Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best jersey and/or shorts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best jersey and/or shorts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 01:46 PM
puddingface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Castelli aero 5.1. It's cool even on the hottest days. Note: it runs crazy small (need two sizes larger than normal).
Old 03-24-17, 01:52 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
^^^ POWER RANGERS! UNITE!

Ultraman > Power Rangers.
Old 03-24-17, 02:02 PM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Assos T Equipe S7 Bib Shorts - Bib Shorts & Shorts - Ribble Cycles
Old 03-24-17, 02:05 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Good to hear. Their ads pop up on my social media feed all the time, and although I hate to be a sucker for advertising of that type, I do always look at it and think, "Maybe..."
It's amazing. After 1 ride in MAAP, I sold all my Rapha and invested in all MAAP. Haven't looked back since.
Old 03-24-17, 02:21 PM
eric1971

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
It's amazing. After 1 ride in MAAP, I sold all my Rapha and invested in all MAAP. Haven't looked back since.
I have one MAAP jersey, and I do really like it. Have not tried any of their bibs. They do make the best socks I have tried! Perfect thickness. Not to tight, not too loose.
Old 03-24-17, 02:32 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1971
I have one MAAP jersey, and I do really like it. Have not tried any of their bibs. They do make the best socks I have tried! Perfect thickness. Not to tight, not too loose.
Their bib shorts are even better than the jerseys, but work cohesively. The bibs have a nice thickness and have very good compression. Chamois is a multi density pad and is postion ed perfectly. They are currently working on a 3rd Gen chamois pad that will be released soon.
Old 03-24-17, 02:57 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts

I was skeptical of the Assos/Rapha stuff until I tried them on sale. These are the best bibs I've used. My favorite jersey is the Rapha climbers jersey. The bibs seem to last longer. The jersey just fits better for some reason.
Old 03-24-17, 03:05 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
I was skeptical of the Assos/Rapha stuff until I tried them on sale. These are the best bibs I've used. My favorite jersey is the Rapha climbers jersey. The bibs seem to last longer. The jersey just fits better for some reason.
Those jerseys just have a way of knowing when you're a serious cyclist and fading into the background so you can get down to the business of tapping out some serious watts on a climb.
Old 03-24-17, 03:16 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Castelli race jerseys

Gore xenon race 2.0 bibshorts <--- best ever!
Old 03-24-17, 03:18 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Those jerseys just have a way of knowing when you're a serious cyclist and fading into the background so you can get down to the business of tapping out some serious watts on a climb.

That's why I was so skeptical of the big name stuff, but after trying I do like how that jersey fits. Luckily I was able to get a couple new jerseys off ebay from the UK at a good price. Luckily they can still ship those jerseys to the US.
Old 03-24-17, 08:12 PM
LiquorLad

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snidely
Shhhhhhh. Don't give away the secret so fast. I want to wait for his thread titled "why do I keep getting sores on my a**".
I don't have any. You can check my arse if you want.

I'm waiting for your thread "Why Can't I Keep Up With a D Group With My Racing Costume & Crabon Bike"
Old 03-24-17, 09:48 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquorLad
Shorts & a t shirt. I leave the racing costumes to ppl who actually race.
There's nothing wrong with black padded lycra shorts and a bright, visible sold jersey. Decent cycling specific clothing can be purchased at reasonable prices and the features offer benefits over standard shorts and t shirts. There's nothing about plain cycling clothing that screams "racing costume".
Old 03-25-17, 12:30 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Shorts & a t shirt. I leave the racing costumes to ppl who actually race.
I am going to be so busted if you catch me wearing tennis shoes when I play tennis or my running shoes when I'm jogging in the park or my Dodger cap when I'm sitting in the stands.

On the other hand, you better hope no one recognizes you when you're on a road bike. ;-)
Old 03-25-17, 06:00 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My "best" jersey is probably the Giordana shop/team jersey I just got. I have more run of the mill event and race team jerseys than anything, and this one is definitely a cut above in terms of fit. Will have to see how it holds up over time.
My "best" bib shorts are from Maloja, but they're still new. Again, will need to see how they hold up. Have a pair from Cannondale (carbon?) that have held up quite well.
My favorite kits, however, happen to be long - a pair of tights* and a long sleeve jersey from Sportful for cool weather, and some FRC tights and jacket* from Giordana for cold. (*in photo used here)

