Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just When You Were About To Forget Diamondback!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Just When You Were About To Forget Diamondback!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 12:49 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
This whole thread reads like marketing releases.

Yawn. I've "forgotten" about Diamondback already.
Old 08-11-12, 01:22 PM
ultraman6970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saw a #5 today and the frame looked pretty solid. the asian guy riding it sucked but the frame looked nice. Gotta wait till next year when they are on sale for 500 bucks to get a 7
Old 08-11-12, 07:24 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bosoxmrkn

Weighs in a 16lbs, the 2012 Podium 6. Came with Ultegra and I swapped out for Force. Upgraded to Ksyrium Elites as well.
Splooge. Can I ask how much you paid, with Ultegra?
Old 08-12-12, 01:13 AM
teokiatuan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone tried this bike yet?

Looks like good value for money. Some dura ace/ultegra for 2k

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...73_-1___400863
Old 08-12-12, 01:29 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teokiatuan
anyone tried this bike yet?

Looks like good value for money. Some dura ace/ultegra for 2k

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...73_-1___400863
DA shifters & rear deralleur, ultegra front deralleur, and a CS-4600 cassette? Who specs these things?
Old 08-13-12, 08:04 AM
bosoxmrkn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
Splooge. Can I ask how much you paid, with Ultegra?
Actually, doing a little looking around you can have the Ultegra Podium 6 version for a little over $2500 on Amazon right now. Obviously you'd then need a shop to build it up. And I highly recommend the Podium 6 over the 2011 version for sale on Performance Bike..
Old 08-13-12, 08:29 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Both Diamondback and Dick's will have to do some struggling, admittedly. However, the Diamondback brand has not suffered in the least, the way the Hyundai brand suffered. The Diamondback road is not nearly as tough or long. Trust me on that one.

Just keep your eye on Dick's online Diamondback bicycles. They haven't come up with the Podium 7 for nothing. It's an image enrichment! They're not going to build it up on one end, just to tear it down on another. Change is on the horizon, I tell ya! I can smell it!

Why would I trust you? You seem to be a shill for Diamondback. I have an MBA. I can see that this is a bone headed move for Diamondback based off of all of my education and experience. You offer nothing in response but "trust me."
Old 08-13-12, 08:50 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I wonder if they only made a limited number of the Podium 7 at first. Just enough to say they make a higher end. Make them decent enough quality that they're a good enough bargain at their pricepoint that they sell out. Do that for a few years to slowly elevate the perceived value of the line (hey, they make high end bikes, too, not just the low end stuff!). Then, you can either hope that word of mouth spreads and more people want the higher end line so you can expand that way (possibly cutting the lowest of the low end as you go), or, even if you can't grow your top of the line market, you use it's existence more as advertising than revenue stream to boost the image of your whole lineup (again possibly weeding out the junkiest bottom of the low end). It's a long road to follow, and needs dedication to it (no deviation even without immediate returns), but it can work as a way to return a sullied brand to prominence. Note, I said CAN instead of will, because it can also blow up in your face, especially if you rush it or don't follow it strictly, lose faith too soon, or keep putting out crap on the bottom end.

Not saying that's what they're trying, but I've heard of others trying it before (can't remember who did that successfully off the top of my head), but wasn't that one of Apple's strategies (pre-iPod)?

Old 08-13-12, 09:29 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Why would I trust you? You seem to be a shill for Diamondback. I have an MBA. I can see that this is a bone headed move for Diamondback based off of all of my education and experience. You offer nothing in response but "trust me."
No. I'm not a shill for Diamondback, Raleigh, or Jamis. I simply like bikes and things related to cycling and cyclists.

I love to see bicycle companies at their best. I love to see bicycle merchants selling bikes like hotcakes. I loved seeing Nashbar sell out of their Schwinn Madisons. Just like I love seeing their SE Lagers go too!

Glad to see that you've accomplished an MBA in life. Many people don't bother to pursue a higher education. Either that or they simply can't afford it.

FWIW, I personally respect you for that, but not your shill accusation. Otherwise, I've enjoyed your commentaries.

Let's get back on track now!

PS.

BTW - I don't really advise anyone to trust anybody over the INTERNET!

