Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vancouver to San Francisco in 21 days?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 08:27 AM
velowallah

Bikes: Peugeot UO-8, early 70s, lovingly refurbished to get around town, and a Salsa Fargo first gen for touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that's about how much time I would ideally have to do the route, doing the small detour via the west side of the Olympic peninsula.

I am in pretty good shape and a semi-experienced tourer, but still am not looking at breaking any records and want to soak in the scenery a bit.

Is 21 days too rushed for this trip?
Old 01-26-15, 08:57 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by velowallah
Is 21 days too rushed for this trip?
I think it depends what type of trip you want to do - in particular anticipate some longer days in the saddle and not as much extra time either for contingencies (weather, mechanical) or to explore. In 1998, I cycled the Pacific Coast - splitting distances into three separate weeks [Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day] so I could use only 12 vacation days. I never quite documented the last week - but first two weeks described here: https://www.mvermeulen.com/pacific/index.htm was 16 days of cycling that brought me from Vancouver to San Francisco, though not via the Olympic Peninsula. Memorial Day week as more rainy and my distances were shorter, but had great weather during 4th of July week and did some longer distances.
Old 01-26-15, 09:30 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
you'll have to be moving at a pretty good pace. no dilly dallying.

in '96 as part of a longer tour i did Anacortes Is. to Sacramento in about two and a half weeks. IIRC there were a bunch of centuries in there. it was the end of a long tour and i was in the best shape of my life. and Ihad a tail wind most of the way too. not a leisurely trip. but i did dawdle a bit through Wa. and Or to eat about 10 qts of blackberries.
Old 01-26-15, 10:15 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I haven't ridden all the way from Vancouver to San Francisco, but I have done several parts of this route. I rode from Bellingham, WA to Tillimook, OR in 11 days (journal here). I rode from Mendicino, CA to Petaluma, CA in 3 days (journal here). It is 1 day or less (45 miles) from Petaluma to SF.

That leaves Tillimook, OR to Mendicino, CA about 600 miles (according to Google) in 7 days. This doesn't count the miles from Vancouver to Bellingham, maybe 30 miles. Note that all this was done without rest days.

I try to keep my daily rides to about 50 miles. If you can do 60-70 mile days (day after day), you shouldn't have a problem. But, I don't think it would be a "smell the roses" type of tour nor would you have much margin for weather or mechanical delays.
Old 01-26-15, 11:05 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did Bellingham to SF in 22 days a few years ago, no days off, but not in a huge hurry either. I might skip the Olympic Peninsula if you feel time crunched, it's not that awesome. Oregon coast is fully awesome.
Old 01-26-15, 12:52 PM
velowallah

Bikes: Peugeot UO-8, early 70s, lovingly refurbished to get around town, and a Salsa Fargo first gen for touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told that going the west side of the Olympic peninsula was the best way to avoid highway and traffic around the Seattle area. So I thought I would take the ferry to Victoria and cross to Port Angeles. Good idea?
Old 01-26-15, 01:09 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
on my trip, i went on the East side of the peninsula, a bit hilly, lots of logging at that time. traffic though was light. when i hit the columbia, i went west along the north side, crossed over on a ferry and then the south side to Astoria. all-in-all not bad. have fun.
Old 01-26-15, 01:09 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I was told that going the west side of the Olympic peninsula was the best way to avoid highway and traffic around the Seattle area. So I thought I would take the ferry to Victoria and cross to Port Angeles. Good idea?
Yes! Victoria is a great city to explore while waiting for the ferry.

Also, if you take the Hood Canal option, Highway 101, instead of following the Washington coast, it will be a little quicker; and IMO it is more interesting. You really don't get very close to the Pacific on the west side of the peninsula for most of the route anyway. Traffic can be a little heavy, but it is not a real issue.
Old 01-26-15, 10:46 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Yes! Victoria is a great city to explore while waiting for the ferry.

Also, if you take the Hood Canal option, Highway 101, instead of following the Washington coast, it will be a little quicker; and IMO it is more interesting. You really don't get very close to the Pacific on the west side of the peninsula for most of the route anyway. Traffic can be a little heavy, but it is not a real issue.
x2! That's the route I took...actually started in Vancouver then over to Victoria, taking the Ferry to Port Angeles and following hwy 101.
A fellow from work also rode with me, and even though he had very little touring experience, we started from Vancouver BC on April 7th
and arrived in San Fransisco on April 21st, averaging about 75 mi a day. We actually rode 1134 miles in total over 15 days before renting a car for the return home. We were heavily rained on north of Astoria, otherwise the weather was mostly sunny and warm for the whole trip. The further south we went, the more the winds helped us along.
Old 01-27-15, 10:09 AM
velowallah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 days, Big Lew, was that a 'ride from dawn til dusk' kind of trip?

Also, does anyone know whether we have to box the bike to put it on the train? That`s one of the reasons I am tempted by it rather than flying. Seems less logistics.
Old 01-27-15, 10:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Time short ? Vic- Van BC to Florence Oregon to Eugene and You can take Amtrak to SF **,, another time take the train back and do the 2nd portion..

Un hurried enjoyable pace.

** at that point the tracks cross the Cascades and are well east until the rails come west again, nearer To the East Bay (Berkeley-Emeryville)..

Eugene and Emeryville will have the Boxes , to sell, (or in Eugene I've adopted a Used Box abandoned by some one arriving).

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-27-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 01:28 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
15 days, Big Lew, was that a 'ride from dawn til dusk' kind of trip?

Also, does anyone know whether we have to box the bike to put it on the train? That`s one of the reasons I am tempted by it rather than flying. Seems less logistics.
If you take the Coast Starlight from SF to Vancouver boxes are required. However, the boxes are huge and it only requires removal of the pedals and turning the bars. It takes about 20 minutes once you get the hang of it. Just remember to pick up packing tape, and have the tools needed to remove pedals and loosen stem/bars.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-27-15 at 02:14 PM.