Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Nashbar cro-mo touring frame

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 11:26 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Here it is: Nashbar Cro-mo Touring Frame

And they also have a 29er frame: Nashbar Cro-mo 29er Frame

This is real interesting for those who want to be able to weld a frame in different countries. I like the fact that it's blue with cantis for V-brakes. I still have a preference though for lighter aluminium frames. (I think my Nashbar touring frame was 4 lbs or 1800g. No weight is given and I don't see a matching blue fork with front rack eyelets on the site.)

Last edited by hybridbkrdr; 10-05-14 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-05-14, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the fork to go with it : Nashbar Disc/V-Brake Compatible Cyclocross/Touring/Hybrid Bike Fork

both come in under $200 thanks to Chinese TIG welders.
Old 10-05-14, 11:52 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'd use a Surly fork, almost a full pound less weight. see: Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

I would never trust anyone but an reliable frame builder to put welder to a bike frame. Most commercial welders work with heavy and thick materials and will do more damage than good. How often do good quality touring frames fail, anyway?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-05-14, 01:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Surly is made in the same sort of big room full of Cubicles of Individual TIG welders, working over there,, too ..
Old 10-05-14, 02:11 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Surly is made in the same sort of big room full of Cubicles of Individual TIG welders, working over there,, too ..
Look at the two forks Bob, completely different products that will perform differently. Where things are made is not the most important factor.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-05-14, 03:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Dont work for either firm.

Looks aside Is there the tube wall thickness specs on both? steel alloy specs? nashbar 1017?, Surly a 4130?
Old 10-05-14, 03:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Dont work for either firm.

Looks aside Is there the tube wall thickness specs on both? steel alloy specs? nashbar 1017?, Surly a 4130?
Over 300 grams of difference in terms of the published weights for the fork alone; if the frames differ that much in terms of weight, then we are talking about a very substantial difference in terms of weight. I like the price on the nashbar and the lack of decals; I like the weight on the surly. You don't have to be a weight weenie to think this is significant.