Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Petroleum jelly (Vaseline)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's wrong with Petroleum jelly (Vaseline)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 01:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Gege-Bubu
I could not find body glide I normally use as chamois cream, so I have used a Vaseline. No problem at all.

Can Vaseline be used as chamois cream on regular basis? Or A+D we used on babies. Will they ruin the shorts?
And what is so special about chamois cream specially made for cycling butts?
Have you tried going cream free? Why do you think you need the cream? If your bicycle is set up correctly, if you've got the right saddle for you, and if you are wearing the right clothing for you ... chances are, you don't need it.

Try going without ... you might find you don't need to spend another cent on the stuff.
Old 09-11-12, 01:20 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Don't most bike specific chamois creams contain anti-bacterial stuff, whereas petroleum jelly does not?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-11-12, 01:34 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimblairo
Petroleum based products do not allow the skin to breath and on really hot days the skin is left swimming in sweat and this can result in infections.
I have used Bag Balm for years and don't get infections. Bag balm also contains an antimicrobial agent. Bag balm washes out of my chamois and has not limited the lifespan of the shorts one bit. I find it works better than water based chamois creams since it doesn't get diluted on hot sweaty rides. You can count on bag balm being there at mile 100.
Old 09-11-12, 01:35 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTuner1970
Which is mostly petroleum jelly.
Plus lanolin and an antimicrobial agent.
Old 09-11-12, 01:43 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
That's what I am afraid of!
Lubriderm hand lotion washes right out. It's water soluble. Put some on your hands and hold them underwater it comes tight off. I may have done close to 100 (one hundred) century rides (100 plus miles) At least 3/4 of them using lubriderm. If one has an imitation leather chamois, you can spread the lotion on the chamois the day before. Leave it over night and it soaks in (just like it soaks into your hands, or your butt). Then it does not feel strange when you first start your ride.
Old 09-11-12, 05:09 PM
Gege-Bubu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Have you tried going cream free? Why do you think you need the cream? If your bicycle is set up correctly, if you've got the right saddle for you, and if you are wearing the right clothing for you ... chances are, you don't need it.

Try going without ... you might find you don't need to spend another cent on the stuff.
Yes, I did. If I ride short distances like 35-40 miles I am sure i am ok. But when I ride over 50 miles (quite often) the sweat can cause the problem, not every time, not with every bibs, but enough to make my ride uncomfortable. That is why I'd rather put some chaff prevention cream on before the ride, than healing cream after
Old 09-11-12, 05:31 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts

I have never used chamois cream (30yrs riding) and never had a problem whatever the distance.
Old 09-11-12, 05:32 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I have never used chamois cream (30yrs riding) and never had a problem whatever the distance.
Never used it either. Maybe folks just need better chamois?
Old 09-11-12, 05:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Two pages and no Buffalo Bill reference? This place is going downhill.
Old 09-11-12, 06:04 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Some of my friends can run a marathon with no nipple chafing. Mine are sometimes in agony after a 10K. Not sure what your personal experience has to do with it, but hurray for your sturdy tuchis.
Old 09-11-12, 06:07 PM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by caloso
Two pages and no Buffalo Bill reference? This place is going downhill.
It rubs the lotion on the skin or else it gets real chafed again. Best I can do.
Old 09-12-12, 11:30 AM
Gege-Bubu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is always a first time, and then one will never leave on a ride without a cream.
As I started cycling, I did not care about the cream. However, on one ride I got a light rush between the legs, it was not bad at all, but cream is my friend since then.

I hope you will continue to ride for another 30 plus years and have no chafe problem
Old 09-12-12, 12:21 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is always a first time, and then one will never leave on a ride without a cream.
This could be very perplexing for non-riders. We spend good money for saddles, then more money for shorts with padding to "sit" on those saddles, and then spend more money for creams to put on the padding so we can sit on it without incurring gangreen.
Old 09-12-12, 12:28 PM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...However, on one ride I got a light rush between the legs,...
That actually sounds quite nice!

