Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 09:56 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Roubaix is almost as aero as the Speed Concept.

Who woulda thunk it.
Old 02-25-11, 11:22 PM
rob!

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9 / 2006 Felt F5C / 2012 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went out tonight with an odd snow/rain mix. Found that Crud RoadRacers mk2 aren't terribly effective for snow (although I still like them a lot for wet roads).

Old 02-25-11, 11:31 PM
Bulldog Mafia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just signed up here and wanted to share my current ride. Sorry for the photo. I don't have a garage door and the lighting is pretty crappy. I have had the 2.5 since new and keep on waiting for it to break but it has been perfect. I have ridden it pretty regulary over the last 6 years in Melbourne, Australia and taken it to New Hampshire where myself and few others did a couple of centuries in three days riding on the 'wrong' side of the road was crazy, but the drivers were pretty nice). No major equipment changes except for the FSA crank, which was pretty loud, so I put the Centaur one in. I have a Cooper BB30 frame that I am getting parts for at the moment

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG2298.jpg (62.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 02-26-11, 12:29 AM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DubT not to make you feel bad but that bike is as fast as a 300 dollar wal-mart road bike

It's completely wrong all around and it looks like you went into a less-than-ethical LBS with 15K in hand and demanded the "fastest bike possible" but during the fitting you said "I want to ride it like a dutch bike".

All in all, a complete abortion. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 02-26-11, 01:05 AM
irvri

Bikes: 3Rensho Super Record Export, Zunow Z-1, Andy Gilmour Breakaway, Sycip 26er

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2009 Caad9-5. Just finished refitting with Dura Ace 7800: Shifters, Derailleurs, Cranks, Brakes + SRAM cassette. Just needs a good stem/seatpost combo.

Also wanted to post my Cervelo P2k with 7700 that I'm almost done rebuilding. Its more show than go but only cost me $355. Frame + front wheel + profile design bottle = 355, everything else cost $0 after I sold the frame the parts came on
Old 02-26-11, 04:01 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
Ghastly.
Old 02-26-11, 05:01 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Pinarello f3-13

G'day all introducing my F3-13 it's not the latest or greatest but the weight is a resonable 6.75kg thanks to 1005gram bouwmeester wheels.
A bump in the road down a hill at 80kph is a worry though.

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 02-26-11 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-26-11, 05:46 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,687 Times in 4,081 Posts
OOooh, I need that Pinarello. I don't think I can go for that (I'm guessing I-beam) seat setup, but otherwise total stunner!

And I'd probably go with a longer stem and more compact bars, but ...

It's really refreshing to see a road bike without any red on it anywhere.
Old 02-26-11, 06:33 AM
the_don

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Razor From KC
Love those wheels. I had a set for 1K miles non stop with no issue. Just make sure to inspect where the rivets are for cracks after each ride
I had a set before, I know to look out for cracks.

i just got these and they are in nearly perfect condition. they came with spinergy wheel covers and the manual and extra bits.

Here is a better photo.

Last edited by the_don; 02-26-11 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-26-11, 07:27 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
As an owner of a beautiful Speed Concept, I must ask; why? Trek finally does perfect tri geometry and this results.
For what it is worth, this is "WHY": I am a 68 year old retiree, I raced for several years and then quit and rode motorcycle observed trials with my sons for several years. A couple of years ago I started riding for fun and exercise on an old steel Bianchi. I really enjoyed riding again and started getting in pretty good shape, also lost 20 pounds. Started looking at new bikes, I did not like the big fat wide down tubes on the Trek Madone series. I found a new 2009 Trek TTX 9.5 that with the seat post reversed had the same geometry as the Bianchi. The LBS made me a decent swap and put road bars and Ultegra levers on it for me. I really liked the bike, it was faster than the Bianchi. I will ride anywhere from 20 to 60 miles on a given ride. I was in Oklahoma last fall to ride a metric century with my daughter when we noticed some cracks in the TTX fame. Long story short, Trek replaced my TTX frame set with the SC 9.9. It may look weird to you but at my age I do not care what people think. I love it, I like the way it looks and rides. For me it is perfect. I am no longer flexible enough to get into a really good aero position, thus the relaxed fit.

Wayne

Last edited by DubT; 02-26-11 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-26-11, 07:39 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Hmmm. I can understand high road bars. My bars get higher every 5 years or so and at 42 years of age the tops are about even with my saddle. BUT the high aero bars just seem so awkward! Your elbows really need to be lower than that for the whole deal to work, IMO.