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-13-12 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 09:30 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I wonder if they only made a limited number of the Podium 7 at first. Just enough to say they make a higher end. Make them decent enough quality that they're a good enough bargain at their pricepoint that they sell out. Do that for a few years to slowly elevate the perceived value of the line (hey, they make high end bikes, too, not just the low end stuff!). Then, you can either hope that word of mouth spreads and more people want the higher end line so you can expand that way (possibly cutting the lowest of the low end as you go), or, even if you can't grow your top of the line market, you use it's existence more as advertising than revenue stream to boost the image of your whole lineup (again possibly weeding out the junkiest bottom of the low end). It's a long road to follow, and needs dedication to it (no deviation even without immediate returns), but it can work as a way to return a sullied brand to prominence. Note, I said CAN instead of will, because it can also blow up in your face, especially if you rush it or don't follow it strictly, lose faith too soon, or keep putting out crap on the bottom end.

Not saying that's what they're trying, but I've heard of others trying it before (can't remember who did that successfully off the top of my head), but wasn't that one of Apple's strategies (pre-iPod)?

Precisely!

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-13-12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 09:37 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No. I'm not a shill for Diamondback, Raleigh, or Jamis. I simply like bikes and things related to cycling and cyclists.

I love to see bicycle companies at their best. I love to see bicycle merchants selling bikes like hotcakes. I loved seeing Nashbar sell out of their Schwinn Madisons. Just like I love seeing their SE Lagers go too!

Glad to see that you've accomplished an MBA in life. Many people don't bother to pursue a higher education. Either that or they simply can't afford it.

FWIW, I personally respect you for that, but not your shill accusation. Otherwise, I've enjoyed your commentaries.

Let's get back on track now!

PS.

BTW - I don't really advise anyone to trust anybody over the INTERNET!

My job paid for the MBA. I am a scientist and wanted to get more into the business end of things. It isn't necessarily that some folks can't be bothered with more education but rather they have different goals. I know some general contractors that make much more money than I do. More college degrees doesn't make someone a better person or even more successful. It is best not to make assumptions about a person's motivation or intelligence based solely off of how many college degrees they have.

Okay. So back on track. So why do you like the Diamondback brand so much? Why them and not some other brand that is actually innovative and full of quality. I see diamondbacks and think...bleh.
Old 08-13-12, 09:55 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saw a #4 or 5 this saturday, the bike looked pretty solid. No idea how it rides tho.
Old 08-13-12, 11:07 AM
bosoxmrkn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride Quality - Coming from a 2010 Giant Defy 1 the Podium 6 (around 1000 miles on the bike since the end of June) felt very smooth and the power transfer felt amazing. I have no negative comments regarding ride quality, handling, or performance. I can climb, sprint, or just grind away exactly as I had before but now I feel a lot less of the road. All performance statistics (HR, Speed, Cadence) are all improving as they normally would throughout the summer, so its hard to determine what might be affected by the bike and what might simply be conditioning.

The only downside of this bike so far (and I have NOT yet contacted Diamondback directly):

The crank was scratched in transit. However, I sold it anyways and replaced it.
There might be an issue with the steerer, for which I will be seeking a replacement. Lots of noise. Going to be taking it apart soon.
The derailleur hanger was bent and we needed a shim to get the front derailleur to operate correctly.
The FSA PF30 isn't cooperating well with the new SRAM BB30 crank. Going to swap in a SRAM PF30 and see if that helps.

Other than all of that, I get comments on the design of the bike regularly and have been very satisfied.
Old 08-13-12, 11:49 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the bike looks nice, and I bet the frame is of similar quality to other carbon frames contracted out to Asian factories. My only problem is that for the prices they might be asking, I'd be more likely to get a new Giant, Jamis, KHS, or other well established company that offered similarly nice value for the retail price.
Old 08-13-12, 12:02 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A bit of trivia: I was checking into a warranty issue on my Raleigh, and found out that my dealer is no longer a Raleigh dealer. The main issue they had was that Raleigh was furnishing them bikes, but then selling bikes with the identical model name, but a lower level of components, through Dick's Sporting Goods. So people couldn't understand why that bike sells for $500 when Dicks has it for $300.

Based on rather limited experience, Raleigh is NOT very good in their warranty department, so I would be very wary of buying anything high-end from the company.
Old 08-13-12, 12:11 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
My job paid for the MBA. I am a scientist and wanted to get more into the business end of things. It isn't necessarily that some folks can't be bothered with more education but rather they have different goals. I know some general contractors that make much more money than I do. More college degrees doesn't make someone a better person or even more successful. It is best not to make assumptions about a person's motivation or intelligence based solely off of how many college degrees they have.

Okay. So back on track. So why do you like the Diamondback brand so much? Why them and not some other brand that is actually innovative and full of quality. I see diamondbacks and think...bleh.
Hey there Steady!