I don't really use the chamois cream either, but there have been a few times where I used just regular hand lotion down there when I was anticipating having a problem that day. It seemed to work fine.....or else it didn't work at all and I wasn't going to have a problem that day anyway. LOL.
Old 09-12-12, 12:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
It rubs the lotion on the skin or else it gets real chafed again. Best I can do.
Old 09-12-12, 12:32 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimblairo
Petroleum based products do not allow the skin to breath and on really hot days the skin is left swimming in sweat and this can result in infections.
Yes. And as some have mentioned, it is virtually impossible to get out of the pad unless you use hot water which is death for spandex shorts. Further, it gets on your saddle.
Old 09-12-12, 12:58 PM
rbrsddn

Bikes: '98 Rhygin SS road,'99 Fat Chance Ti Fat, '95 Azonic Mtn bike, '88 Giant Sedona.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldBridgeRider
Isn't aquaphor more like a gel for dry skin? I use it now and again on a dry patch, but didn't think it would hold up to be used like a chamois cream.
I've used it for 90 mile rides with no issues. Have used it for 10+ years.
Old 09-12-12, 01:52 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by BustaQuad
Never used it either. Maybe folks just need better chamois?
Or better fitting bicycles.
Or better saddles.

Or they just need to wash themselves periodically during a long ride.
Old 09-12-12, 01:55 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
There have been moments where I've thought that this thread should be merged with the screwy thread about anime jerseys. That one would go well with a discussion about lubricants...
Old 09-12-12, 01:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

As I started cycling, I did not care about the cream. However, on one ride I got a light rush between the legs, it was not bad at all, but cream is my friend since then.

I hope you will continue to ride for another 30 plus years and have no chafe problem

22 years of cycling, over 140,000 km in all sorts of conditions including four 1200K randonnees and all the shorter randonnees leading up to that ... and no need for creams.

I did try a whole bunch of different creams in the summer of 2003. I had completed two seasons of randonneuring by then, including my first 1200K, and was fine, but people told me I'd be more comfortable with cream. So I experimented with all sorts of them, and discovered that by and large, they were awful. I was more uncomfortable with the cream than without.

Sure, on some very long, hot or very long and rainy rides I might get a light rash, but that's easily taken care of ... good hot shower, soap and water, then a light application of zinc oxide cream after the ride. Good to go in the morning.

In all that riding, I've had one and only one saddle sore ... and that had to do with a combination of gel saddle, old loose cycling shorts, and pouring rain. Bad combination.
Old 09-12-12, 04:20 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Throw in a scrotum or two and you might find the need increasing. As I have gotten older, I find I need the creams more and more. Vsoline works though I have found the the thickness to pull at hairs in the nether regions. Chamois creams that are lighter work best for me when needed.
And when they are needed, they really, really help.
Old 09-12-12, 06:02 PM
rebel1916

22 years of cycling, over 140,000 km in all sorts of conditions including four 1200K randonnees and all the shorter randonnees leading up to that ... and no need for creams.

I did try a whole bunch of different creams in the summer of 2003. I had completed two seasons of randonneuring by then, including my first 1200K, and was fine, but people told me I'd be more comfortable with cream. So I experimented with all sorts of them, and discovered that by and large, they were awful. I was more uncomfortable with the cream than without.

Sure, on some very long, hot or very long and rainy rides I might get a light rash, but that's easily taken care of ... good hot shower, soap and water, then a light application of zinc oxide cream after the ride. Good to go in the morning.

In all that riding, I've had one and only one saddle sore ... and that had to do with a combination of gel saddle, old loose cycling shorts, and pouring rain. Bad combination.
Yeah, I don't use it either. But why do you think your experience with a lack of undercarriage tenderness has any bearing on people who do experience said tenderness.
Old 09-12-12, 06:06 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Throw in a scrotum or two
You have two?
Old 09-12-12, 06:49 PM
Paul Y.

Bikes: 2008 Lynskey R220 2005 Lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lubriderm. Works well, washes out easily. All good.
Old 09-12-12, 07:11 PM
trek330

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bag Balm solved all my chafing issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.