the summers and it is difficult to do what you should do. I lost 8lbs during the summer when I normally would gain 10-15lbs so that lets me know that even though I only lost a little I what I am doing is right for me.
Great job on the current loss, I'm about the same height as you and also have about 20lbs or so to go (currently 209).

Just to clarify the timeline, I assume you mean Thanksgiving 2012? Not sure whether American Thanksgiving has happened yet for 2013 and Canadian Thanksgiving 2013 was last month. Are we talking about a year or so?
Old 11-13-13, 11:20 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Short Circuit
My dietician told me that I should shock my system every once and a while with a 5000 calorie day to refire my metabolism.
I told her not a problem !!!!!

Mark
Hopefully you are kidding. If not find a new dietician.
Old 11-13-13, 11:22 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Losing that last 25, 10, 5 lbs is very hard... especially if you are approaching geezer status. It's not like the first 20 lbs that just falls off with a little discipline. For me, I'm trying to shake up my metabolism by running a couple of 5Ks during the week and 10K on the weekend, on top of my routine exercise. But I think you have to get used to the idea that the last 20 is going to happen slowly over many months, not weeks. If you find a short cut to dropping the last 20 I bet it's going to return with a vengeance.
I'm 45 years old and honestly I'm dropping the weight as quickly as my efforts would dictate. I think we often feel that our bodies won't respond at too young of an age. I'm not participating in that and once I get my nutrition correct I felt awesome and not only did the first bunch of pounds come off but the middle part and this part is as well. I just got back from a week long hunting trip so I did some damage to my "lifestyle" but I'll get that off quickly and continue towards my goal, wherever that ultimately is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.