You brought up the MBA topic, not me. I have a couple of degrees too, but I'm not going into that discussion, because that type of thing tends to alienate. Money is important, but it's also the root of all things evil, so I'm not really concerned about that either, as it is completely irrelated to the topic at hand.
I made no implications or assumptions about your specific motivations nor did I insinuate anything about your perceived intelligence. I've seen ingenius tow motor drivers and imbecilic Phds. I have therefore, learned from experience, not to extrapolate any measure of intelligence simply from the letters both before and after a person's name. However, I do admire people who strive to improve upon themselves. That's especially when their pursuits are of an intellectual nature!

Now back on track...

That's just the point! For years I really didn't give Diamondback a second thought. Diamondback was buried deep down somewhere inside the recesses of my brain when, suddenly I came upon that article concerning the Podium 7. I then became interested in whatelse I might have been missing from Diamondback. I therefore, went directly to their website. I then began to realize, just how much I had been missing from Diamondback. It started me to thinking about how I developed my initial feelings or thoughts about Diamondback being a second-rate, or mediocre bicycle company.

I now honestly believe that those thoughts were derived from the many visits that I made at Dick's Sporting Goods outlets, where I would always casually peruse through their few bikes, make my assumptions, purchase either my fishing line or blackpowder, and exit. My sons also knew a few kids who owned Diamondbacks. They all appeared to be fairly decent entry level bikes to me. However, there was really nothing particularly impressive about them. However, now that I've seen the types of bikes that they offer, I'd say that they're right up there along with all of the others now that they have the Podium 7. When you also consider the fact that Diamondback makes some pretty awesome hybrids and mountain bikes as well, suddenly the veil of mediocrity gets lifted.

There's also nothing mediocre about the following Diamondbacks:

Performance Hybrid ~ The Interval Elite

MTB ~ The Sortie Black 29er and The Scapegoat

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-13-12 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:15 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you also consider the fact that Diamonback makes some pretty awesome hybrids and mountain bikes as well, suddenly the veil of mediocrity gets lifted.
If anything, perhaps the veil of craptacularness has been lifted and replaced with a veil of mediocrity. I don't see anything special about their current offerings.
Old 08-13-12, 12:37 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
If anything, perhaps the veil of craptacularness has been lifted and replaced with a veil of mediocrity. I don't see anything special about their current offerings.
I see that your glass is half empty as usual, Mike!
Old 08-13-12, 12:40 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see that your glass is half empty as usual, Mike!
Please tell me why their completely average bikes are anything but elevated to mediocre. What's the differentiator?
Old 08-13-12, 01:31 PM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I'm not a shill for Diamondback, Raleigh, or Jamis.
No, it seems pretty obvious you're a schill for Dick's though.
Old 08-13-12, 01:35 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quoted for truth
Old 08-13-12, 01:45 PM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I like the new bikes. I also like they offer them at a significant discount to the military. They have remained strong in the MTB world for some time, and I'm sure their bikes work just as well as the other asian manufactured stuff. I wish I could find one in my size. Everywhere always seems to be out of the 50cm.
Old 08-13-12, 01:58 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
C & V guy here and a slow day at work. I ride old steel lugged bikes so I have no dog in the fight either way. BUT... if I was in the market for a new CF machine why wouldn't I look at their offerings? I don't know anything about modern offerings so I would give every brand a look. With the generic nature of the bike industry, the only thing that is different is the frame, right? I would do my research and at least give it a look.

So what would it take for the rest of you to take a look and not immediately dismiss this brand? Some prominent pros endorsements? We all know pro athletes ride or play what brand they do because of the $$$$. Some good writeups in reputable media print? I don't know I'm just asking. I'm not a Lance fanboy.(okay, I admit I'm a Lance hater) So other than Trek or Nike,(I'm sure they make good products) I would be open to exploring all brands out there.
Old 08-13-12, 02:21 PM
svtmike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seypat, the secret sauce is the frame. Since they aren't doing anything special there, they are completely average ("mediocre"). I spend my significant bike money with companies that are working to advance the art, not commodity guys chunking out generic frames.
Old 08-13-12, 02:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Seypat, the secret sauce is the frame. Since they aren't doing anything special there, they are completely average ("mediocre"). I spend my significant bike money with companies that are working to advance the art, not commodity guys chunking out generic frames.
But how many of the other brands out there are completely average? How many others aren't doing anything special? How many of the upper end market are truly doing something that separates them from their peers? Again I'm just asking because I don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.