But, if it works for you then more power to ya!
Old 02-26-11, 07:44 AM
the_don

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For what it is worth, this is "WHY": I am a 68 year old retiree, I raced for several years and then quit and rode motorcycle observed trials with my sons for several years. A couple of years ago I started riding for fun and exercise on an old steel Bianchi. I really enjoyed riding again and started getting in pretty good shape, also lost 20 pounds. Started looking at new bikes, I did not like the big fat wide down tubes on the Trek Madone series. I found a new 2009 Trek TTX 9.5 that with the seat post reversed had the same geometry as the Bianchi. The LBS made me a decent swap and put road bars and Ultegra levers on it for me. I really liked the bike, it was faster than than the Bianchi. I will ride anywhere from 20 to 60 miles on a given ride. I was in Oklahoma last fall to ride a metric century with my daughter whe we noticed some cracks in the TTX fame. Long story short, Trek replaced my TTX frame set with the SC 9.9. It may look weird to you but at my age I do not care what people think. I love it, I like the way it looks and rides. For me it is perfect. I am no longer flexible enough to get into a really good aero position, thus the relaxed fit.

Wayne
WORD!

Old 02-26-11, 09:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
For what it is worth, this is "WHY": I am a 68 year old retiree, I raced for several years and then quit and rode motorcycle observed trials with my sons for several years. A couple of years ago I started riding for fun and exercise on an old steel Bianchi. I really enjoyed riding again and started getting in pretty good shape, also lost 20 pounds. Started looking at new bikes, I did not like the big fat wide down tubes on the Trek Madone series. I found a new 2009 Trek TTX 9.5 that with the seat post reversed had the same geometry as the Bianchi. The LBS made me a decent swap and put road bars and Ultegra levers on it for me. I really liked the bike, it was faster than the Bianchi. I will ride anywhere from 20 to 60 miles on a given ride. I was in Oklahoma last fall to ride a metric century with my daughter when we noticed some cracks in the TTX fame. Long story short, Trek replaced my TTX frame set with the SC 9.9. It may look weird to you but at my age I do not care what people think. I love it, I like the way it looks and rides. For me it is perfect. I am no longer flexible enough to get into a really good aero position, thus the relaxed fit.

Wayne
My apologies for the bile spewing that has taken place. When I'm 68, I hope to be as active and to be as indifferent to the inanity of others.
Old 02-26-11, 10:45 AM
thisisbenji

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I bet if we saw him riding it'd be pretty sweet. I mean at 68 riding a bike like that, I can see how the bars would need to be set up different.
Old 02-26-11, 10:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I see myself rollin' like this at 68, but on Italian steel instead of Moots Ti, but still anti-aero. And I'm hoping my arms never get that hairy.

Old 02-26-11, 11:11 AM
milliron

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ain't nothing a set of electric clippers and a #2 guard can't fix.

I cleaned my bicycle last night. Here is a snapshot:

Old 02-26-11, 11:27 AM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wayne

fair enough. it's certainly an unusual setup, but if it lets you ride in comfort, that's what matters.
Old 02-26-11, 11:38 AM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by milliron
Ain't nothing a set of electric clippers and a #2 guard can't fix.

The addict in that stealth finish is by far my favorite frame on the market right now. Looks like a stealth fighter
Old 02-26-11, 11:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by milliron

https://milliron.org/hosted/addict-01487.jpg
Nice - I love the monochromatic color scheme. Are the dark gray areas paint or nude-ish carbon?
Old 02-26-11, 12:29 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Wayne

I think it's pretty badass. What's the fairing behind the seat tube?
Old 02-26-11, 01:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by BarracksSi

I think it's pretty badass. What's the fairing behind the seat tube?
They call it a rear draft box. Just what you always wanted.
Old 02-26-11, 09:29 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUT the high aero bars just seem so awkward! Your elbows really need to be lower than that for the whole deal to work, IMO.
I've never understood why people have a problem with high aerobars. All aerobars do is move your arms out of the wind, nothing else. They'll do that no matter what height they're set up at. Sure you'll be overall more aero if your body is also low, but that's a seperate issue than aerobars.
And that's completely ignoring the added comfort aerobars can give.
Old 02-26-11, 10:14 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
high aerobars are less stable than low aerobars

its always good to have weight over the front wheel
Old 02-27-11, 02:10 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I see myself rollin' like this at 68, but on Italian steel instead of Moots Ti, but still anti-aero. And I'm hoping my arms never get that hairy.

Old 02-27-11, 08:20 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
high aerobars are less stable than low aerobars
Bicycles are less stable than tricycles. But both are stable enough. I've ridded with high aerobars and low aerobars and both were fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.