Your loss. We don't wear lycra because it's a costume, we wear it because it's more comfortable and utilitarian for its intended purpose.
Speak for yourself.
Honestly, it's like a lot of things. I'll concede that for rides in excess of a couple of hours, a chamois is advisable, but if a ride is not decidedly strenuous, the difference in absolute comfort and functionality between cycling kit and reasonable street clothes is negligible to non-existent, and even if it is strenuous, cycling-specific clothing is far from essential. Heck, when it comes to "competition," I've managed to get PRs and land on top of some sizable leader boards wearing a business suit and an overcoat. However, once one gets used to the cycling-specific kit, one becomes increasingly sensitive to the difference, even when one is just going out for a quick spin. It's a matter of appreciation.

On a related note, this showed up in my facebook feed this morning:
https://www.runnersworld.com/newswire...in-record-time

Last edited by kbarch; 03-25-17 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-25-17, 06:12 AM
boshk

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR3, Diverge DSW (retired)

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got all mine from sales.
Castelli Perfetto was around just over $110US
The Specialized RBX jersey was $20US
Altura night vision shorts and jersey were $45 total....
Old 03-25-17, 07:21 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Well, am I the only one who has "favorites" by which bike he rides?

This Giordana is a perfect match to my XL Super but is also my most comfortable.

For the Antares this is my "favorite" jersey, paired with pink socks of course.

I also have a bright green Liquigas Bianchi jersey to pair with my bright green Bianchi Campione.

My bibs are all Pearl Izumi since there's an outlet in Park City I can drive to to try them on.
Old 03-25-17, 08:22 AM
LiquorLad

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
I am going to be so busted if you catch me wearing tennis shoes when I play tennis or my running shoes when I'm jogging in the park or my Dodger cap when I'm sitting in the stands.

On the other hand, you better hope no one recognizes you when you're on a road bike. ;-)
I've seen your kind a million times at group rides. Side eyeing me & snickering while I'm on an old $300 road bike w/ shorts & t shirts. Your kind is typically on a $$$$ crabon brand bike you've been conditioned to purchase through shallow cycling magazine advertising, combined with a racing costume, cycling specific glasses & clipless pedals.

When I'm the one holding 25-30mph breakaways your in the back group yacking about office politics. When I wait for the rest of the group to catch up my bike gets looked over and I get questions like the bike has super powers.

At the end of the day I recognize who the real jokes are on road bikes.

Last edited by LiquorLad; 03-25-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-25-17, 01:18 PM
eabeaj

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z5

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen your kind a million times at group rides. Side eyeing me & snickering while I'm on an old $300 road bike w/ shorts & t shirts. Your kind is typically on a $$$$ crabon brand bike you've been conditioned to purchase through shallow cycling magazine advertising, combined with a racing costume, cycling specific glasses & clipless pedals.

When I'm the one holding 25-30mph breakaways your in the back group yacking about office politics. When I wait for the rest of the group to catch up my bike gets looked over and I get questions like the bike has super powers.

Jesus Christ, this forum...
Old 03-25-17, 01:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No "Best", just a bunch of competing brands, and opinions.

Old 03-25-17, 03:19 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just because you can wear something, doesn't mean you should
Old 03-25-17, 03:29 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

Oh my, CF envy rears it ugly head once again.
Old 03-25-17, 03:32 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as a follow-up; another reason I really like the Maloja kit. Just got home from a rather wet and dirty road ride and just knew I had all kinds of gross spray showing up my backside. I could feel it. But when I got home - wait, what? They were spotless!
[IMG][/IMG]
Maybe it helps that they're about the color of road grime, and the finish is very slick, too. This will definitely be my go-to kit for wet rides.
Old 03-25-17, 07:31 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't have a lot so...
dhb Micro block bib shorts are my favorite pair of bibs. I have some more expensive dhb bibs (ASV race), but I like the pad better in my micro blok shorts.

My favorite long sleeve jersey is Ale something or another thermal shirt. For short sleeve I only have a bunch of LG event shirts from the Motor City rides in Detroit that my dad picked up for $2 a piece.
Old 03-25-17, 07:50 PM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my kits are Castelli, aero race bibs and training tops. Also have some Volo & Nano bibs and an aero race jersey. They all fit great and are my favorite kits to currently wear. Just ordered new team kit from Starlight so curious to see how they compare.
Old 03-25-17, 07:55 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Performancebikes own brand are nice, and they usually have large sales on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.